1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 9:12 a.m.

That was just the first car that popped up when I went to Specmiata.com. Not exactly the result of an extensive search, but proof of existence of 1.6 Spec cars in that price range. There's a 1.6 SM littering the FM shop that needs to go away as well. We have nothing to do with it other than we did a favor for the owner by storing it, and it has overstayed its welcome.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/5/16 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Colorado is closer to DC than California and I have been wanting to take my kids to see the Rockies....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 10:10 a.m.

If you're serious, I can put you in contact with the owner. Drop me a line at keith@flyinmiata.com.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/5/16 10:14 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If you're serious, I can put you in contact with the owner. Drop me a line at keith@flyinmiata.com.

too soon, no bonus yet...I will remember this conversation. Besides it would give me an excuse to tour the shop.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/6/16 3:16 p.m.

NASA rules for Spec Miata..

8.1.2. Hardtop may be used, and if used, must be securely bolted in place. Aftermarket hard tops are allowed provided they meet the exact original equipment specifications for both design and weight

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/6/16 3:18 p.m.

I 'think' there is a significant aero disadvantage to not having one.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/6/16 3:21 p.m.

The hard tops also stiffen the car slightly if the mounts are tensioned correctly, AFAIK.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/6/16 4:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I 'think' there is a significant aero disadvantage to not having one.

Yeah, you are correct.

rslifkin wrote: The hard tops also stiffen the car slightly if the mounts are tensioned correctly, AFAIK.

Yes, you are also correct.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/16 5:47 p.m.

With a cage, I would expect the aero advantage to be even greater and the stiffness increase to be basically nil.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/16 8:22 p.m.

The "stiffness" improvement from a hard top is more of an NVH thing than performance. The aero difference is huge.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
4/6/16 8:33 p.m.

With no top, you would be at a major disadvantage. I've run mine once at a track day without the top and it was noticeably slower. They have been around $1k for as long as I can remember, and the only way to get one cheaper is if its attached to a really cheap donor car.

I don't race mine anymore, but keep it up to date with annuals (NASA). I may be ready to move on in the fall, so keep me in mind when you're shopping.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/7/16 8:10 a.m.

I am also in the DC area and havent seen a hardship finding a hardtop. I got mine for $750 a few years ago, its just the going rate. Most of my friends with miatas have also found them for ~$1000 or less. (one word of warning is a friend who bought one only to have it stolen)

You are (almost, like 90% of the time) better off buying someone elses already built car and fixing what you dont like then building your own. $6-8k is CHEAP for a car with a legal cage and logbook.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/7/16 8:28 a.m.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5526405535.html

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/7/16 8:32 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5526405535.html

Wow! That is a nice car.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/7/16 8:32 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I am also in the DC area and havent seen a hardship finding a hardtop. I got mine for $750 a few years ago, its just the going rate. Most of my friends with miatas have also found them for ~$1000 or less. (one word of warning is a friend who bought one only to have it stolen) You are (almost, like 90% of the time) better off buying someone elses already built car and fixing what you dont like then building your own. $6-8k is CHEAP for a car with a legal cage and logbook.

Yeah apparently my craigslist skill need improving.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/7/16 8:47 a.m.
Happy Carmore wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5526405535.html
Wow! That is a nice car.

There's a "V2 Motorsports" logo on the hardtop. If it was built by Ralph Provitz it will be done right. I suspect that the car is not a full Spec Miata build though. The intake and exhaust look stock. It may be a well built track day car that needs a few upgrades to be competitive in SM.

johndej
johndej Reader
4/7/16 8:51 a.m.

this one has been listed on and off for like a year now http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5526167043.html

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
VvFf3w2pd7K007S6FJaDUhdRP7AkFYUu9YOLWCy7MPP1SY71uoKgwAyd62Qacqjd