1 2
wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/22/13 6:53 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to aussiesmg: I've had the rust grinding thing done a couple times too. I've also watched a piece of hot brass swarf bounce off my cheek, off the inside of my safety glasses and into my eye. They don't stop everything.

that's why, when I'm grinding, I wear safety glasses AND a face shield

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
11/22/13 9:39 a.m.

I prefer the Orange County Choppers "Safety Squint"

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/13 12:15 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to aussiesmg: I've had the rust grinding thing done a couple times too. I've also watched a piece of hot brass swarf bounce off my cheek, off the inside of my safety glasses and into my eye. They don't stop everything.

me too.. I was wearing safety glasses when I got the metal in my eye. Like above, it bounced off my cheek, into the glasses, and then into my eye.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
11/22/13 12:44 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

Had that happen to me years ago. It felt like it was burning all the way through my head. It hurt.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/22/13 12:49 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: I've got two spots inside my glasses that are from hot metal bouncing off my cheek.

That's what side shields are for...?

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/22/13 1:03 p.m.

side shields are great, but it'll still come in from underneath … that's why the face shield … makes it MUCH harder to travel that far

wpcouch
wpcouch New Reader
11/22/13 1:19 p.m.

I worked at a summer camp when I was in high school. The end of each week, we would have a huge water balloon war with all the kids. Each team got to use (at a safe distance, of course) a three person slingshot for their water balloon arsenal.

Well... guess who walked right in front of one of those giant slingshots, just as they were launching a water balloon?

A burst eardrum, a minor concussion, and 20ish% hearing loss in my left ear.

The camp nurse thought I just had water in my ear, so she dumped a bunch of ear drops in there. You know how the aural canal eventually connects to your mouth? Ear drops taste really bad...

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
11/22/13 2:21 p.m.

"you can still see the piece of graphite under my skin."

Me TOO ! ! ! Same damned thing, who IS that kid ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? Seriously, same damned thing ! ! !

A few years ago I was drilling out a rivet in a brass ball, holding in my left hand and everything went sideways. Ball fell, drill kept on going, right through my hand with the rivet collar still attached to the bit. Went in like butter and came out messy, pulled the zone three flexor tendon on out with it. Looked like a weird clam on the end of a weird hook.

I stapled it to the door frame and watched the tendon dry up and shrink into a ball over the course of a month.

Whenever I touch the scar on either side of my hand with a screw driver or drill bit or any metal rod I get an almost electric zinging feeling. Gotta be muscle memory.

I tend to be accident prone . . . always have been.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
11/22/13 2:27 p.m.

What I glean from all this is that cheeks seem to be the real culprit when grinding. I might ask about a cheekectomy.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
11/22/13 7:19 p.m.
Duke wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote: I've got two spots inside my glasses that are from hot metal bouncing off my cheek.
That's what side shields are for...?

Bounced under, not around the side.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/22/13 7:46 p.m.
wbjones wrote:

As a former Health and Safety Manager at an MSHA regulated facility, face-shields are actually required with the use of safety glasses; good on you!
As another little safety tidbit, no more than an 1/8" gap can be present between the grinding wheel and grinding base on a bench grinder. Yes, there are safety officers that measure them during inspections.

-Hamid

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VEMob9Xq0zcszjwk3oMrmgMiNdHOw05BI4c6CM3XY2WTfoakIdCOJcPoegyOkhvN