1 2 3 4 5 6 7
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/25/22 5:36 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:
BoxheadTim said:
Andy Neuman said:

Wait for the 23 type r because it looks a little more tame? 

Has that actually been officially revealed yet? It does appear to be Honda's worst kept secret, but I hadn't noticed it being officially announced yet.

It's official: https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/2023-civic-type-r

Yeah, but no actual info. There is a video of the car testing at one of the Japanese tracks I believe from a few weeks ago. 

Don Fip
Don Fip GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/25/22 5:50 p.m.

I have a black CTR and it definitely blends in with traffic around here.  Feels like everyone  in a regular 10th gen Civic hatch wants to look like a Type R, so wings, red H badges, wheels, etc. are fairly common.  I shopped the same usual suspects (STI, Golf R) and just felt the CTR was more “special” as a complete package.  It’s not my daily, but every time I do drive it I get compliments especially younger folks (I’m just shy of 40).  Cashiers, track day bros, my kids classmates, all seem to appreciate it for what is it.  Can’t really confirm this, but I feel like the current CTR will be one of those cars the next generation of gear heads aspires for.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/25/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Right, no production version shown yet or hard specs, but Honda seems to want to make sure everyone knows that it is real and supposedly coming out this year.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/22 8:38 p.m.

Bouncing back four pages, because that is just how I roll, I happen to own a last 2 years of production Volvo R car, although S60R not V70R.  I like wagons but the V70R does not fit in my garage, and at the time I bought in, a V70R was worth 2-3 times as much.  Also, I am kinda soured on the interior noise levels and poor audio staging of a wagon (or hatchback) vs. a sedan with a proper trunk. Must be a symptom of getting old smiley

I would absolutely not classify as being in the same performance envelope as a CTR.  The exterior dimensions (of an S60R) and power output are almost identical, but the weight difference is enormous.  It is a luxury car that can also coincidentally hustle (in any weather conditions) and there are certain compromises made.

The angry Wookiee exhaust note and extremely talkative KKK turbo are, to be fair, a lot more giggleworthy than the CTR's "are you sure I am not in a CRV?" aural experience. 90,000 miles of ownership later it still brings a big smile.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 1:16 a.m.

Acura TL type R?  

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 8:21 a.m.

It was the first car mentioned, but now that I am an owner, I feel like I can weigh in here. If you listen to interviews with Albert Bierman, his goal with the EN was exactly what you are looking for: very capable and very fun to drive, but civilized and comfortable on the street as well. With the DCT it's 0-60 time is the same as the CTR, so its pretty quick. On a track, I feel confident that the CTR will be a few ticks ahead, it is a track weapon after all and an amazing chassis. But for daily use, I feel like the EN can be toned down and enjoyed more than the CTR. Plus, you can get a new EN for less than a used CTR right now.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/22 11:57 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

How was your dealer experience buying it? I've seen lots of complaints about how "well" Hyundai dealers seem to treat their customers.

Re the price - that is a good point. My main issue with the prices on used CTRs are that they're venturing pretty close to Porsche 997 with PDK prices.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/26/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Oh NOW you listen to our suggestion cheeky

BoxheadTim
3/26/22 12:02 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I have to listen to them first before I ignore them and buy something completely different, don't I?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/22 4:05 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I have to listen to them first before I ignore them and buy something completely different, don't I?

As far as I know you still don't have to do what anyone says.  You can still do what you like.  I know lots of people want to change this, but for now enjoy yourself.  

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/26/22 4:40 p.m.

Aztek. 
wait, you said performance, not looks?  A car can't perform well enough to make up for how the CTR looks. 

BoxheadTim
3/26/22 5:47 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to bobzilla :

As far as I know you still don't have to do what anyone says.  You can still do what you like.  I know lots of people want to change this, but for now enjoy yourself.  

I guess I forgot to add a smiley to the post you quoted. It certainly wasn't intended to read as serious as it seems to have come across.

3/26/22 6:14 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I got that but some won't.  At the end of the day though, you are the one that has to drive and it is your coin.  There is, as usual, lots of great input here, but it's still your choice.  

3/26/22 6:14 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

The CTR does though.....  

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
3/26/22 7:01 p.m.

'round these parts there's scummy used car dealer offshoot of a GM dealer currently offering a white full option CTR with 20,000mi and plenty of SicSpeed stick on ebay goodies for $42,995. A private seller offering an all black everything manual F80 M3 63,000mi for $43,500.  

It's a silly comparison I suppose but still... F80 m3

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/27/22 9:43 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Nope. That car is an abomination and should embarrass the designers. GM is pretty good for now knowing when to stop designing, but these designers too them. Wow. "Can we fnd a few inched of body panel that doesn't have a crease of a fake air inlet/outlet? Yes?  Then put moar creases and JC Witney junk"

3/27/22 11:40 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

A lot of the stuff you are disliking is functional.  
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15086761/against-the-wind-all-the-2017-honda-civic-type-rs-aero-bits-explained/

I can see how it's a bit much as a daily driver, but it's an amazing FWD car.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/22 2:04 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

A lot of the stuff you are disliking is functional.  
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15086761/against-the-wind-all-the-2017-honda-civic-type-rs-aero-bits-explained/

I can see how it's a bit much as a daily driver, but it's an amazing FWD car.  

Technically functional, but a majority of CTRs that I see have a Thule carrier permanently mounted on a roof rack, which sort of negates it.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/27/22 5:54 p.m.

This was just Honda PR fluff and they were just parroting press release stuff. The car has almost an acre of blank, black, honeycombed plastic that is totally closed, except to let the horn honk out LOL. 

There are many cars out there that get downforce and cooling handled without the F&F JC Witney treatment. 
I was surprised to learn that the car has 245-series tires. 

It's impressive performance for sure. But I just couldn't be seen driving that. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/27/22 7:45 p.m.
DrBoost said:

The car has almost an acre of blank, black, honeycombed plastic that is totally closed, except to let the horn honk out LOL.

3/27/22 11:31 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Are you worried about being seen by others?  Really?  I'm too old for that. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/27/22 11:47 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I rented one for 24 hours and once you're behind the wheel you forget all about how it looks.   

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/28/22 6:38 a.m.

Wow, that shelby grill is terrible LOL. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/28/22 6:41 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Are you worried about being seen by others?  Really?  I'm too old for that. 

When you get dressed in the morning do you put on clothes that match and look nice on you?  
why? For you, or for others?

me too. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/28/22 7:05 a.m.

Its hard to beat Honda build quality. I have been driving Hondas as my daily drivers for nearly 20 years and have had very few problems.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bN6JqWFOyTPPLawDsvvZtIwwh2eZlTDOnCwpqz62NcCjk8IvxtURBMQwn1X8D4cj