1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/19/22 4:05 p.m.
feature_image

NASCAR announced today plans to run a street circuit in Chicago in 2023, a first for the Cup Series.

Set for July 2, 2023, the race will be preceded by an IMSA-sanctioned race on July 1.

The planned 2.2-mile circuit will feature 12 turns and incorporate Lake Shore Drive, Michigan Avenue and Columbus Drive, with the start-finish line and pit …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/19/22 4:09 p.m.

I'm 100% on board for this.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/19/22 4:16 p.m.

OK, I have to ask: Where do people feel there will be opportunities to pass? I'm betting turns 4 and 6 will be action-packed.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/19/22 4:21 p.m.

This track has existed in iRacing for a while and it's sketchy AF. The numerous square corners after long traights make for a few good passing spots, but that whole section from 7-11 is basically one car wide. So they're either going to have to do some real road engineering to get it better than the sim or theyre going to need a LOT of tow trucks.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
7/19/22 4:26 p.m.

Looks like a FE track. 4000 pound monster with 850 Horsepower, should get the city some new buildings and a park laugh

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

So SCCA Regional the Thursday before? 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
7/19/22 5:53 p.m.

Too many 90s for my taste.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/19/22 7:44 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Looks like a FE track. 4000 pound monster with 850 Horsepower, should get the city some new buildings and a park laugh

Well 3200lbs and 670 hp

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/19/22 10:56 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Too many 90s for my taste.

I live in the Chicago 'burbs.  I know these streets - those 90's suck.  The ones onto Michigan Avenue?   LOL.  

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
7/20/22 11:40 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Maybe we could get The Outfield to play the infield to inject some 80s into the mix?

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
7/20/22 3:38 p.m.

^If hiring a band is easy way to move track barriers, sidewalks and buildings, every street race should have a band

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/22 3:54 p.m.

There's hardly any space for passing on those roads, but it doesn't seem to stop the locals!

I'd totally go watch something like this!

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/22 5:30 p.m.

Ok so who runs a Blues Brothers themed black-and-white?

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
7/20/22 6:48 p.m.

Won't closing Lakeshore paralyze Chicago traffic?  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/22 6:34 a.m.
 
stafford1500 said:

Ok so who runs a Blues Brothers themed black-and-white?

I'd guess Corey LaJoie.  His team doesn't miss a chance to have a fun car. 
 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/22 9:42 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

Ok so who runs a Blues Brothers themed black-and-white?

I was thinking that as well. 

"Well, this is definitely Lower Wacker Drive."

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/21/22 11:27 a.m.

They (nascar) can't even drive in a circle correctly....

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/22 11:50 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

Won't closing Lakeshore paralyze Chicago traffic?  

Trucks (including pickup trucks) already need to find another way. So at least we know alternate routes exist?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/21/22 11:55 a.m.

Those hard 90 corners look killer. I'm curious but I don't have high hopes. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
7/21/22 1:23 p.m.

Chicago shuts down those streets for events all the time throughout the summer.  I have run 5k's down LSD on more than one occasion and they find a way to make it work.  

I do think it's funny that the same week that Chicago alderman advocate to pass laws that limit street racing / drifting in Chicago they also allow a 'street race' to the city.  

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-controversial-ordinances-up-to-vote-at-chicago-city-council-10k-fines-for-illegal-street-racing-and-speed-camera-tickets/2886197/

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/22 1:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
stafford1500 said:

Ok so who runs a Blues Brothers themed black-and-white?

I was thinking that as well. 

"Well, this is definitely Lower Wacker Drive."

Now I am going to have to PhotoShop a paint scheme just for fun

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/22 2:42 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

Chicago shuts down those streets for events all the time throughout the summer.  I have run 5k's down LSD on more than one occasion and they find a way to make it work.  

I do think it's funny that the same week that Chicago alderman advocate to pass laws that limit street racing / drifting in Chicago they also allow a 'street race' to the city.  

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-controversial-ordinances-up-to-vote-at-chicago-city-council-10k-fines-for-illegal-street-racing-and-speed-camera-tickets/2886197/

Well, we also have a perfectly good nascar track here that we are closing down because "no one likes nascar anymore" (or some other nonsense).

Maybe we should let the street racers use the high speed oval? I think that's another event I might be interested in watching...

Edit: for the street racers on the oval, can we take a step back toward horse racing? Give everyone 1 lap from a standing start and go 8 wide. All racers have to choose crazy names for their cars, and the real event for attendees is the betting. It could be fun, right?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/22 2:48 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
ClearWaterMS said:

Chicago shuts down those streets for events all the time throughout the summer.  I have run 5k's down LSD on more than one occasion and they find a way to make it work.  

I do think it's funny that the same week that Chicago alderman advocate to pass laws that limit street racing / drifting in Chicago they also allow a 'street race' to the city.  

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-controversial-ordinances-up-to-vote-at-chicago-city-council-10k-fines-for-illegal-street-racing-and-speed-camera-tickets/2886197/

Well, we also have a perfectly good nascar track here that we are closing down because "no one likes nascar anymore" (or some other nonsense).

Maybe we should let the street racers use the high speed oval? I think that's another event I might be interested in watching...

Robbie, are you speaking of the oval on the other side of Joliet or the old horse track turned car track in Cicero?

I have been at both with professionally sanctioned events and would much prefer the Joliet track. However, the street course brings lots of new eyes and is a spectacle that just happens to have car racing around. Think Long Beach. Not a great track to watch in person but the people watching is GREAT.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/21/22 2:52 p.m.
stafford1500 said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
ClearWaterMS said:

Chicago shuts down those streets for events all the time throughout the summer.  I have run 5k's down LSD on more than one occasion and they find a way to make it work.  

I do think it's funny that the same week that Chicago alderman advocate to pass laws that limit street racing / drifting in Chicago they also allow a 'street race' to the city.  

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-controversial-ordinances-up-to-vote-at-chicago-city-council-10k-fines-for-illegal-street-racing-and-speed-camera-tickets/2886197/

Well, we also have a perfectly good nascar track here that we are closing down because "no one likes nascar anymore" (or some other nonsense).

Maybe we should let the street racers use the high speed oval? I think that's another event I might be interested in watching...

Robbie, are you speaking of the oval on the other side of Joliet or the old horse track turned car track in Cicero?

I have been at both with professionally sanctioned events and would much prefer the Joliet track. However, the street course brings lots of new eyes and is a spectacle that just happens to have car racing around. Think Long Beach. Not a great track to watch in person but the people watching is GREAT.

Chicagoland speedway in Joliet hasn't held racing since 2019

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/22 2:53 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

I was talking about Joliet. It's just funny that we are shutting it down only to instead host a street race. I don't disagree with the idea of a street race at all, I love it, and I think it's the kind of creative idea that nascar needs to keep moving forward.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
D1sATLh8j7IRd0i6h2octVl2jVTsIwurpCMiRXxKQAdQB4tRxVo0Zz6Ol8uR8aF1