Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/23/22 6:58 p.m.

Not sure exactly what triggered this memory...  A decade and a bit ago, at races in Alberta, Uve Terner was a retired racer, excellent volunteer, good steward, etc.  We would always have a lunch break on a race day, bring all the marshalls in, standard procedure.  

The 10 minute call back from lunch was Uve in his kilt, walking one end to the other of the paddock, playing his bagpipes.

laugh

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 7:13 p.m.

Not necessarily race track per se, but if you were at a WOR rallycross, usually someone would run up to you at the starting line because they just wanted to let you know good luck, we're all counting on you.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/22 7:27 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Not sure exactly what triggered this memory...  A decade and a bit ago, at races in Alberta, Uve Terner was a retired racer, excellent volunteer, good steward, etc.  We would always have a lunch break on a race day, bring all the marshalls in, standard procedure.  

The 10 minute call back from lunch was Uve in his kilt, walking one end to the other of the paddock, playing his bagpipes.

laugh

Thanks for sharing this. It makes me happy. 

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
7/23/22 11:26 p.m.

We all drink lots of beer and have a huge bonfire!!! Oh wait thats not really a track tradition, just my friends and I!! 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/24/22 9:56 a.m.

Not a car race but a foot race?

Ever watch the movie about the Barkley Marathon?

The race begins when the promoter lights his cigarette.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/24/22 10:30 a.m.

My team would always find a way to pee on the racetrack the night before a race.  Even the ladies joined in a few times.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/22 12:14 p.m.

When it was still NHIS, in the mornings, a track employee would get on the PA and do a rambling discussion of the call of the Lark or some such bird to wake everyone (I think).

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/24/22 12:57 p.m.

My problem is that I don't have a "my track", as they're all hours away.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/24/22 3:22 p.m.

Racing Lemons at CMP Fall one team would do smoked pork butts and everybody is welcome to bring sides and money. Two brothers both brew and would each bring a keg of homebrew. Any money is donated to the weekend's charity. Really nice on Saturday after racing to sit down and chow with everybody.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BfwJNPLsHFH333Vxy3FiVcJrzkGOEa9ib8G1buzTbDchEL1Net24RPERckT8GWuJ