1 ... 5 6 7
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/22 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I liked commuting in my ND LE, even into the SF Bay Area. And yes, they're spectacular on fuel.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/22 1:48 p.m.

Video review of the 2022 Civic Si is now up:

BoxheadTim
5/28/22 11:02 p.m.

I promised a teaser pic.

GRM, meet Creamsicle, the most interesting way to drive something beige[1] this side of a Toyota Camry:

OK, it's not beige, it's cream white. Very rare factory colour, and interesting too boot. Not to mention it works very, very well with the "vintage 911 vibe" that the current owner (a serial 911 owner over multiple decades) was going for.

BoxheadTim
6/17/22 5:09 p.m.

Oh for crying out loud, it wouldn't be me if it wasn't for a last minute spanner in the works.

I ended up getting a loan for part of the purchase price, and the way the credit union that I've borrowed money for cars before made out the check has had the seller's bank refuse to accept/deposit the check they sent out.

Fortunately the seller is really chill and wise to finance shenanigans (used to run a dealership or two in the past, apparently) so he got his bank manager and the credit union on the blower to sort this stuff out. Seems like the person at the CU went something like "hmm, that's an odd way we made out the check" and they're reissuing it in a manner that actually allows the seller to deposit it. But funnily enough I'm now on the hook for paying for the expedited delivery of said check so we actually stand half a chance of getting the payment to the seller in time for me to pick up the car.

I'm hoping this works out because I'm not really planning to test the seller's patience any further - he already held the car for me just to fly out and check it over, and was willing to wait another month for me to come and pick it up. Not to mention that I have flights and hotels booked already, too. Not to mention that the car is booked into the Porsche dealer for some pre-trip preventative maintenance as well.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I was waiting on a check from my bank too that arrived yesterday.  I'm getting my new more hardcore rally car next weekend.  We'll see how things go.  I have all the paperwork with the check so the seller should be happy.  We can also call the bank and verify it when I pick up the car.  Buying cars is always fun and each transaction is different.  Your new 997 with the Fuchs replicas looks great.  Enjoy and keep us posted!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/22 10:00 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Love the color! 

Are the black rockguards factory? Its the only thing I would change.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/19/22 10:36 p.m.

Man, that thing looks great in that color and with the black wheels. Forgive me, but is that a 997.1 or .2?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/20/22 9:53 a.m.

The color looks terrific. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/22 10:14 a.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Love the color! 

Are the black rockguards factory? Its the only thing I would change.

Agreed. Love the color. L.O.V.E. those wheels! Are they legit Fuchs? Regardless, they look stunning!

But I would immediately switch the black rock guards for clear. I replaced them on my 993 (crappy clears for new clears) and the difference was dramatic. 

BoxheadTim
6/20/22 10:37 a.m.

The wheels are OEM Porsche Sport Classic wheels. You don't see those very often on a 997, but they go very well with the "retro Porsche" vibe on this car. The current owner put the on the car, so that's not how it originally came from Porsche.

The rock guards - I'm in kinda two minds about them. They were originally clear, but I think the black helps break up the big slab of Camry beige, err, Cream White. I will have to get PPF on the car anyway, so I may ask the local wrap guy to do something about the rock guards at the same time if they don't grow on us.

Just realised I didn't even provide minimal details - it's a 2011 (thus 997.2) Carrera S with PDK and about 67k on the odometer. Fair number of options (including Sport Chrono). Southwest car (AZ, NM, CA) for all its life, which is why I was willing to pay a bit extra and am willing to deal with the logistics.

When I was shopping, there were essentially two 997.2s that met my requirements (997.2 with PDK in a non-boring colour), this one and another, lower mileage S in Indianapolis that also wasn't silver/grey/black. This one was actually the less expensive one of the two due to its higher miles.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/20/22 4:43 p.m.

PPF on a car with 67k miles on it already?  You might not want to do that, all the rock chips show up even worse through the PPF....

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/21/22 5:24 a.m.

That's beautiful

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 8:54 a.m.

Have you thought about any temporary paint protection? I'd be nervous about picking up defects on the trip home.

I saw mention of 2 different products designed for the job in another car forum. Might be worth investigating.

https://www.trackarmour.com/collections/all?fbclid=IwAR15o-PpdogJBsX3FG43yyEzYmZajjEuHVsVCXwJ3QzFNorJ77QDRC5k5ek
https://www.xpel.com/search?keywords=tracwrap&fbclid=IwAR0wHjIDYu4gh6RhiGlvLsEsa-rBi7KXtbZuVcRbVO-Q6v1fDSuOmKZLgQQ

BoxheadTim
6/23/22 12:46 p.m.

Well, the annoying part of the journey continues. The CU got the reissuance of the loan check half right - they made it out correctly this time - but for extra kicks they sent it to me rather than directly to seller like we had agreed. So that's another $70-ish again to overnight it to him so he can deposit it at his bank tomorrow instead of him being able to deposit it today. Makes me a little less than impressed, but at least it looks like we'll still be able to pick the car up as agreed.

Talk about unnecessary stress.

BoxheadTim
6/28/22 4:17 p.m.

Countdown activated...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/22 8:54 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I hear you.  The farmed out to India customer service messed up my check too.  I pen and ink and initialed the corrections.  We will see.  It's legit for government docs and I have heard no complaints from the seller so it may have worked out.

BoxheadTim
6/30/22 12:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Hope it works out. This time the check was accepted by the seller's bank, and the car is now sitting at the Porsche dealer in Fresno for the pre-trip preventative maintenance.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/22 4:16 p.m.

Good luck Tim. I hope this works out for you. 

BoxheadTim
6/30/22 7:09 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Thanks!

Car is now parked outside the hotel room

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/22 9:02 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Cool! Safe travels. 

BoxheadTim