1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
1/22/09 10:38 a.m.

Asking for opinions on stock cars in this forum is just not going to happen dude, no stock car is good enough for us, so we tear em up and make em worse...err faster

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/22/09 10:44 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: I would consider many sins to get another 92-93 GSR. Far superior car to the later GSRs, in my opinion.
THAT. FWD Hondas don't even do anything for me and I'd love to have one of these. If by some miracle you find one worth owning.

Seriously... It's just so.... purposeful, and probably one of the best looking cars Honda ever made. Besides of course the NSX and MAYBE the S2000.

And Aztec Green is NIFTY looking. But ridiculously hard to find paint for. I have the 5 last bottles in the midwest of that color touch up paint in my bedroom in a box, just waiting for the day.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/22/09 10:47 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Asking for opinions on stock cars in this forum is just not going to happen dude, no stock car is good enough for us, so we tear em up and make em worse...err faster

Hahah...which is also why i present the 92-93 GSR.

IF you get the urge to do anything, it's still cheap to modify. And honestly, the only things i would do to another one if i got it would be to chuck some Type R cams in there, intake, header, exhaust, flywheel.

And a good strong tune. EASY mid low 14s.

Mine was stock, tuned for 93 octane, and the way it moved in 2nd and 3rd gear was horrifying for a 1.7 litre. 3rd gear feels like another 2nd gear on these cars because of how short it is.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
1/22/09 11:40 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:

I miss my black '91 GS often... although while the drivetrain was still fine at 229K miles (still had the original clutch, even), the body and interior was starting to fall apart. Still, it would have made for a fun track-car if I hadn't traded it...

Every now and then I see a bone-stock GSR on the highway while driving home... the guy driving it looks to be in his 50's...

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/22/09 11:48 a.m.
Ian_F wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
I miss my black '91 GS often... although while the drivetrain was still fine at 229K miles (still had the original clutch, even), the body and interior was starting to fall apart. Still, it would have made for a fun track-car if I hadn't traded it... Every now and then I see a bone-stock GSR on the highway while driving home... the guy driving it looks to be in his 50's...

Haha, that's ironic... i had a 91 GS, black as well. I did some suspension work with it, grew tired of the LS (bad choice i realize later), and sold it to get a GSR.

My GS had Skunk2 coilovers, Slipstreams, Crower 404 cams, 8lb flywheel, intake, header, exhaust, tune, and a YS1 tranny as well. It was a pretty entertaining car.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
1/22/09 7:47 p.m.
And Aztec Green is NIFTY looking.

You're givin' me the shakes. Thats one of the cars I am looking at right now, a 92' (that exact green) GSR. Dude wants $4k firm though and it has 160,000miles on it :(

So if I can find a GSR, do it... its not like the car won't be modified this summer, it'll happen. But not taking modifications into consideration is important, I wouldn't be doing anything serious to it (haha, I are funny).

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
1/22/09 7:55 p.m.

1989-1991 Civic RT AWD Wagon.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
1/22/09 9:48 p.m.

Every now and then you still see a nice '92-'93 GSR. I saw one on Craigslist a few years ago in Austin. It was unmolested and only about 115k (not bad for an at the time 12 year old car).

I was too lazy to go look at it, but probably should have. (In my defense, that's about 2.5 hrs from my house, and I wasn't really in the market.) Would've been a fun beater/occasional track day car.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/23/09 6:34 a.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

The one I DO drive, a '90 si, although any '89-'91 si would work. If I didn't need a back seat, I'd make that any '88-'91 CRX si. They are both a blast to drive!

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/23/09 6:36 a.m.
NONACK wrote: Can't believe nobody's mentioned the late 70's models '78

One of the funnest slow cars I've ever driven! Can't find them in my part of the country though - They all rusted to pieces long ago.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/23/09 6:47 a.m.

Why if you are a college student on a budget are you looking at cars that are

1. overpriced because of the badge on the front

2. Very high on the list of most often stolen cars, which also isnt going to help on insurance

3. Have a reputation of being driven by people who drive like idiots, so attract alot of attention from the cops.

I think you could avoid those problems with a civic 4 door, but other than that id look elsewhere.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
1/23/09 8:14 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Why if you are a college student on a budget are you looking at cars that are 1. overpriced because of the badge on the front 2. Very high on the list of most often stolen cars, which also isnt going to help on insurance 3. Have a reputation of being driven by people who drive like idiots, so attract alot of attention from the cops. I think you could avoid those problems with a civic 4 door, but other than that id look elsewhere.

