1 2
infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
11/25/19 12:16 p.m.

I think with different wheels it would look pretty good.  This would probably be a good vehicle for my wife, who really would like a smaller SUV - enough room to throw a stroller in the back and some groceries is one of her primary requirements, and she likes small SUVs.  We also both want an electric car and this is cheaper than a Tesla.  From some angles it looks goofy, from some it looks pretty good.  I'm kinda split on it.  I just don't like them using the name Mustang, just call it the Mach-E.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/19 12:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

IIRC the Lotus Elan went with power windows because they were lighter :P 

Weren't the power windows lighter than the manuals on the NA miata too? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/19 12:43 p.m.
RevRico said:
Keith Tanner said:

IIRC the Lotus Elan went with power windows because they were lighter :P 

Weren't the power windows lighter than the manuals on the NA miata too? 

Power is 1 lb heavier per door. I went with manual windows on the Targa Miata for that reason when I first built it, then switched to power windows because door bars and manual windows are a pain in the patootie.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/19 1:45 p.m.

If this car is a hit, then it's going to widen the divide of charging types.

Ford is using VW's Electrify America as their network as is Porsche, which will help build out that network. I'm assuming these cars will run CCS chargers, which is the standard in Europe. The stations also have CHAdeMO outlets, but that's generally for backwards compatibility from what I can tell. The Leaf uses that.

So here's the sticky part. The Model 3 is the best selling EV in the US, and it can't charge from CCS in the US (at the moment). It can use CHAdeMO, but only with a $450 adapter and the charge rate is limited to about 1/3 of what you can get from a Supercharger or a CCS charger. So until Tesla sorts that out, the Model 3 can't really use the Electrify America network. And of course, nothing but Teslas can use the Supercharger network.

Sigh. The irony of a company that's associated with Edison fighting it out with a company called Tesla over a fundamental standard.

Right now, there are about as many Supercharger outlets in the US (6340) as there are CHAdeMO and CCS outlets combined (6535). The Superchargers are more concentrated, with an average of about 9.3 outlets per station while CCS averages about 2 outlets/station and CHAdeMO averages 1.4 (I wonder how many of those are Nissan dealerships with a single charger?). These numbers are from late August.

This is really annoying. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/25/19 2:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If this car is a hit, then it's going to widen the divide of charging types.

Ford is using VW's Electrify America as their network as is Porsche, which will help build out that network. I'm assuming these cars will run CCS chargers, which is the standard in Europe. The stations also have CHAdeMO outlets, but that's generally for backwards compatibility from what I can tell. The Leaf uses that.

So here's the sticky part. The Model 3 is the best selling EV in the US, and it can't charge from CCS in the US (at the moment). It can use CHAdeMO, but only with a $450 adapter and the charge rate is limited to about 1/3 of what you can get from a Supercharger or a CCS charger. So until Tesla sorts that out, the Model 3 can't really use the Electrify America network. And of course, nothing but Teslas can use the Supercharger network.

Sigh. The irony of a company that's associated with Edison fighting it out with a company called Tesla over a fundamental standard.

Right now, there are about as many Supercharger outlets in the US (6340) as there are CHAdeMO and CCS outlets combined (6535). The Superchargers are more concentrated, with an average of about 9.3 outlets per station while CCS averages about 2 outlets/station and CHAdeMO averages 1.4 (I wonder how many of those are Nissan dealerships with a single charger?). These numbers are from late August.

This is really annoying. 

You would think that in 10 years we will have a standard, that is the one, or else stations will have every option like they do now with gasoline grades, e85, and diesel. 

As to whether or not that happens....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/25/19 2:59 p.m.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/25/19 3:30 p.m.
tuna55 said:

https://xkcd.com/927/

So true...

Reminds me of the various USB connectors... "Universal" Serial Bus ...of course, they meant the communication protocol, but still... 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/25/19 4:02 p.m.

The coaxial transmission has been done on the Bolt. It makes for short halfshafts which will be bad if Ford wants to use it on something with a lot of suspension travel. It also gets in the way of upper suspension arms, but it looks like ford went with a macstrut setup instead of multi link. Tesla puts a controller there which keeps it nice and low instead of stacking it on top.  Nissan doesn't put anything there and still stacks the controller on top, but they just put the whole setup where a 4 cylinder would fit anyway so vertical space isn't an issue. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
11/25/19 5:38 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

It also gets in the way of upper suspension arms, but it looks like ford went with a macstrut setup instead of multi link.

That also leaves the option of pulling a Jaguar and using the half shafts as the upper arms. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VzVO25xApHXTZMRpucmNEZN9v1D5D0aLWdlPkIBbCPDZGv8mSHhiviWyhicGcNMZ