1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/5/21 9:36 a.m.
feature_image

When’s the last time you saw a metal-bodied Shelby Cobra, let alone one finished in polished copper?

Such is the case for CSX 4602. Part of the 4000-series Cobras that are, essentially, continuation models built almost identically to the way the original Cobras were built back in ‘60s, this one had its body hand-built by Kirkham Motorsports—an option for customers …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/5/21 9:38 a.m.

Even though I'm the one who suggested the piece, I'm still on the fence. Like, honestly, the modern oil filter bugs me the most. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/5/21 9:41 a.m.

Can it breathe through the miniscule air filter was my first thought. I have seen enough wraps that a full copper body looks cool but it's almost passed off as not real off the cuff.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 9:42 a.m.

It's forking awesome. 

And I'll bet the electrical system has no issue with grounds. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/5/21 9:44 a.m.

Tarnish keeps coming to mind. :)

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/5/21 9:45 a.m.

I've seen this done a lot in video games, but not in real life. I'm all for it.

That is awesome! Copper is probably my favorite metal from a looks standpoint. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/21 10:15 a.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

Tarnish keeps coming to mind. :)

That could actually be even cooler depending

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/5/21 10:24 a.m.

I absolutely love it, but I can't think of any place where you could drive it.  The second it comes into contact with any salt at all, it'll start to green.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 10:30 a.m.

Is it actual copper, or is it that electro-painting metallic stuff?  What do they call it... spectrachrome?

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
3/5/21 10:32 a.m.

I would've done a matte finish on the copper with polish stripes. Copper looks it's best when it's almost bronze

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/21 10:34 a.m.

It's gorgeous.

But I was an art major, so I'm pretty sure my opinion shouldn't count.

Would you like fries with that?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 10:37 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

Can it breathe through the miniscule air filter was my first thought. I have seen enough wraps that a full copper body looks cool but it's almost passed off as not real off the cuff.

We had a Cobra replica on our dyno once. Took off the air filter and got 40 hp.

To answer the question posed by the headline - it can be both unique and weird. It's an art piece.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 10:38 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

I agree.  Gorgeous.  I did some underhood plumbing once with copper as a neat accent.  It lasted about 6 days before it looked like crap.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/5/21 10:45 a.m.

It's great until you have to take care of it.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/5/21 10:46 a.m.

I wonder if you could clearcoat it to keep the look but not have to worry about it turning green?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/5/21 10:50 a.m.

I love the copper.

I dislike the air filter.

66polara
66polara
3/5/21 10:57 a.m.

Anyone want to bet it was built for the same guy who had the Copper Caddy built by Dave Kindig? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/5/21 11:09 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

I wonder if you could clearcoat it to keep the look but not have to worry about it turning green?

Would wax help preserve the finish? 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/5/21 11:11 a.m.

I like weird automotive things, but I don't care for that.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/5/21 11:14 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Is it actual copper, or is it that electro-painting metallic stuff?  What do they call it... spectrachrome?

It's genuine copper. And I remember reading that they needed special copper with some sort of ultra-low oxygen content or something and the only way to get it was in an absurdly large order, like waaaay more than you needed to make a single Cobra body.

The same shop also built one with a bare polished aluminum body and a complete billet-aluminum chassis. As in the entire frame, brackets and suspension pickup points, were all hewn from a single block of billet. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
3/5/21 11:19 a.m.

It's both at the same time.

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
3/5/21 11:23 a.m.

That is beautiful... love it.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/21 11:32 a.m.
NickD said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

It's genuine copper. And I remember reading that they needed special copper with some sort of ultra-low oxygen content or something and the only way to get it was in an absurdly large order, like waaaay more than you needed to make a single Cobra body.

The same shop also built one with a bare polished aluminum body and a complete billet-aluminum chassis. As in the entire frame, brackets and suspension pickup points, were all hewn from a single block of billet. 

I was wondering if you could actually take regular steel panels and electro/chem-plate them with copper or similar. Actually I'm sure you can. I was actually wondering if they did that or if they handmade new pieces from solid copper. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/5/21 11:37 a.m.

It's beautiful, but the 17 year cicadas are coming back this summer. One drive and it would look like a golf ball. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6XHm1mmnLmMx9gQenzqPooTISLLD2ZuCJL5cv4xA8UIvOb96EIyAR34AEZwGmXk