1 ... 3 4 5
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/13 8:58 a.m.

Wow, I leave closest to an Advance and it has always been my default. Can't say that they are "car guys" but way better than Pep Boys and nothing has ever crapped out on me.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/9/13 11:46 a.m.

I just want to add that this weekend I found out the heater core I bought at Advance and installed less than 30k ago is now leaking all down my carpet. I have no desire whatsoever to rip apart the dash and fix this again. Due to the rust I've recently found, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. After 13 years I'm throwing in the towel on the car. Thanks a lot, E36 M3ty quality parts store parts.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/9/13 11:51 a.m.

Been there. I put 5 cores in the 9C1 in less than 7 years. Got so good at it, that I could have one out and in, in less than an hour.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/9/13 11:57 a.m.

^^ This pic from My Garage shows what was required the last time I did it. The heater core is dead center behind the HVAC controls and you have to be a contortionist to get to all the bolts back there with the dash still installed. Took it down to the carpet to clean all the coolant out :|

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/13 5:06 p.m.

I think failed heater cores have put more MkIII Volkswagens into the junkyard than any other failed part.

Sorry about your alternator, SF1. I eventually went with an FD alternator with a modified pulley on it that bought from the dealer in my FC RX-7 for similar reasons.

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
4/9/22 10:06 a.m.

Canoe!

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
4/9/22 10:24 a.m.

Around here, they're known as "Vatozone" - their parking lots are always full of 20 year old beat to E36 M3 trucks with fancy wheels and mismatched crap tires, with the hoods up and major repairs going on.

You know how heater cores get installed on the assembly line? They suspend the heater core in mid-air, then assemble the vehicle around it.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/9/22 11:30 a.m.

In every town I've been in, that had both, (and that's a LOT)  it has been pretty much a coin toss as to one or the other being worse. Same cheap made parts; most come off the same assembly lines! Same hiring  policies - just luck of the draw as to who accidentally managed to get a decent employee.  

earlybroncoguy1 said:

Around here, they're known as "Vatozone" - their parking lots are always full of 20 year old beat to E36 M3 trucks with fancy wheels and mismatched crap tires, with the hoods up and major repairs going on.

Reading this, I says to myself.."this guy is definitely from Texas".

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/9/22 4:59 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Reading this, I says to myself.."this guy is definitely from Texas".

People used to call it that growing up in CT, so I dunno if it's just a Texas thing. 

It's the beat up trucks with fancy wheels and mismatched tires. It's a huge cultural thing around here. Lots of dudes running around in trucks like that. See also "takuache"...

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/10/22 10:10 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

It's the beat up trucks with fancy wheels and mismatched tires. It's a huge cultural thing around here. Lots of dudes running around in trucks like that. See also "takuache"...

CT had plenty of it too, it was just usually Civics, etc. instead of trucks.  But same basic theme and likely a lot of the same culture behind it. 

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
4/10/22 10:23 a.m.

Never have understood that kind of thinking. If they had spent just a fraction of the cost of the fancy wheels and thumpin' subs on basic maintenance with quality parts, their POS vehicles wouldn't be breaking down all the time. But, some people never will learn....  

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n4DWTUjBfeSoWf2zaJSdhWYL9x8xr5J6D5ygE5aB5wpsQs7qqzjK2uQ8KN9l77ci