1 2 3 4
03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 3:57 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

I'm not sayin' it's right, but yeah, this idiot would overload every time. Drive slow, though.

Well said!

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/26/22 4:01 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to triumph7 :

Unless I missed something, and all the "abuse the rental" guys saw him ask about a rented situation, the OP orig. question was about his own van.  the 6-7 other folks may be right and I'm (being only one person) might be wrong... we'd have to ask the op. 

no it is 100% a rented van. I have a minivan, which I managed to bring home 1700lbs in a trip yesterday. But figured F this let's not abuse my own vehicle. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/26/22 4:13 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Nope. 

OP stated it was a rented van halfway down page 1. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/26/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to twowheeled :

Again, why rent a van to haul bricks?

Rent a dump trailer. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 4:28 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Nope. 

OP stated it was a rented van halfway down page 1. 

Thanks. Missed that! Most of our answers just became irrelevant; mine for sure. Rental, two options. Do it, it's a rental. Or rent the appropriate thing. 
there. Settled. laugh

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/26/22 4:43 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

due to having to back up the trailer up a narrow 7' wide lane to get to the bricks on pallets. Or else we would have to double handle them by lifting them into a wheelbarrow then pushing them out to the street. Also the largest uhaul 6x12 double axle trailer only handles 2600lb. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/22 5:14 p.m.

No one weighs everything they put into a Uhaul to make sure they stay under the GVWR, to assume someone is doing that is just absurd. 

The biggest thing would be to just look over the tires on the rental van when you pick them up. A lot of Uhaul's equipment comes with nails pre-installed in the tread, I recently found that out the hard way. Twice!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/26/22 5:19 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Please go read the terms of those mega policies ? Before  you make statements like that. The policy I had is a supplemental to existing policies.  The language on them is very clear that should I be sued They will defend me.   That ensures I get a good  attorney because as you say they don't want to pay out. 
 Since you work with attorneys. You are well aware there are good litigators and poor litigators.   The simplest way to determine the strength of the case is how the attorney is paid.  If he is doing it on spec that attorney feels confident. If on the other hand the attorney is hired.   Well•••••   
  Finally  in the many decades I've been driving,  often overloaded  I've never gotten an accident, a ticket, or even so much as a warning.  

My best guess is many vehicles  are overloaded.   Yet few are ever prosecuted.  A whole lot fewer are ever sued.  While it can happen the numbers indicate it seldom does happen. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/26/22 5:30 p.m.

I once managed to liad 499 bushels of barley in a 63 GMC 960 3 ton truck.

Barley is somewhere around 49 pounds to the bushel.  The gvwr on the truck was around 12,000 pounds.  The scales were somewhere around 20,000 pounds. (All numbers from 45 year old memories.)

It will be fine.

wae
wae PowerDork
7/26/22 6:24 p.m.

I may have done my maths wrong when I brought home the tile for my house.  They slid a skid of ceramic tile in the back of my Excursion and I drove it the 15 or 20 miles home.  The steering was a little light, but I got all 2200 pounds of tile home okay.  I could have sworn that much tile was only going to weigh 1200 pounds and be well within the 1670lb payload rating!

Folgers
Folgers Reader
7/26/22 7:13 p.m.

I believe we are doing this thread wrong.

We as a community should turn this into “How much overloaded have you driven, and got away with it.” 

Keep narrations relevant to vehicle payload. 

Ill go first. 4,000lbs in the blue 2500, 3,000 in the green one, and 2,000 in the grey 1500 to the right. 90 miles one way, nobody seemed to notice. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/26/22 7:26 p.m.

I once towed a 3100 pound race car on a tandem axle trailer with spare tires, tools, gas, etc. behind an 86 4cyl S10. 

For 3 years. With no trailer brakes. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/22 7:31 p.m.

I put 8 of those concrete commercial parking curb stops in the back of my 73 Impala station wagon and hitched a 7800-lb trailer to the home-fabbed receiver hitch.  No trailer brakes.  I just pumped up the air shocks and drove it 75 miles.  Did great.

It did pop an air shock somewhere along the way.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 8:05 p.m.

So, so many times. Between me and Frenchyd, we can win this one!

Closest relivant ; 04 Tundra V6 at, single cab plain Jane work truck long bed. Our towed and out worked my pos 99 dodge 5.2. By far. My sisters house is walk in front, 2 story in back. We built a 16' x 16' deck off upper floor, with a full flight of stairs. the delivery charge was too high, so I picked up 90% of it... hanging out the back of the 8'bed! Didn't go to a Cat scales, so no clue, but probably triple the rating? Maybe more!

