1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/18 6:52 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Yessssss! You're going to have fun. Fly and drive is the best. 

Agreed! I've done two fly and drives, and two drive and drives.

OP have a safe trip! 

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/18 7:34 a.m.

Layover in Atlanta? Definitely don’t open Craigslist just to kill time. They have Uber and banks. Bad things could happen. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/12/18 9:08 a.m.

Hello Tulsa. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/18 9:09 a.m.

Fly and drives are fun, have a good time and stay dry.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/12/18 9:10 a.m.

You keep showing us these amazing autocross sited with airplanes on them. Not fair. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/12/18 9:11 a.m.
glueguy said:

Layover in Atlanta? Definitely don’t open Craigslist just to kill time. They have Uber and banks. Bad things could happen. 

With how much I travel for work, ATL is a second home. I mainly fly Delta out of Melbourne which mean a connection through ATL. 

Lucky for me I had no time to browse. My inbound was late and i had to go 4 terminals over in ATL. by the time I deplaned and crossed terminals they were boarding zone 4. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/12/18 9:12 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Airplanes have all the fun :) 

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
9/12/18 9:20 a.m.

Great day to pick up the Miata, weather is about as good as it gets here!  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/12/18 9:34 a.m.
dclafleur said:

Great day to pick up the Miata, weather is about as good as it gets here!  

That's good! It's overcast and gray just 110 miles down the turnpike in OKC.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/12/18 10:59 a.m.

Adult beverages, dinner and live music on the lake by my house tonight. Weather is 81 degrees and clear. You're only eight and a half hours away.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/12/18 1:15 p.m.

Following the tall one on Google Maps. Just saw him late Apex the on-ramp to I-40. Also saw speed increased dramatically. All appears to be good in hot rod Miata world. Next stop Little Rock.

ETA Madison Mississippi 8:12 p.m. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/13/18 9:30 a.m.

Nordic has left the building.  Got to ride in NC with 2.5 POWAH...I have to say pretty impressive lil torque beast.  

Beers and burgers last nite...big breakfast this morning.  NS HEADED S in NC.  Great visit.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/13/18 9:45 a.m.

I'll be curious to hear if he got to hit that little patch of road outside of Hulbert and what he thought of it.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/13/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I think he headed straight out of Tulsa to Little Rock and points Beyond. He got to do some back road driving in the Mississippi Delta but it was getting close to dark. I do know he did have a few sections where he may have hit Triple digits. But I'm not talking.  He did make pretty good time getting down to my house.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/13/18 10:20 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

You can take I20 across. Not much better than I10 but you can avoid the Baton Rouge/NO mess. Just don't be surprised by some of the odors in Monroe. There is a funk there for sure. From there, take US 80 and then US 231 back down to I10 just before Birmingham. 

I can't tell you how many times crossing the Mississippi River at Baton Rouge on I-10 has cost me more than an hour of sitting in heavy traffic.  The busiest interstate in the country goes down to 1 lane at the east bank side of the river bridge.  I'm talking a 10 mile backup that occurs all the time.   

For some cool roads try the route through Southwest Missouri/Northwest Arkansas.  Nice, curvy, mountain roads for miles through a national forest heading down to Hot Springs.   You catch I-20 in Ruston, La.   Hot Springs to Ruston is straight out of "Brother, Where art thou?"..   Vicksburg has cool sites commemorating The War Between the States.   (For the real "Brother, Where art thou?" site  you have to detour to Yazoo City)

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/13/18 11:15 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

He didn't go that far south. Route to Mississippi was mostly I_40 Tulsa to Little Rock to Lake Village 2 Yazoo City to Madison. Picture along the way in Arkansas yesterday fueling up

Left Jackson this morning heading to Hattiesburg then mobile, Pensacola, Tallahassee, then I-75 south to Melbourne

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/13/18 1:51 p.m.

Day 1, Part 1

Picking up where I left off. I landed at TUL about 30 minutes before I had expected and made my way out to the loading area. I texted the seller and he said he was 5 minutes out. So, I stood there in agony of meeting my new toy. Finally it arrived.

I rode as passenger in the car on the way back to the seller’s house. I was impressed with how smooth the car was and how well it handled the corners. It was very flat and composed. The seller and I shared some casual chit chat on the way, but mainly I was listening for any nasty noises coming from the car.

We got to the sellers house and dI took a critical eye to the car. Cosmetically, the car was rougher than I would have expected. There were more dents on the car than I had expected and the interior of the car was vas covered with a thin layer of red dust. I convinced myself that the dust was a non issue and evaluated discussing the dents with the seller, but quickly came to the decision I was in no position to negotiate. The dent were are roundish and did not have a defined crease, so I decided to let it go and call a paintless dent repair guy when I got home.

From here, It was time for a test drive. I jumped in the driver seat and the seller in the passenger. The first problem I had was I could not fint first gear… Left and forward… nope… Left and forward… nope… OK maybe a notchy syncro… lets find second… Left and down… nope… nope… eventually I found first. It seems that first is left left than most other cars. The seller said this was the same for his car and is probably because of the Delrin Engine/transmission mounts. OK, I can live with that.

Were moving! I’m driving my 2.5L miata for the first time! I stop at the stop sign and take my first turn, get on the gas and cururssrrrssrsrrsrgggg. What! I let off… nothing… back in gear and accelerate and crurrggugggg… We have some rubbing coming from the back driver’s side tire of the car. I ask the seller if he had ever heard that before. No, never been a problem. I guess my extra 40 lbs on him and x2 peopl in the car made a difference. You have a fender roller? Yep.

About 40 minutes later we have the left year wheel well rolled and it should not be aproblem any more. I consider everything and just decide to let everything be deal wise. The car seems well put together and mechanically, better than I expected. We do the paperwork. Seller lets me keep his plate on it and off we go.

Time to get on the road. Luckilly, I made it out of Tulsa before my noon goal time. I left the seller’s house before 11AM.

Initial Impressions: This car is solid. Steering feel is direct. There are no strange clunks. The shifter moves with intuitive motion. The chassis is stiff. This thing is awesome. The only thing that was a bit strage is the motor has a ton of torque, but kinda dies off around 4000 rpm. I know Keith said this was a truck motor, but this seems strage. So, initially, I am a bit disappointed with the engine performance, despite the additional displacement, exhaust, and tune. Anyway, lets get some miles on it.

Time to go road hunting

Google Photos Link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZyyVPyUkDw4mgzfS8

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/18/18 8:38 a.m.

Okay. You made it home. You been able to play with the car for a week or so. Give us your initial impressions of the 2.5 p o w a h!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O2SuQP2BZpVc78XaIgbZ46OBkdDL97JJ1On3GAXQf4d9ObaCJdvrVWbOZJSpBh4h