1 ... 7 8 9 10
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/17 9:55 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

I m currently building a Dio Tipo on a tube frame using Alfa Romeo Spider running gear.

To put the Dio body on a Miata it would need to be widened about six inches, possible but a lot of work.

Or narrow the Miata suspension, but that might also kill the simplicity of the build.

Once this build is done I intend to investigate putting a Devin SS body on the Miata running gear.

New bodies area available and the track is workable since it's actually a little wider than the Miata.

Most likely issue is getting the engine to fit under the bonnet, but bubbles and scoops are common on Devins.

Link to devin SS bodies?

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 10:11 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I was about to say that is a lowwwww hood.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 10:14 a.m.

That being said, I have been looking at NA/NB prices and the NC and a non-rust bucket (in the DC area) NA/NB are getting within a couple grand of each other and in some cases I have seen clean NA/NB listed more expensive than the NC.  

I think building something that would work with the NC chassis may be something.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/9/17 11:28 a.m.

Back from the dead again! Every time I see this thread I'm forced to go look up my favorite kit for the Miata. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
11/9/17 12:24 p.m.

The NC is a shortened RX8 chassis so pretty different than the NA/NB

Robbie
11/9/17 12:32 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

Back from the dead again! Every time I see this thread I'm forced to go look up my favorite kit for the Miata. 

How do you post that without a LINK!

Mr. Lee
11/9/17 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

using firefox or chrome, right click the picture, and select copy image address. In the post box, right next to the " button is a postcard looking thing. Click it. Pop up box asks for a url. Paste, and done. 

EDIT... Realized you probably wanted a link to the site. oops. devil

Tribute automotive Figure 2500 ish for a full kit plus shiping from the UK. I have a perfect donor at mom and dad's place as my 92 got backed into right at the door, so the quarter panel is jacked up. This kit removes them.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
11/9/17 1:58 p.m.
4cylndrfury said:

A few more body double ideas...

• Datsun 510

• Honda S coupe

• Classic Skyline

just a few ideas

The skyline idea would work. None of us will ever own one. But secretly lust for it like Morty lusts for Jessica. Ah jeez...

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 2:24 p.m.

Why hello there.....

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 2:30 p.m.

This one is not as sexy from this angle

Mr. Lee
11/9/17 2:58 p.m.

In reply to FlightService :

Give it time... It grows on you. But I do agree, I like looking at the front much more than the back. cheeky

Mr. Lee
11/9/17 3:05 p.m.
Trackmouse said:
4cylndrfury said:

A few more body double ideas...

• Datsun 510

• Honda S coupe

• Classic Skyline

just a few ideas

The skyline idea would work. None of us will ever own one. But secretly lust for it like Morty lusts for Jessica. Ah jeez...

Miata wheelbase is wrong for the Skyline. And there's no secret here, if I could get my hands on an early skyline it would never leave the stable.  Heck it's bad enough I'm casually searching CL throughout the great white north for an R32 that's legal to bring stateside. (which as they hit that magic age, suddenly triple in value because I'm not the only one doing so. )

But that Honda! I can really dig that, almost looks like they cut the roof off a MB GT and stuck it on something Miataish. 

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/17 4:23 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

But that Honda! I can really dig that, almost looks like they cut the roof off a MB GT and stuck it on something Miataish. 

Yep, but on a car that looks like it'd fit into the trunk of a Miata...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
11/9/17 7:12 p.m.

Just a fiberglass nose and tail for the Miata that look like an Opel GT and you would sell them.

Mr. Lee
11/9/17 10:42 p.m.
BoxheadCougarTim said:
Mr. Lee said:

Yep, but on a car that looks like it'd fit into the trunk of a Miata...

I missed the fence and car next to it. That thing is TINY! Almost Berkeley sized tiny.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/10/17 12:05 a.m.

Iconic 4-cylinder that there aren't many of?

The Elan would probably get you a lawsuit, so would the Cortina.

Marcos? AFAIK they're dead and buried now.

Healey 100-4?

A/C Ace?

Forget the obscure Japanese stuff, only weirdos like us really want them and Honda and Datsun still exist and would probably go after you.

Anything grafted on to the existing body will just look like a Miata with some junk hung off of it.

The problem with kit cars seems to be that for every one that looks good, there are 100 that look awful.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/17 8:20 a.m.
Mr. Lee said:

Wow and it's rather affordable. I might have to ponder this!

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
11/10/17 10:22 a.m.
FlightService said:

This one is not as sexy from this angle

For kits that are a "replica" when you know what the original looks like, when the proportions are that far off it just looks funny.

Taken on it's own, it's interesting, but I think it needs 18's or something - it just looks sort of chubby.   Kudo's for trying it, I guess, but I'd try to proportion the kit better even if it looked less like a real 250.  

Thus the problem, I guess - if it doesn't look enough like a 250, why would anybody buy it?

The Catfish is kind of cool, but is too modernish looking - if I were to do a Miata kit, I'd like it to look more like the classic 50's/early 60's sports cars (thus my previous post on this thread of a Ginetta - but a Miata is even too far off for that).

I've been intrigued by those 50'/60's sports cars forever - I probably should say Italian and British sports cars, like the Ferraris and Maseratis and such, or the Astons and Jags.

Robbie
11/10/17 10:42 a.m.

I actually like the 250sw and the a352 from tribute much better. The 250sw actually improves the look of the z3, which is something few kit cars can claim!

minihaha
minihaha New Reader
11/12/17 3:31 p.m.

I saw an interesting car based on a Miata yesterday at Carlisle show

I'm not able to post pics from my phone but would like to email some to someone who would post here.

Pat Clark 

minihaha@tampabay.rr.com.

If someone would like to help let me know...

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
11/12/17 6:57 p.m.

For minihaha

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
11/12/17 6:58 p.m.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
11/12/17 6:58 p.m.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork