J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/10/23 8:35 a.m.
feature_image

Why is the clutch pedal so abnormally thin on the Lexus GT3 car in IMSA? Because they wanted the widest brake pedal possible.

“That’s something I introduced when I came to the team,” Lexus brand ambassador and former Vasser Sullivan Racing driver Townsend Bell says. “[It’s] because I wanted the fattest brake pedal face. We couldn’t move the pedal arms. …

Read the rest of the story

calteg
calteg SuperDork
3/10/23 12:44 p.m.

That's super interesting. Are they not allowed to use a small amount of rubber for grip? Or does it all come from the driver's racing shoes? I feel like I'd want a small rubber strip on the clutch pedal, without making it any wider

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/10/23 12:48 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

The only time they use that pedal is leaving the pits. The little button head screws provide more than enough grip.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
3/10/23 12:50 p.m.

I guess the clutch just doesn't take much effort, which is to be expected. I would have thought leaving the left half of the pedal face would have helped, but if it is not needed and doesn't help, it is just extra weight.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/23 8:56 p.m.

It's not quite that narrow but the clutch pedal in my Formula Ford is the smallest pedal in the car including the dead pedal.  I've thought about swapping the clutch and the dead pedal but I think that might be confusing and I'm not sure I could find it in a spin.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/10/23 9:47 p.m.

Left foot brakers and sequential gearboxes are shrinking our clutch pedals!

Similar setup is in WRC cars.

Can't find a video of it, but I think it was a Grand Am GT RX-8 that needed the clutch pedal with an EMCO sequential box. The driver still had to heel-toe downshift.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vjb6ByaPd3GmRF9y4IjPplvgiXctqWvvn7VKdapSXeDi6nLz5ZDxqP5KPce28Pya