TyGystics
TyGystics New Reader
12/31/16 11:07 a.m.

Now what? 1987. 249,500 miles. Not a single service record. "Clean Carfax..." I bought this car from a dealership that didn't have time to work on, so it sat on their back lot for 3 years. They threw a jump-box on it yesterday, drove it to the inspection place and brought it back. It runs ok, but it looks like death. The original red paint is faded on 80% of the car, the interior is missing about 20% of its parts like visors, sunroof clips, radio and a couple speakers. The previous owner was nice enough to add A pillar gauges for boost and air/fuel. Super helpful on a NA car. I believe the fuel gauge is broken as is the speedo and the gauge cluster lights. Seats are ripped, and some carpet is missing from the hatch area. Tach works and the A/C and heat work.

Im looking to fix a few things and sell at a profit. The gas in the tank is 3 years old, but the car runs. I plan on doing a new fuel filter, tune up, fluids, ect.

I want to put no more than 500 dollars into this. Out of the stuff listed, should I try to fix up the interior or throw a maaco paint job on it?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/31/16 12:35 p.m.

Buff it. Iirc guards red isn't a clear coat paint. You might be able to bring it back up, and fill any holes in the interior so it looks like a complete car.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/31/16 12:37 p.m.

My instinctive guess, which is worth exactly what you are paying for it, is that fixing the interior will be more productive if your goal is a flip. I THINK that the kind of people who will respond to a semi-resurrected 944 with A-pillar gauges (even unconnected ones) will accept paint issues as normal, but be turned off by niggling interior problems that take similar amounts of time & money to fix but aren't "Real Car Stuff."

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
12/31/16 12:54 p.m.

$500 cage and Spec 944 it.

Profit? Can't put a price on wheel-to-wheel racing.

TyGystics
TyGystics New Reader
12/31/16 12:59 p.m.

In reply to oldtin: Ill try that. One side of the car is noticeably shinier than the other. Would like to even them out (in a good way...)

TyGystics
TyGystics New Reader
12/31/16 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel:

Yeah. Its like 2 goats lived in there. Nothing is perfect and I keep noticing more missing like the lid to the center console, random hardware from where Im guessing it had been taken apart before, and the entire spare tire assembly.

TyGystics
TyGystics New Reader
12/31/16 1:07 p.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT:

There is nothing I would love more, but right now, I am just flipping. Maybe I'll post it as a "Potential Future" Spec 944 car.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/16 1:18 p.m.

Well, aside from the issues you've noted already, I wouldn't put much money in it unless you plan on replacing the timing/balance shaft belts, rollers, seals, water pump along with the coolant hoses. Otherwise known as a FOES or Front Of Engine Service. Without that, the car is worth scrap in the 944 world or as a donor for a race car build or race car repair.

Here's a site with a guide on what to look for when purchasing a 944 along with repair info:

Clarks-Garage

That said, the interior stuff isn't terribly hard to fix on those as people are parting them all the time for race cars, etc. The parts generally hold up well and you can even get new skins for the seats, new carpet sets, etc.

The fact that it has the later style interior makes it easier still since it shares parts with more of the 944/968 series than the old stuff that shared parts with the 924.

I would go price out the FOES service, how much interior parts will cost you and then compare that to what the cars sell for in your area before turning too many wrenches on it. It might make more sense to part it out or keep it for your own amusement.

Typical places I look at for parts and information: Clarks-Garage, RockAuto, Garage-9, Pelican Parts, Only944, eBay, Rennbay, Rennlist, Redline, Ideola's Garage, Lindsey Racing and a few others.

Good luck!

docwyte
docwyte Dork
12/31/16 3:52 p.m.

What Stefan said. I can't imagine there's a whole lot of meat on the bone left here for profit on this car for you.

TyGystics
TyGystics New Reader
12/31/16 7:06 p.m.
docwyte wrote: What Stefan said. I can't imagine there's a whole lot of meat on the bone left here for profit on this car for you.

Yeah, that was the impulse part of the purchase. It would make a great parts car for exterior stuff and Im guessing the engine and trans have been rebuilt, but I have no idea how long ago. The Spec 944 idea is growing on me too.

