1 2
twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
6/29/10 10:40 a.m.

Regular Mazda3 is pretty fun in stock form, runs like an appliance and can be had for under $10k.

Lexus IS250 (first gen)? G35 sedan?

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
6/29/10 11:26 a.m.

I guess I'll throw mine into the mix, though it's getting harder to find clean, unmolested examples.

kingbeann
kingbeann New Reader
7/4/10 1:01 a.m.

Thanks all for the input. I have narrowed the list down but have not yet test driven the options yet. I'm looking at getting rid of my WRX wagon because of terminal rust that would be too costly to properly fix. That said, I still love the car, it just might be time to get something more business & family friendly (although I haven't ruled out another WRX). Here's the finalist list, all have manual transmissions: -2004ish Acura TSX - luxurious all arounder -2004ish Mazda RX-8 - the sportiest of the bunch, but expensive to keep fueled -2005ish Subaru Legacy GT - STi powertrain AND classy... also expensive to fuel -2004ish Subaru Impreza 2.5RS - the bargain of the group, good mileage, I could swap over my current suspension and still have a competent autocrosser -2002-03 Nissan Maxima - high power, good fuel mileage, roomy, although probably heaviest. Just as cheap as the 2.5RS -2002ish Lexus IS300 - small luxurious all arounder like the Acura, worse fuel mileage and worse in the snow -BMW 3 series - paying for a name(?) -BMW 5 series - ""

sanman
sanman New Reader
7/4/10 1:18 a.m.

Mazda 6...cheaper and roomier than a mazda 3

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/4/10 8:15 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
malibuguy wrote: 1st gen scion xB i took mine to summit point, all you need is good wheels & tires
On page 158 of the SCCA Solo Rulebook, the 1st gen Scion xB is specifically named as being not allowed to compete due to stability issues. http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/2010_scca_solo_rules.pdf

maybe they should trying driving it first...i had no issues at all with stability, its a slightly taller & longer Yaris/Echo & only weighs 2450lbs, its not a truck

i know several people that autocross 1st gen xBs with no issues, tho i think i maybe the only one to take one out to a road course

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
7/4/10 9:11 p.m.

i think the stability cutoff is objective, not subjective. IIRC, if the vehicle has a rollover factor (according to NHTSA testing) above a certain point, it's not going to be legal for autoX. i don't know if that's necessarily the case for the xB, but it might be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uEVpFV3yj0X7hyJgVTMxVVOfngjW2epg0aca9QukjOgTGb2NXdexnPDQY0jXNdOB