1 2 3 4
Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/16/18 12:46 p.m.

What's ironic about marque stalwarts bashing a particular model, is that these days manfacturers all use platform engineering. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/16/18 2:14 p.m.

FWIW, 911s were (are) made in Stuttgart. 944s were made in Ingolstadt.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
6/17/18 10:19 a.m.

Hence the disparaging comments about the thing being an Audi

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/17/18 4:51 p.m.
markwemple said:

FWIW, 911s were (are) made in Stuttgart. 944s were made in Ingolstadt.

And a lot of BMWs are made in South Carolina......I know apples and oranges to some degree....but it's not like the German factory workers in Stuttgart have some kind of magical powers that those in Inglostadt don't, lol. If the 944 were being built in Zimbabwe or India or something, maybe that would matter, but still....

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/18 5:03 p.m.

I can't believe this discussion is happening on GRM. Rennlist, maybe, but GRM?

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/17/18 5:06 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

At that time, Audis were built in Ingolstadt.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
6/17/18 5:45 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I can't believe this discussion is happening on GRM. Rennlist, maybe, but GRM?

This is not much like Rennlist here at all.  Rennlist has sort of more than their share of the folks we are talking about here though

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/17/18 7:38 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to irish44j :

At that time, Audis were built in Ingolstadt.

I'm aware of that. My point was only that the guys building Porsches at the Audi factory were likely just as skilled as those at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart. This is Germany, it's not like the 944 was assembled by a bunch of drunk yahoos from British Leyland lol.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/17/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

No. The Stuttgart factory was still building by hand. Ingolstadt was a modern facility. The 911 in the 80s was still competing with Rolls Royce for best built car and regularly winning. The 80s 911 is old school but very well built. The weird part is that 944 turbos cost more to maske than a 911.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/17/18 8:10 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to irish44j :

No. The Stuttgart factory was still building by hand. Ingolstadt was a modern facility. The 911 in the 80s was still competing with Rolls Royce for best built car and regularly winning. The 80s 911 is old school but very well built. The weird part is that 944 turbos cost more to maske than a 911.

I'm certainly not trying to say that the 944 build quality (design quality?) was anywhere near the 911. I own a 924, I know for a fact that the build quality is pretty mediocre! But  let's assume Porsche back then decided to build the 944 in Stuttgart. They couldn't have done it in the contemporary 911 factory, so it's fair to assume the company would have set up a facility there capable of producing the larger numbers of the 924/944 (i.e. a modern facility in Stuttgart). In which case the cars would probably be built exactly the same manner that they were in Ingolstadt. My point was only that the physical location of build isn't what does or doesn't make it a Porsche, and that the 924/944 isn't "An Audi because it was built in an Audi factory." 

It's splitting hairs and I'm arguing in circles, but what else is there to do on a Sunday night than argue on the internet.

On a related note, I was in the 924S this morning and got a thumbs-up by an older gentleman and his wife cruising in a 911SC Targa. Usually I don't even get a look-over from 911 types :)

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/17/18 8:14 p.m.

Probably someone who'd owned it for a long time. Newer Porsche owners, no matter the model don't seem to be like the guys who bought them 20 years ago. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R3cxovw7DvTs9hCjsdmsCaBYLJk3NvbGU2breOnsEFrihrGuu4BWv4seTKfk50L0