Front tires VERY loose. 
I did stay to about 55-60 in I95 (Richmond) with traffic doing 70+
Fad was riding with me, know how loose it was, but knew I had it covered. He got the rest in his Oddy the next day, after I headed to a job out of town

Just one of many, sadly

do as I say, not as I do

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/26/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to twowheeled :

A van still sucks for hauling bricks, and UHaul is the wrong place to rent construction equipment. 

Home Depot rents a 7x14' dump trailer with a payload of 5800 lbs. 

Ok, so the issue is that you aren't so good at backing a trailer?  Hire someone who can. Or hire a landscaper with a small dump truck. Or borrow a beat up pickup truck. Or hire a larger dump truck and driver and haul it entirely in one load. Or rent a bobcat to haul the bricks up the driveway.

Im having trouble offering support to a thread that starts with admitting the load is illegal and unsafe, then wants to rent the wrong equipment to get the job done well. 

You are already double handling.  I'm offering you suggestions to REDUCE handling.

What are you going to say to the rental company if that load of bricks shifts in transit and dents the side of the van from the inside out?

A van is the wrong tool for the job to haul bricks.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/26/22 8:16 p.m.

I'll second the suggestion to get a dump trailer. A van is a pretty miserable way to load/unload bricks.

I would never overload a vehicle:

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
7/26/22 8:16 p.m.

"Can I overload a rental van" was the question. 

"Here's a photo of my house" is Frenchys answer. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/26/22 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Don't go there. 

Most of us already know the story of how Frenchy hauled 14 forests of timber over the course of 3 decades with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet with a half million miles on it. 

The picture works. I'll allow it. I'm glad to see the repeat of the story avoided. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
7/26/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Photo was on page 1, photo and story was on page 2, just in case...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/26/22 8:24 p.m.

The bricks are already on pallets??

Forget renting a van. Call a local building supply with a piggyback forklift, and pay them to pick up the load and bring it to your house. Probably cheaper than the van rental. 

I've had similar loads picked up and delivered for $25.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/26/22 8:36 p.m.

Wait they're on pallets??

If that idea doesn't work, maybe get a hydraulic drop deck trailer and a pallet jack? Easy roll on/off. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/26/22 9:17 p.m.
SV reX said:

Most of us already know the story of how Frenchy hauled 14 forests of timber over the course of 3 decades with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet with a half million miles on it. 

Please, if you’re going to tell the story, tell the whooole story.

He did that while rescuing a herd of 100 (or 1000) moose (or mooses or mice) from a raging forest fire and wearing only a . . . speedo.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 9:54 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Don't go there. 

The picture works. I'll allow it. I'm glad to see the repeat of the story avoided. 

Can't count the number of unrelated threads that's been told on! I do believe he overloaded it a LOT, and still got 371K. I also believe that truck still has the original shocks. What I don't believe is the original shocks were good for 371K, as he has claimed. It's been the same as not having a shocks for a long, long time surprise

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/22 12:15 a.m.

Check and adjust the tire pressure as necessary if you're hauling near the load limit on a rental. 

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/27/22 1:06 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to twowheeled :

A van still sucks for hauling bricks, and UHaul is the wrong place to rent construction equipment. 

Home Depot rents a 7x14' dump trailer with a payload of 5800 lbs. 

Ok, so the issue is that you aren't so good at backing a trailer?  Hire someone who can. Or hire a landscaper with a small dump truck. Or borrow a beat up pickup truck. Or hire a larger dump truck and driver and haul it entirely in one load. Or rent a bobcat to haul the bricks up the driveway.

Im having trouble offering support to a thread that starts with admitting the load is illegal and unsafe, then wants to rent the wrong equipment to get the job done well. 

You are already double handling.  I'm offering you suggestions to REDUCE handling.

What are you going to say to the rental company if that load of bricks shifts in transit and dents the side of the van from the inside out?

A van is the wrong tool for the job to haul bricks.

yea trust me, I know what you're saying. I work in construction and double handling makes me upset.

We did the job with the van, it was fine but a bit of work. It wasn't going to save much work with a trailer. The person selling the bricks had them stacked in a dumb inaccessible spot on rotten pallets, and we had to load them into a cart, move them down a narrow mulch walkway out to the curb and into the back of a van. We just didn't have the room for a 12' trailer and towing vehicle. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vou7c2H8DkVcbmSARuIgfFQ6VwVcmslUPZryiiFVoX0YbRJY0eourqkomTDTct8R