1 2 3
Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/24/22 4:54 p.m.

We were on vacation for the past 5 days and my rental was a 22 Camry.

I found the car to be not as beige as I thought. Unfortunately the lane assist is annoying.

I have this habit when driving on roads; if the speed isn't high enough to hold the car on the banking I don't make steering corrections just because the tires are going to touch the white line on the shoulder.

We were driving through the mountains and 5-6 times traffic was such that this happened. If that wasn't annoying enough there was one section of road construction that had a chicane that crossed lanes.......the car was freaking out and kept trying to adjust even though we weren't technically changing lanes.

This is the first car with full nannies that I've actually driven on the road. I may be driving my current car for a while if this is the norm.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/22 5:03 p.m.

My Fusion has it. I'm used to it, I guess. Doesn't bother me.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/24/22 5:08 p.m.

Getting used to it is largely a matter of taking the time to understand how it responds to different inputs and being adaptable. When we first got my wife's car with this, it was irritating and seemed like it was constantly fighting me. Now that my driving style in that car has had time to acclimate, I rarely even notice anymore. Same with the emergency brake alert/assist that thinks you're going to hit things you know you're not. 

I seem to recall similar complaints about people getting used to ABS equipped braking systems.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/22 5:25 p.m.

I would hope there is a "off" setting.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 5:28 p.m.

Poorly implemented lane assist is annoying. Well implemented, you barely notice it's there. I spent a good amount of time driving a 2018 VW over the past couple of weeks and it works really well on that car. It basically behaves as if the pavement around the lines is raised a bit and the car shies away from them. No warnings, no noise, no sudden movements. Just a bit more resistance.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 5:28 p.m.

That and the cruise control in my Mom's Subaru are the #1 reason to not buy a new car.

Having the stupid car try to run you into the side of a tractor trailer rig that is in your lane is downright stupid. As is slamming on the brakes when someone cuts you off in traffic. 

And yes, the early ABS systems were just as bad. I pulled the fuse on the system in my E150 after running over a deepwell socket put me in the middle of a busy intersection. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/24/22 5:47 p.m.

It came on the wife's 19 Tucson. Its spooky as berk. We noped that thing off shortly after buying it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 5:58 p.m.

I have never noticed lane assist except for GM"s buttshakers.  Maybe the lines on my road test loop are not noticed by the cameras?

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/24/22 6:31 p.m.

Seeing as the majority of roads have Bot-dots I find this feature unnecessary.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/22 6:53 p.m.

My son's Hyundai can apply a disconcerting amount of counter-effort. But what's worse is when it says: "I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave". 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
10/24/22 6:59 p.m.

I tried to like it with the wifes VW golf,thenI tried to like it on my new Tundra....nope both are turned completely off now.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/24/22 7:35 p.m.

My first experience was several years ago in a rental Fusion on a trip to Las Vegas.   There was a lot of construction on the interstate near town and the lane lines have been painted in many different locations, car wanted to fight me as I tried to stay in lane.  Our ‘17 Explorer has it but it’s much less noticeable and can be shut off / will stay off even after shutting the engine off. 

The company ride was replaced recently with a ‘22 Trailblazer.  The lane assist can be shut off but you need to do so every time you start out. It uses a camera rather than radar sensors and it hasn’t been too annoying so I don’t bother shutting it off.  On the collision avoidance part, it’s super helpful that the following distance is adjustable which limits the “RED ALERT” warnings; at first it was beeping every time the car in front of me touched the brakes.   With it set on the closest distance setting it might go off once in a week of driving now as opposed to several times a day. (Closest setting is probably around 20-30 feet, so not really close at slow speeds in traffic.)  I’ll also echo Driven 5 in that I’ve probably adjusted my driving somewhat to keep the car from yelling at me. 

Edit to reply to Tremm: we did 1,300 miles in the Fusion mentioned above hitting national parks, etc between Nevada, Arizona, California and Utah.  More than a few times it was yelling at me to keep hands on the wheel because the roads were so straight that I hadn’t had to move the wheel in miles.  So somewhat annoying but it would in theory protect a driver that fell asleep. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/24/22 7:38 p.m.

My mustang has it and while fairly benign, it's still annoying af. 
It's turned off.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/24/22 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Just drove a rental Hyundai 600 miles, very much in your face lane assistance and alerts. Driving one handed set it off, construction zones without well painted over lines jerked the wheel all over, and coming out of a long underpass into the sun just threw up all the alerts and started braking assist. Pulled over and turned that off before making it 10 miles from Atlanta Airport.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/22 8:34 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

I would hope there is a "off" setting.

There is. Once off it will not turn back on. 

I rented one for a month this summer. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/22 8:44 p.m.

What tech designers of new cars really need to develop is a fierce warning (maybe electric shock in the seat) to tell many folks that there is a reason 12 cars are piled up behind them in the fast lane and the car in front of them is disappearing over the horizon.

Geez, if you are not actively passing the car in the right lane by a delta of at least 5 mph, get the hell out of the way!

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/24/22 8:51 p.m.

The system on my '19 Ranger is also pretty benign but it definitely does not understand apexes... or turn in points... or exit edges...

BenB
BenB HalfDork
10/24/22 8:53 p.m.

I rented an Equinox last year and the lane nanny was very intrusive. It was pretty aggressive about moving back to where it thought I should be. You could turn it off, but it would reset when you shut the car down. Fortunately, on my wife's TLX, you can defeat it and it won't reset. Now, if only I could do that with the stupid auto engine shutoff!

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/24/22 8:58 p.m.

the bmw system allows you to configure it.  I disabled the lane correction and set the warning to low, so when you hit a line it doesn't like it gently shakes the steering wheel.  That too can be turned off and you quickly get used to it.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/24/22 10:13 p.m.

We rented a Jeep Compass with lane assist on the way back from the Keys so three days of driving all interstates. It was super annoying around town and in the city but I loved it for the long boring stretches. I could eat a sandwich and know I wasn't wandering out of my lane. I felt like it made driving a bit less exhausting since it made the micro attention part a little easier. However it did not like my driving style around curves as it does not understand apexes. Come too close to the inside line and yank- yank- yank it fought to get me centered in the lane. That sucked. The adaptive cruise was nice too except it was easy to find yourself going 50 behind a slow poke that with regular cruise you would have just bombed around in another lane. So for me, off in the city, on when doing 500 mile days of i71/i75 type interstate. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/24/22 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I didn't mess with it since I new the car was going back in a few days.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/24/22 11:06 p.m.

Our Sierra has it.

It's easy to hit the button and shut it off.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/25/22 6:52 a.m.

My fleet Fusions had it. I turned it off on the first day. The roads around here are too narrow, plus it cut into my proper apexing. 

We need to stop rewarding the inattentive with technology the rest of us don't want or need.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/22 7:31 a.m.

Toyota needs to calibrate theirs better and the damn bells etc that Toyota use is annoying af.

The Honda systems are very well done and they've never annoyed me. I actually drive with them on because it isn't intrusive.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/22 8:19 a.m.

I played with it in my wife's Fusion when we first got it and it's interesting tech but I find it completely pointless so I turned it off and have never had any desire to turn it on.  Staying in one's lane is a pretty basic driving skill.  One I mastered four decades ago.  If I'm too tired or distracted to do that I shouldn't be driving anyway. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K69KkDPPx9uqkhJzymIywPPf0vVW2Drji0FyJbJpo9yTasWrYmglXc7yqGPjpU32