1 ... 6 7 8
350z247
350z247 Reader
10/1/21 12:59 p.m.

WHO CARES?! Three and half pages on this one article? Really?

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/1/21 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Final comment on this as we have beat it to death; slippery slope is why we live in such a litigious country........it's also why I have a well paying job. LOL

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/1/21 5:01 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

I'm a nica coach. I care. If this dude plowed over a bunch of kids who were in my care at the time, I'd sure be slightly miffed. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
10/1/21 6:42 p.m.

The charge of assault can mean different things per jurisdiction.  Where I am attempted assault is based on clear actions from party 1 towards party 2 to impart fear of or actual physical harm. 

So based on the quotes of the few news stories, this 16 year old maneuvered his truck to optimize his rolling of coal upon one group of bikers then moved forward to intentionally roll coal on the other cyclists. The attempt to harass or create fear of harm could be argued, thus charges of attempted assault. Driver's license suspension would be the minimum outcome. 

But as other have stated we don't want prison to be the only outcome but some type of corrective or restorative judgment. Like he has to drive vehicle with caution lights as a rear guard to the Ironman training group for two-three years. 

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
10/1/21 6:44 p.m.

With suburbia expanding we have more urbanites walking or bicycling down rural roads that have a higher speed limit. 

Ive seen many a time, Karen’s walking the dogs four wide down the middle of the county highway. Speed limit 55mph. No walking near the ditch, no moving to single file when a vehicle approaches, ten of them, pissed when I pass in the opposing lane at the speed limit. 

They may have the right of way, they have the right to be stupid, and if that’s true they also have to accept the consequences. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
10/1/21 6:56 p.m.
Folgers said:

With suburbia expanding we have more urbanites walking or bicycling down rural roads that have a higher speed limit. 

Ive seen many a time, Karen’s walking the dogs four wide down the middle of the county highway. Speed limit 55mph. No walking near the ditch, no moving to single file when a vehicle approaches, ten of them, pissed when I pass in the opposing lane at the speed limit. 

They may have the right of way, they have the right to be stupid, and if that’s true they also have to accept the consequences. 

Maybe slow down and show some rural neighborliness roll the window down and let her know that for her safety she should be off the highway as while you are nice to stop and warn her others may just plow through her dogs and hope the leash snaps before dragging her with them. Be honest and say I would never assume someone would walk on I-75(or your local interstate) which is the equivalent of her situation.

EDIT, one of my scariest moments while driving late to a race, watching locals in their FARM plate truck jumping the train tracks (over the main road) in the one stop light town, ignoring any traffic signals, zooming through empty lots, and between buildings, such that I just stopped until I saw their taillights go up a trail into the tree line. So urbanites and ruralites(?) Just different  bad choices. 

Opti
Opti Dork
10/1/21 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Yah because people dumb enough to walk in the middle of a 55 mph lane will be super receptive of constructive criticism.

They are the same as coal rollers. "This is what I want to do, berkeley everyone else"

People are dumb, on both sides of either argument.

Innocent until proven guilty. If proven guilty of a just law, harsh punishments.

Pepe
Pepe New Reader
10/2/21 6:56 a.m.

You know that you are allowed to driver slower than the speed limit, right? 

Opti
Opti Dork
10/2/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Pepe :

Yes but I won't risk my health on someone else willing to be courteous and reasonable 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
10/16/21 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Steven Cole Smith :

Those who "roll coal" and do other anti social things also hurt themselves. 4 local bars have been closed by the anti social crowd.  
 They come in and refuse to be polite and respectful.  Offending the majority of the bars clients, who stop going there. The loss of their main clients cause the bar to lose money and go out of business. 
   Just before that happens the anti-social crowd tend to leave the bar themselves because " nobody goes there anymore". 
  Start up with another popular bar and repeat that cycle.  

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YQhlbCuKWpIeqNGKvvAK9WX4ahyAkECyjspR93C6VBzcNJsVSygvdpRpwAz9dIR9