1 2
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/18/19 11:06 a.m.
CyberEric said:

In reply to Carbon :

Really?! That’s great to hear because in my area they are hardly ever for sale, and when they are, they’re Toyota-taxed like crazy. Miatas are half the price around here (SF Bay). I can pull up a half dozen nice-ish NBs for less than 4K. Not a single Spyder for sale. Last one I saw was $6k. Where do you see them so cheap?

Massachusetts. I went on fb marketplace to prove myself wrong and found ten right off the bat that are asking sub 5k. Several were 3k and two were 1+k needing engines. $3500 should buy a reliable fixer upper here.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/18/19 12:33 p.m.
Dootz said:

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

So that people would have a reason to buy its platform mate the Elise

The timeline doesn't fit - the 2ZZ-GE version of the Elise didn't show up until the 2005 model year, long after the MR2 Spyder had been sold in the US.

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/18/19 12:50 p.m.

I have a Cheap ish one for sale.... In the PNW if anyone is looking :D

they are great little go karts! But I needed more seats.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/18/19 12:50 p.m.
Carbon said:
CyberEric said:

In reply to Carbon :

Really?! That’s great to hear because in my area they are hardly ever for sale, and when they are, they’re Toyota-taxed like crazy. Miatas are half the price around here (SF Bay). I can pull up a half dozen nice-ish NBs for less than 4K. Not a single Spyder for sale. Last one I saw was $6k. Where do you see them so cheap?

Massachusetts. I went on fb marketplace to prove myself wrong and found ten right off the bat that are asking sub 5k. Several were 3k and two were 1+k needing engines. $3500 should buy a reliable fixer upper here.

There's a scruffy black one with 120k miles for $3500 in Fairfield, CT on FB Marketplace that I would absolutely be picking up if I had room for a third car

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/19 4:44 p.m.

I would love to see Toyota bring the MR2 back as a hardtop hybrid 2 seater sports car

Toyspyder
Toyspyder New Reader
2/8/23 7:05 p.m.

I have had a 2000 since 2011. Stuck in a 2zz in 2012 to increase the fun factor. Coilovers. bracing, hardtop, upgraded seat and head unit, 6 speed, wheels and tires all have been added. I have owned this car longer than any of the other 52 cars I have owned in my lifetime. It ranks in my top 5 of all time favorite fun to drive cars along with my:

69 Camaro Z28

78 Datsun 280Z

94 Integra GSR

2003 Nissan 350Z.

It may actually be the most fun of them all.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
2/9/23 2:14 p.m.

Isn't there a yellow one on this forum that i think ran in the Challenge? had all the panels stripped off of it? what was the weight on that one? and how did it do in the quarter mile? That seems like an absolute blast

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/23 2:39 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

Thats me!   It weighed in at 1620 lbs (pre-roll bar and 2zz swap).  I just dropped 12 lbs per corner switching to 13" wheels from some heavy Bassetts.  It ran a 14.6 @ 95 this year with a 2zz.  It was about a second slower with the old 1zz.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
2/10/23 6:06 a.m.

When these first came out I looked at them. The local Toyota dealerships all had a $5K "market readjustment charge" on them. That was a lot back then. I walked. Eventually bought a Miata which I still have and so glad I made that choice instead.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
2/10/23 8:05 a.m.

I bought a (1-owner-with-a-perfect-Carfax-record) 70K mile 2000 Spyder last fall.  It's an absolute joy to drive on a sunny day with the top down. Highly recommended.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CKXg9OVo16kLy7WDHhGHhLtCfr2vlAzKQdeNAhaeqDrt6v9QgHGZOzRrN8nCRS34