1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
8/24/10 8:29 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: if i found one in the US, a E30 325iT. the Wagon! In a 5 speed. I would die a happy man.

If you've got $12k I can put you in contact with a super clean Touring for sake with a 5 lug swap and EuroS50......

GR40RACER
GR40RACER New Reader
8/24/10 8:31 p.m.

Pre IRS (< 2003) Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 with a 5.4 V8 and tow package.

Yeah it's boring, but it's a great all around family appliance. How do I know? I've been driving one for the last 10 years, 248,000 miles on the original motor/trans and still going strong.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/24/10 8:37 p.m.

There are two of us in this household. I have the 90 supra...the girly one wants a 99 Celica GT convertible. Then I will need a Land Cruiser...and at the risk of sounding like "stoptheeconobox", an Echo with a big turbo, box flares, AWD swap, and a penchant for winning rallycross nats...

Oh...one car...Miata...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/10 9:33 p.m.

Well, since I can only have one I will take a brand new used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, add a transmission cooler, a set of 18" wheels for the summer and a set of Michelin Arctic Alpines on the stock steelies for the winter.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/24/10 9:40 p.m.

05 Legacy GT with uppipe, downpipe and stage 2 tune.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
8/24/10 9:45 p.m.

actually was just thinking about this today. probably a CTS-V wagon.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/24/10 9:51 p.m.

911 Carrera 4S, maybe targa.

And a set of snow tires.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/10 10:03 p.m.

I'll take an Aston Martin Vanquish please. I have no kids, nothing to haul, and I love them so it would be perfect.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
8/24/10 10:12 p.m.

The Yaris i've been driving for the last year fits the bill for me. It's good on fuel, handles well, comfy on long distances, fits lumber, work supplies and my bike and can haul people. Both the summer tires and the snow tires would all fit in the hatch in one trip too..

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
8/24/10 10:21 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Hypothetical question, based on unrealistic scenarios, also good fun... If you were given a choice of one car to have for all of your activities (drive to work, pick up the kids, go to the grocery store, share with the spouse, autocross, track days, etc). What car would it be? Let's assume there is no budget, but you have to give up all other motorized transportation (non-mass transit).

No spouse, no kids. So I will go with this.

or this

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/25/10 6:52 a.m.

Who makes the swankiest, V8-powered minivan that handles like a Miata? That's my choice.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/25/10 6:57 a.m.

The first thing that comes to mind is a Ford Lightning, because I need to haul stuff...but if I could only have one car, I might not need to haul as much stuff.

I'd probably go with something like a station wagon with an LS1 or something...

Clem

artyboy619
artyboy619 New Reader
8/25/10 7:10 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2: Renault made that F1 Espace concept in the yearly 90's

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/10 7:59 a.m.

Integra Type R... sure there isn't much room in the back for the kiddies but I was riding in the back of a 2dr Chevy Monza when I was their age (which was at least as cramped as the ITR). I managed just fine without multiple cupholders, power outlets, dvd players, etc.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/25/10 8:04 a.m.

There's a guy on Bimmerforums that is selling an E34 Touring (wagon) with a 540i 6 speed conversion... I've been dreaming of a car like that for years...

Removing budget limitations kinda makes this exercise a little silly...

That said, if I could only have one car and was budget-limited, I'd keep the '03 TDI wagon I currently have and mod it a bit to be a better auto-x car (prep for FSP).

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/25/10 8:09 a.m.

In reply to artyboy619:

Yeah, I see those for sale on Craigslist all the time!

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/25/10 8:11 a.m.

It would be this with a 5 speed and supercharged or turbocharged. The do everything vehicle.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/25/10 8:44 a.m.
PS122 wrote: Integra Type R...

It seems everybody I've ever met who has owned one of these says, " I loved that car until it got stolen".

924guy
924guy Dork
8/25/10 9:41 a.m.

one car??? confused...difficult to compute...

If i had to decide right now, i think id have find another audi quattro, preferably in "UR" dress... but a "normal" 4ksq or later equivalent would work fine. large enough, to hual stuff, awd for the nasty weather season and occasional jaunt offroad, decent "quickness" factor, and fun to drive.

given a bit of time, my 931. all of the above minus 2 doors and AWD. but add speed, fuel economy and lightness, especially with the CGT options im adding .

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/10 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

Nice setup. I was thinking of getting WRX seats for my Forester, too. I just have to find some for sale.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
8/25/10 2:01 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: I rather like my wife's 04 Forester XT 5-speed. Right now its pretty much stock with just an STi catback and 02 WRX seats. Its set to get a VF39 (for free!) downpipe and tune. Should put it in the low 13's 1/4 mile. If I were to dream it would have the STi tranny and suspension as well. Only problem is that it is AWD. I love RWD too much. Slide on demand is more fun than grip. So I would probably have to go with a CTS-V wagon, G8 GXP, Roadmaster with an LS3 and 6 speed. Add a hitch and decent size trailer to any of those and I would do just fine.

Just have a bunch of different center diffs for it. There's already a 40/60 split diff you can put in, with all the money you'd save having just one car I'm sure you could have somebody make a 10/90.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/10 2:32 p.m.

The top-spec Ford Flex seats 7, can haul a boat, has AWD, has 300+hp from a twin-turbo V6, can haul clients in leather-lined luxury, has a fridge and TV sets for the kids, has a killer stereo, Sync, and it looks good in black. If I had $54,000, I'd already have one.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/10 2:52 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
PS122 wrote: Integra Type R...
It seems everybody I've ever met who has owned one of these says, " I loved that car until it got stolen".

Mine didn't get stolen. But then again, I didn't like it that much either. Pretty much convinced me that me and FWD don't live on the same planet...

monark192
monark192 Reader
8/25/10 2:59 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Both the summer tires and the snow tires would all fit in the hatch

Some sort of theft prevention..???

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
8/25/10 9:12 p.m.
The top-spec Ford Flex seats 7, can haul a boat, has AWD, has 300+hp from a twin-turbo V6, can haul clients in leather-lined luxury, has a fridge and TV sets for the kids, has a killer stereo, Sync, and it looks good in black. If I had $54,000, I'd already have one.

I give Ford a lot of credit for being the only company to transition their minivan line into a crossover and actually make it way better.

I also think the ecoboost MKT is pretty freakin sweet.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ArUlgZ9h2wN5CvUwXCVd49kEeSQosRFChngUZBxed6yR1E5S2iprpXErBBwJjRHf