1 2 3
singlemalt76
singlemalt76 New Reader
6/9/10 8:49 p.m.

Ah crap, I was just hoping for a simple no way, can't be done, impossible type response. That's the problem with a good bs artist, there is always a nugget of truth involved. I think I need to get a closer look at this car. Perhaps I'll have some more info soon.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
11/3/12 10:47 a.m.

Back from the dead thread.

I was talking to a drag racer today he said his car is at 2200 lbs, searched around and found this thread via Google.

My notch weighed around 2750 at the challenge this year and my goal is to get it on a diet.

I know I can lose some weight but no way am I getting near 2200lbs, it appears he may be full of ..it

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/3/12 11:01 a.m.

Maybe with no driver and an all aluminum NA 4 cyl backed by a T5 with a high dollar alum pressure plate and flywheel. Don't forget to change every fastener to Ti along with the Ti spool, lightened ring gear, and gun drilled axles in an 8.8. Then the drag brakes, CM K-member, NO interior, tube steering column, and a bunch of other things I care to not divulge at this time for pending rules infringement charges, aka- a teardown , from a previous racing organization.

With all that, you MIGHT hit 2200# dry without driver. Add in a nominal 200# driver, that gets you to 2450-ish pounds wet.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/12 11:11 a.m.

Bravenrace said his is 2700lbs stock, I thought they were in the low 3000s.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/3/12 11:19 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

My 89 GT started at 3200-ish w/o driver.... Eventually got it down to under 2900# WITH driver and all the GT panels still in place.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/3/12 11:21 a.m.

Sounds legit. The fox body is often underestimated in many areas besides weight, but a light weight body is how some guys get the SVOs under 10 seconds.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
11/3/12 11:24 a.m.

Quoted car weight is the biggest pile of steaming... on the Interweb. It's all human nature, just like those 300 lb V8s. or that great big fish that your uncle almost caught - I swear, it was That big...

Without a photo of it on scales and a shot of the reading, it's all BS.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
11/3/12 12:13 p.m.

My Challenge Fox hatchback was in the low 2,500s in drag trim. It's very possible for a gutted notch to be in the 2,400s. There's not a lot to these cars. They were engineered in 1979, remember.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/12 12:41 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: There's not a lot to these cars.

Ford saved a lot of money, what with all of the sheetmetal they didn't put in.

The tubs are just about as basic as you can get without the car folding in on itself when you open a door. This, of course, leads to all of the downsides of having a Fox-body, like suspension members ripping off and the floorpans splitting away from the rockers when you use 'em hard, but like the man says, if they were built better then they wouldn't have been so affordable and they wouldn't have made eleventy zillion of them.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/3/12 1:05 p.m.

"Drag trim" sounds like something you get from a tranny in Vegas.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/3/12 1:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: "Drag trim" sounds like something you get from a tranny in Vegas.

"Man, i could really go for some drag trim."

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
11/3/12 2:13 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Bravenrace said his is 2700lbs stock, I thought they were in the low 3000s.

I think I said mine was just under 2800 lbs, but in any case mine's a '65, an entirely different car.

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
11/3/12 2:16 p.m.

Not going to call outright BS but as a yardstick when I hauled this gutted Fox body carcass to the scrapyard it weighed in at 1,540 pounds:

No engine, transmission or rearend. No interior, wiring harness, dash, front or rear suspension, fuel tank or radiator. Hood, rear hatch, door glass and both front fenders gone.

You do the math...

Jeff

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
11/3/12 8:54 p.m.

That's gotta be at least 1k lbs. of tacked on bodywork...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/12 10:59 p.m.

In reply to JKleiner:

Huge difference between a GT hatchback and an LX notchback!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/4/12 12:02 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to JKleiner: *Huge* difference between a GT hatchback and an LX notchback!!!

Only about 125#. Based on what I did take off mine that a LX would not have in the first place. Most of it is the fog lights and the 8" wide, 1/8" thick STEEL bar behind the fascia connecting the fog light brackets together.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/4/12 12:25 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Maybe with no driver and an all aluminum NA 4 cyl backed by a T5 with a high dollar alum pressure plate and flywheel. Don't forget to change every fastener to Ti along with the Ti spool, lightened ring gear, and gun drilled axles in an 8.8. Then the drag brakes, CM K-member, NO interior, tube steering column, and a bunch of other things I care to not divulge at this time for pending rules infringement charges, aka- a teardown , from a previous racing organization. With all that, you MIGHT hit 2200# dry without driver. Add in a nominal 200# driver, that gets you to 2450-ish pounds wet.

a 7.5 rear end is at least 50 pounds lighter than an 8.8.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/12 8:35 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to JKleiner: *Huge* difference between a GT hatchback and an LX notchback!!!
Only about 125#. Based on what I did take off mine that a LX would not have in the first place. Most of it is the fog lights and the 8" wide, 1/8" thick STEEL bar behind the fascia connecting the fog light brackets together.

I've heard a 200# difference between the notch and hatch alone.

Knurled
11/4/12 9:24 a.m.

I knew someone who had an honest-to-goodness 10-second GT convertible about 15 years ago.

Because he was really doing it the hard way, it was a naturally aspirated 306. No stroke, no poke, no juice, no squeeze. Pro-shifted 5-speed, to boot. And this being the late 90s, there wasn't quite the aftermarket that exists today for free-breathing heads. Many many hours of portwork involved.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/4/12 10:37 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I've heard a 200# difference between the notch and hatch alone.

Then compare apples to apples. If you want to compare the bare bones LX coupe with the manual windows, no AC, thin seats, cheap radio, manual mirrors to the exact opposite hatchback GT with power everything and AC, then 200# is about right. But as soon as you bloat up the LX to match the GT, the difference is the additional body hardware and a couple additional pounds between the hatch and coupe, but not some stupid 50# plus amount.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/4/12 11:01 a.m.

For what it's worth, Aussie's car is a notch and it's gutted.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
11/4/12 12:31 p.m.

Yepper, I can still remove weight from the bumpers, some of the windows, the wiring, Tubular K member swap and some other small stuff, but will add around 150 for a cage, I have no idea how they get to 2400 never mind 2200.

My interior is gutted, doors stripped down to skins, door windows removed, floor deadener removed, PS removed, exhaust shortened.

My interior

Photobucket

underhood

Photobucket

yet still at 2750lb with fuel at the Challenge

Knurled
11/4/12 12:42 p.m.

Is that a 351W? The block alone is roughly 40lb heavier than a 5.0 block, before you figure into the heavier crank and such.

Most super-light Foxes I've seen were '79-83 models.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/4/12 12:45 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Most super-light Foxes I've seen were '79-83 models.

I've witnessed 2800# no driver V8 Fairmont wagons with full interiors.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/4/12 12:49 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

If you haven't read this thread, all 62 pages of it, I don't know what to tell you...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307249&highlight=mustang+weight+removal

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U8PO824q8nIZRHmb3h9hrePJJEI1853yRAIAstM6TzMad4gO1mrR5YKVHCDcm25B