Actually, since the economy crashed they are priced for what they are worth. After having owned a $1500 1994 Civic with 160,000 miles on it, I know well and good that the buy in price of a Civic is worth EVERY penny. I can get a 92 Si for $2500 that is mint, and has had all the maintainence nobody does (timing belt for instance) done to it.

Second, I've only ever had a car "broken" into because I left it open, and they didn't take anything. I live in a town that has nice suburbs. And before you say something like "you haven't been driving that long" or "you do drive that much", I put on a LOT of k every week and have done so since I started driving almost 5 years ago. Opportunity for people to strike has always been there.

Again, I have never had a cop pull me over and hassle me EVER. I also have never gotten a written ticket. Mabye it is an Alberta thing, but I drive cars that are usually loud, obnoxious, along with driving them quite spiritedly, and have never had a problem. I don't drive like a douche, and I never speed faster then the flow of traffic.

I tried my luck with a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. It was a good deal, but I am really starting to dislike it. It feels like it had the potential to be awesome, then was designed so a grandma could drive it. Add to it that my civic that is more beat with 100,000 more km's on it rattles and clunks less, idles smoother, is just as fast, and gets good gas mileage makes you realize why people love their Civorks so much.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/23/09 8:35 a.m.

I also had a Focus, a 2001 ZX3. Not a bad car, but not a Civic either. And even though it was slower than my si, the best mileage I ever got out of it was 28mpg, compared to 35+ in the Civic. I sold it before it was out of warranty because it spent too much time in the dealer getting repaired. My traffic ticket experience is a little different. I seem to get pulled over more than I should, but when they see my white beard, they always let me go. I owned Civics and CRX's before the younger crowd discovered them, and still drive them, but they really to have the stigma of being a punk's car. IMO, if you really can get a mint 92 si for $2500, do it!

92gsr
92gsr
9/9/09 8:35 p.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

your wat keeps me going everyday

itz nuthin

lost witout you

LONG LOST TWIN BROTHER ) 0352470 OF 4000

haha best investment ever hopefully never gunna with original leather n currently 76,000k its on youtube (b-17 gsr) its came a long way currently intake headers full exhaust system typer r cams now thats bout it i smoke rsx type s this car crazy fast it amazes me really got me into the honda had no clue wat i bought bout two years ago best honda next to the type r ever :))))))) i love it

E36 M3 RIPS

wayslow
wayslow New Reader
9/9/09 9:05 p.m.

My first new car was a 1989 Honda Civic Si. I had the chance to drive one at an autocross a couple of months ago and ever since then I've been considering finding another one. My daughter gets her licence next spring so maybe I'll suggest to my wife that we look for an easy to work on older economy car for her to drive. Do you think they'll notice if I keep taking it?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/9/09 9:10 p.m.

Personally, 6th gen hatch with a 5spd. 96-00, last of the 4 corner double wish bone. My fiance has a 97 LX 4 door, auto. The slush box kills the driving experiance, even tho the handelling feels absolutly direct.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/9/09 9:45 p.m.

My first answer would be a '91 CRX si

I still believe that the '95 EX coupe that I bought new was the best car that I ever owned.

I truely enjoyed driving a friends '89 Integra that he bought new.

His was a 2 door hatch but now I think I would swap that for the versitility of the 4 door hatch.

awebb
awebb New Reader
9/10/09 8:23 a.m.

If you want to get something that'll go undetected by thieves I'd go with a 92-95 Civic 4dr EX. You'll get the D16Z6 (IMO the best D available), sunroof, 5spd, stiffer chassis (rumored of course), rear disc brakes, and the wiring is already setup for a swap. Theives usually aim for hatches and coupe's.

If not the 4dr, a 92-95 Hatch VX/CX.

As far as weight, the only substantial drop in weight was the VX/CX in the 92-95 body style.

I'd stay away from the 96-00 (Y7's and Y8's have poor oiling systems and spin rod bearings daily). Ya you can swap them but I'd rather not play with OBD-II.

If you're willing to get into an EF as a DD the options are a little more open. For instance the 88 Civic Si is the lightest optioned out Si but doing a swap means you're almost always going to lose AC (if it's still there when you buy it). If you're hardcore about weight, go find a CRX Hf. They can be had for about $3k with a swap (again most likely won't have AC).

A CRX Hf with a D16Z6 motor swap (slightly built) and some suspension work would be VERY fun (imo) and you could keep AC.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zn4h214tMWNTTZhXhYKjN7aN3zo0HYCzFoEsPsh5Q3M5Iw4TBZu2Qdh30XUzRTsL