1 2
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
2/2/23 8:39 a.m.

For as long as I have been going to the Rolex 24 at Daytona to shoot photos, I have lusted after having a photo vest. After having one this year and looking back at my photos, it didn’t really change much.

[Acura: First GTP win, third consecutive win at Daytona]

Now don’t get me wrong, it is amazing to have the …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/2/23 8:40 a.m.

To Chris's credit, all the photos used in this story are ones he took without any sort of special media access.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/23 8:48 a.m.

My favorite part of going to a race is the paddock hands down.  You do have to keep your head on a swivel and be respectful of the people working, but getting to see the cars and equipment up close is so cool.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
2/2/23 8:48 a.m.

I'm a little confused. What is a photo vest? Does photo vest = press access?

j_tso
j_tso Dork
2/2/23 9:05 a.m.

Nighttime is the best time from my experience to shoot in the garages. This is when teams are thrashing to repair a mechanical failure or replace body panels after a crash.

Are their garages lit enough to not use flash?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/2/23 9:07 a.m.

That's why I goto the drag races. Spectator pass gets you everywhere but against the wall and starting line. But if you know a team you can get on their "crew" and get access to both. Of course doesn't apply to the clown show called NHRA. But even then with a large enough lens you'll get 95% of the same shots.

ChrisTropea
2/2/23 9:10 a.m.

In reply to RadBarchetta :

A photo vest gets access to better unobstructed views of the track, you have to work for a media outlet and be approved by the track and or sanctioning body to get one. If you have been to a track and seen photographers with vests with numbers on them that is what I am referring too. Photo attached for reference. 

ChrisTropea
2/2/23 9:12 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

At Daytona at least the garages are very well lit. Here is an example

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/2/23 10:05 a.m.

Have a really big lens helps a lot. Also some tracks are way better than other's for pics. If you have the right gear, you can get some great pics at COTA and Road America. Leguna Seca is pretty good too. Hill Climbs and Rallies are awesome for pics too. I've gotten some great ones at PPIHC and 100 Acres. 

You'll get a different view from the all of the different pictures that are published. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/2/23 11:30 a.m.

As I tell people, work with the gear that you have.

No long lens? No problem. Instead of taking marginal on-track photos, spend your time in the garages. You should get good results there. 

And if you do bring a long lens to Daytona, shoot from the tops of the infield bleachers.

Thanks, Chris, for sharing the handy advice. 

David S. Wallens
2/2/23 11:41 a.m.

Also, no photo vest for the photos in our piece on International GT. All of those images were taken from spectator areas.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/2/23 11:47 a.m.

This also makes me excited to see how some of 35mm film photos turned out–all I currently have for my K1000 is a nifty fifty, perfect for garage photos.

Also my first time shooting at night, so we'll see how that went.

ChrisTropea
2/2/23 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I am very excited to see your 35mm film photos from the Rolex! 

wae
wae PowerDork
2/2/23 12:19 p.m.

I got a ton of pretty good photos from the GA side of the fence a couple years ago with a cheap Nikon D3300  For the garages and other closer-up things I used my prime lens, but for the cars on track I rented a 200-500mm lens which got me some great shots from the infield bleachers.  The best part is that I could have the lens shipped to Daytona Beach, pick it up at a UPS store, and then I dropped it off at a UPS store on the way home.  Didn't have to travel with it and - more importantly - I didn't have to pay to rent the lens for the days I was traveling!  I think it was about $100 for the rental plus a couple bucks to have the UPS store receive it for me.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/23 12:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

As I tell people, work with the gear that you have.

Yeah, but some foreknowledge on what gear to bring is useful!  If the track is hilly (like Laguna Seca) then you can often get a shot over the fence by climbing a hill, but you're going to need a lot of lens to do it.

The portable step stool idea is interesting, any suggestions on which one to get?  It seems like there's a tradeoff between portability and the amount of stability you get while standing on it and trying to compose a photo.

ChrisTropea
2/2/23 12:30 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I have a step stool like this one: Link

It works well but you do have to be careful of what surface you set it up on. Using the fence as something to lean on helps a lot too. 

Nukem
Nukem GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/23 1:33 p.m.

You should rent these little stools out from the GRM rent. Flying scum class on Frontier from CT, I had no room for such things, or even a proper long lens really. I Still managed to get some cool shots though.

Are there any local camera rental places in Daytona?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/2/23 1:37 p.m.

Commenting to make sure I find this thread later.

Sensor/film sensitivity equivalent to ISO 3200 to 6400 should in most cases be sufficient for these sorts of environments, I would think, especially when shooting with glass with a max aperture of f2.0 or faster.  

I really want to work on this sort of thing in 2023 and need to find local events to shoot if possible.

David S. Wallens
2/2/23 2:20 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

For local events–meaning Daytona for us but without the crowds–I'll bring my aluminum folding work platform since I already own it. It's kinda big, but if the crowds are thin, I can just park near the fence. (Also, if you have an SUV, you can kinda shoot from an open door, too.)

David S. Wallens
2/2/23 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Nukem :

I don't know of anyone locally renting big glass. We have a used camera shop but not really a pro-level shop. Colonial Hobby and Photo in Orlando is probably our closest full-service camera shop. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
2/2/23 2:26 p.m.

Don’t underestimate the view from the grandstands. From that perspective, you can see almost anywhere on the track, and at night you can capture some stunning views. If you, like me, are afraid of heights, then stick to the lower levels as the upper seats are terrifying.

If you do manage to temporarily push aside the sensible voice in your head screaming at you to not climb any higher, the view from the very top of the grandstands is definitely worth a look. For reference, here's a quick panorama I captured on my iPhone during our Grassroots Motorsports Experience Midnight Tour:

wae
wae PowerDork
2/2/23 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Nukem :

I used borrowlenses.com and had them ship it to a UPS store in Daytona Beach.  I just picked it up there when I arrived and dropped it off on my way out of town.

David S. Wallens
2/2/23 4:58 p.m.

Very excited to see Colin's film shots, too. I'm doing a (non-car) shoot this weekend–two, actually–and should bring my A-1. 

Nukem
2/2/23 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

I can see myself from here.

Nukem
2/2/23 7:24 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Thanks! Seems like a solid option. That Orlando shop might be another (I fly into Orlando, because the flights are cheap).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yUtOmy3hfNSMHhyJkTrlM0slhvjNItr4ZQR1iqKNOmM17mWcCQN71l6xtmGoifax