TyGystics
TyGystics New Reader
12/31/16 7:09 p.m.
Stefan wrote: Well, aside from the issues you've noted already, I wouldn't put much money in it unless you plan on replacing the timing/balance shaft belts, rollers, seals, water pump along with the coolant hoses. Otherwise known as a FOES or Front Of Engine Service. Without that, the car is worth scrap in the 944 world or as a donor for a race car build or race car repair. Here's a site with a guide on what to look for when purchasing a 944 along with repair info: Clarks-Garage That said, the interior stuff isn't terribly hard to fix on those as people are parting them all the time for race cars, etc. The parts generally hold up well and you can even get new skins for the seats, new carpet sets, etc. The fact that it has the later style interior makes it easier still since it shares parts with more of the 944/968 series than the old stuff that shared parts with the 924. I would go price out the FOES service, how much interior parts will cost you and then compare that to what the cars sell for in your area before turning too many wrenches on it. It might make more sense to part it out or keep it for your own amusement. Typical places I look at for parts and information: Clarks-Garage, RockAuto, Garage-9, Pelican Parts, Only944, eBay, Rennbay, Rennlist, Redline, Ideola's Garage, Lindsey Racing and a few others. Good luck!

That is a helluva resource. Thank you!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/16 7:32 p.m.

I'd see if Charli Tameris wants it for a rally chassis and what he wouldn't need from it. Agree upon a price and pull what's not needed to sell on the pcar forums.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/1/17 6:22 p.m.

Fix the little niggling things, then just drive it. I can't imagine that you'd profit much and I hate to see another 944 parted out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/17 7:02 p.m.
TyGystics wrote:
Stefan wrote: Well, aside from the issues you've noted already, I wouldn't put much money in it unless you plan on replacing the timing/balance shaft belts, rollers, seals, water pump along with the coolant hoses. Otherwise known as a FOES or Front Of Engine Service. Without that, the car is worth scrap in the 944 world or as a donor for a race car build or race car repair. Here's a site with a guide on what to look for when purchasing a 944 along with repair info: Clarks-Garage That said, the interior stuff isn't terribly hard to fix on those as people are parting them all the time for race cars, etc. The parts generally hold up well and you can even get new skins for the seats, new carpet sets, etc. The fact that it has the later style interior makes it easier still since it shares parts with more of the 944/968 series than the old stuff that shared parts with the 924. I would go price out the FOES service, how much interior parts will cost you and then compare that to what the cars sell for in your area before turning too many wrenches on it. It might make more sense to part it out or keep it for your own amusement. Typical places I look at for parts and information: Clarks-Garage, RockAuto, Garage-9, Pelican Parts, Only944, eBay, Rennbay, Rennlist, Redline, Ideola's Garage, Lindsey Racing and a few others. Good luck!
That is a helluva resource. Thank you!

I am an administrator over there. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to pm me.

First thing is change the timing and balance belts. Inspect the rollers and replace as needed. Also consider a water pump. I do them every other belt change. As a point of reference I do belts every two years regardless of mileagenanda I never let a belt go more than 60k. I have never had a failure using this pattern. There are others out there that will tell you different. Back in the day the belts were of much lesser quality. Modern manufacturing and modern materials have greatly improved there quality. Don't let a belt change scare you. It is in many ways easier than most cars. Especially since it is not a transverse mounted motor.

Anyway I could babble on about these cars. Get the timing belts sorted and then drive it a bit to see what else is needed.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/17 7:24 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Don't let a belt change scare you. It is in many ways easier than most cars. Especially since it is not a transverse mounted motor.

Isn't there some special Porsche tool you need for the job, though?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/17 9:21 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Don't let a belt change scare you. It is in many ways easier than most cars. Especially since it is not a transverse mounted motor.
Isn't there some special Porsche tool you need for the job, though?

Nope. Just a belt tensioner tool, which can sometimes be borrowed. Generally the timing belt should be tight enough to turn a half a turn and the balance shaft can be twisted a little over 90 degrees.

The turn off is the price for parts, especially compared to BMW parts, but that's just life with a Porsche.

dean1484
1/1/17 11:54 p.m.

You don't need the tool. The porschedule one is expensive. The krickett one is cheep and works ok. I have always done them by feel. Check the tension of the belts before you take them off by twisting them with your thumb and four finger. They are actually looser than you would think. There are some thin wrenches that make adjusting things easier but not absolutely necessary. There is also a flywheel lock tool but a big screwdriver wedged on the flywheel works fine and you don't have to take the starter out to install the lock.

Really these cars are easy to work on.

dean1484
1/1/17 11:57 p.m.

Your car is an 87 so it will most likely have the auto tensioner for the belt so it is almost fool-proof to tension the belt.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
1/14/17 6:53 p.m.

Congrats!

Do it, I have 2 944s now. Both 87.. Picked up this one last week. Busted Timing Belt. Luckily I have a few friends with skills and spare engines.

Front

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YljoZCGruZ3kvFubfoQulklaAyjf3FkiDEkYOzCSctgRjvofoyGpoxicXe39ntCb