1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/5/19 1:31 p.m.

Some of you may remember my thread about repairing or replacing my TrailBlazer. My mind is made up, I'm going to repair it, but I got to thinking about the numbers, and the wheels got to turning, and here we are.

I drive a garbage truck, and I'm out there by myself. No one to talk to, and my mind wanders along to some really odd places sometimes, here's what I'm thinking.

I'm going to keep track of the numbers I spend on repairs and maintenance on my TrailBlazer. Making it a pseudo build thread. Maintenance log perhaps? Conversely, I'm going to add up and keep track of a hypothetical replacement. How much I would be spending on insurance, car note, and maintenance on a replacement truck. As I go, I'm going to keep a rolling tally and see what the numbers are.

Here's where I'm enlisting your help.

I'd like you guys suggest 4 or 5 suitable replacements, and I'll pick one, gather some data and use that.

I'm hypothetically shopping for something just like what the TrailBlazer is now, which means we're looking for:

• Five passenger, four door SUV
  • Four wheel drive
  • Mid-size
  • Around 2012 to 2017 model years

Once I have some suggestions, I'll get rolling on shopping locally, and I'll begin putting this together. I'll also be repairing and modernizing the TrailBlazer as we go.

I've got my ideas, but I'm curious what you guys come up with.

I'm open to suggestions about this endeavor as well. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/5/19 1:32 p.m.

2017 Highlander

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/5/19 2:18 p.m.

tahoe?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/5/19 2:43 p.m.

Grand Cherokee

Pathfinder

Envoydevil

Rainierdevil

Ascenderdevil

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/5/19 2:46 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

2017 Highlander

Other good options include:

2016 Highlander

2015 Highlander

2014 Highlander

2013 Highlander

2012 Highlander

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/5/19 2:48 p.m.

All the garbage men I know drive pickup trucks.  

My sisters were both in the garbage business.  Say around 1978 all my sisters friends were garbage men and she would put two cans of beer (Old Style) on the top of my dads garbage under the lid for her buddy for his lunch.  

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/5/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Well, the idea is to get it close to apples to apples as I can, across model years.

I drive this mostly because I abhor the prices of crew cab full-size trucks. That and it fell in my lap. I don't even particularly like it.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/19 3:01 p.m.

2012 R350

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/5/19 3:14 p.m.

Off thread - protect your hearing.  

One guy after 30 years of driving garbage literally screams at you since his hearing is shot.  My other buddy at age 53 has the same issue after30 years of operating cranes and earth movers.   Those hydraulic pumps can get loud.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/5/19 3:15 p.m.

If you're tossing in a FWD based highlander, might as well through in the Sorento and Sante Fe. Both are really good at being people haulers, durable and cheaper than the standard toyota/honda offerings. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/5/19 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I do what I can, but I'm by myself so I stop the truck, climb out, walk to the back, throw trash, walk back, climb in. Repeat 300x.

Nobody to look out for cars, so I'd be constantly adding and removing my hearing protection because I have to listen for cars coming. Because people are idiots and don't pay attention and are in way too much of a hurry to worry about a garbage man or his safety.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/19 4:44 p.m.

4Runner.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
12/5/19 5:26 p.m.

I have a Highlander, it is great for what it is/supposed to do

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/5/19 6:31 p.m.

In reply to BlindPirate :

There can only be one Highlander...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/19 8:50 p.m.

97x Aero 

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
12/6/19 5:01 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

4Runner.

Can't believe it took this long. 4 Runner all day long. /Thread.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/19 5:36 a.m.

MDX

Don49
Don49 Dork
12/6/19 6:33 a.m.

+1 for the Sante Fe

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/6/19 7:02 a.m.
Dave M said:
Brett_Murphy said:

4Runner.

Can't believe it took this long. 4 Runner all day long. /Thread.

The 4Runner was first on my list.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/6/19 7:34 a.m.

I see no mention of budget here.  But being a masochist, I say Touareg V6 gas.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/19 7:46 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

MDX

Masochist much?

Armitage
Armitage Dork
12/6/19 8:30 a.m.

If you can figure out what the original out-the-door price was for the TrailBlazer and then convert it into 2019 dollars, maybe you can narrow down the list of potentials by keeping your choice in the same ballpark.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 8:46 a.m.

If I were cross-shopping a TrailBlazer, I would assume that I was looking for something practical and affordable, so no Range Rovers or exotica.

To me, the most obvious rivals would be the Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, and the Hyundai Santa Fe. I'd rule out the Hyundai because most are ugly and I would replace it with the Sorento from Kia. The older Highlanders are flared-fender goodness, the newer ones are so ugly I'd have to put a bag over them, so the year matters there.  Explorers are all pretty good looking IMHO, so get the best you can afford.

The next option would be something from Jeep, price may rule out a Grand Cherokee, but perhaps a Cherokee or Compass?

Mitsubishi SUVs are pretty cheap new, according to the ads I hear around here, and you would have a full warranty. That's an interesting comparison to consider.

Many people also cross-shop minivans, so add an AWD Sienna to the mix perhaps?

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/19 11:18 a.m.

I will echo most of the suggestions here, but I would avoid some of the American ones.  When compared to the asian offerings, they just pale in comparison in categories like build quality, reliability, and quality of materials.

Highlander/4runner are fantastic choices.

I can't really get behind some of the smaller SUVs like the Santa Fe.  They are fantastic cars, but the point is... they are cars.  A CRV is a lifted civic.  A RAV4 is a lifted Corolla.  Fine if you need an appliance that carries 5 people, but I don't consider them SUVs at all.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
12/6/19 11:32 a.m.

I love our 2017 CRV awd lx. We normally get 30-31 MPG. It will be a little small for us when we have children but that is because my wife likes to take the cat and guinea pigs with us when we go to the in laws house for the weekend. Nothing but oil changes and tires so far. My wife likes to find nails + screws. If the CRV or RAV4 is big enough the MPG and low maintenance have outstanding savings. 

Other than that we have never had a maintenance issue with extended families 2012 highlander, 10 Tacoma, 08 4Runner. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
05V1JhSMqbMsNVOxGJNldpdwn1fTpcMyWx26H08nSsiUVz7H4arPKitkCsIepMMk