1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/16/12 11:43 p.m.

There's only a few forms of motorsports available close by, basically it's dirt ovals, truck and tractor pulling, and mud racing.

(cue deliverance banjos)

So I got to thinking, what could I do that's A.) Local B.) Kinda affordable and C.) Awesome.

I don't have a fullsize truck, and as much as I'd like to have one, I don't see it in the cards. I've always liked mud racing, it's like drag racing, but shorter and dirtier.

I need something I could drive to the fairgrounds, and then back home. I need something rugged, simple, available, and most importantly, cheap. Most of these guys race fullsize chevy and fords, solid front axles, and big motors.

I had thought of a V8 Cherokee for some time, but now I think I see the pieces comming together

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/16/12 11:46 p.m.

Posted before I was done.

Basically, LSx, built automatic, mud tires and the required lift.

Enable?

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
2/17/12 12:23 a.m.

GM LS4 will bolt up to the stock Jeep AW4 transmission using a Isuzu Rodeo 3.2/3.5 bellhousing which has the GM 60 degree pattern. Other 60 degree engine options are a supercharged 3800, Aurora V8, or Northstar.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/12 1:27 a.m.

I don't think the Cherokee's axles will be very happy with a V8 and big ol tires. It would probably be way cheaper to just buy an old chevy fullsize with a sold front axle and go from there. BUT you said you don't want a fullsize. What about a Montero SR? The Gen 2s will fit 33s stock and 35s with just a 2" body lift. I know the drivetrain can handle 35s no problem and I've heard that 37s are just fine too. They've got a rear locker stock too.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/17/12 6:02 a.m.
PseudoSport wrote: GM LS4 will bolt up to the stock Jeep AW4 transmission using a Isuzu Rodeo 3.2/3.5 bellhousing which has the GM 60 degree pattern. Other 60 degree engine options are a supercharged 3800, Aurora V8, or Northstar.

Holy crap I wish you'd have never posted that. I feel like I did when I discovered girls.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/17/12 6:31 a.m.
PseudoSport wrote: GM LS4 will bolt up to the stock Jeep AW4 transmission using a Isuzu Rodeo 3.2/3.5 bellhousing which has the GM 60 degree pattern. Other 60 degree engine options are a supercharged 3800, Aurora V8, or Northstar.

Does this mean that all LS motors will bolt up with this bellhousing?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
2/17/12 7:19 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

No. Only the compact FWD pattern motors.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
2/17/12 7:26 a.m.

Go watch some races first.

Many of the mud/dirt budget races seem cool, until someone gets ticked and totals their rig smashing into another one.

I hate that side of competition, many people would rather crash into a lead car putting them both out than face loosing fairly. It's relatively common as to what I've seen, and some people smash nice stuff.

OTOH, I bet a cherokee would pull nicely, they are light when compared to the equivalent suv.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
2/17/12 7:31 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Does this mean that all LS motors will bolt up with this bellhousing?

wow. you make it sound so easy. any one of those out powers the stock 4.0

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/17/12 7:36 a.m.

It's not that I don't want a fullsize, I'm going after the compact SUV weight advantage. That and I love the Cherokee's look, the uber SUV. I know this could snowball really quickly, bigger axles, bigger tires etc effects driveability.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/17/12 8:10 a.m.

what about the 4 cylinder oval classes? I heard that neons are good in that category. I have no idea what I'm talking about other than that I heard it here.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/17/12 8:45 a.m.

Yeah, but those cars are gutted, which means I have the added expense of a tow vehicle and trailer. I've thought about that too, but I'm looking for something I could resell as a street vehicle would I be done with it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/17/12 8:49 a.m.

Wait.... i can have a Northstar Cherokee?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/17/12 10:21 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: No. Only the compact FWD pattern motors.

Ah, the LS4 is the 5.3 Pontiac/Impala/etc. fwd motor. Forgot about that. Sounds like fun though.

92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Wait.... i can have a Northstar Cherokee?

2JZ Cherokee? The AW4 trans used in some Cherokees is the auto trans used in the MKIII Supra... is there a way to mate it to a 2JZ?

(FWIW, we thought about doing a Cherokee like the infamous GRM Challenge one style, except with a 7MGTE from the Supra we had laying around)

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
2/17/12 10:32 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

From what I’ve read the 2JZ A340E bellhousing will bolt up to the AW4. Only issue is the bellhousing has one extra bolt hole which needs to be drilled and tapped in the AW4.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
2/17/12 10:33 a.m.

Second post down.

Goes over all the different combos for transmission/engines

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/17/12 11:53 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: No. Only the compact FWD pattern motors.
Ah, the LS4 is the 5.3 Pontiac/Impala/etc. fwd motor. Forgot about that. Sounds like fun though.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Wait.... i can have a Northstar Cherokee?
2JZ Cherokee? The AW4 trans used in some Cherokees is the auto trans used in the MKIII Supra... is there a way to mate it to a 2JZ? (FWIW, we thought about doing a Cherokee like the infamous GRM Challenge one style, except with a 7MGTE from the Supra we had laying around)

Ummmm.... i'm thinking... Comanche. Set up like the old road race truck series, huffing eleventy billion whp from a 7m.

You'd probably use the R154 bellhousing for the 2jz.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/17/12 12:00 p.m.

Waitadamnminute...

Could... could... could i have 4wd 2jz?

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/17/12 2:17 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Waitadamnminute... Could... could... could i have 4wd 2jz?

My God.... What have I created?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
2/17/12 2:48 p.m.

So that gives me the question, where does the shifter come out on a R154?

That locost post just gives me sooooo many evil ideas....

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
2/17/12 6:29 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Holy crap I wish you'd have never posted that. I feel like I did when I discovered girls.

Holy crap that comment made my day.

And also, you're a bastard. Because now in addition to wanting an XJ, I now want one with the supercharged 469-hp 4.4 Northstar found in the STS-V. Damn you eternally.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
2/17/12 7:04 p.m.

BTW, this is what I found for the rest of that locost post that seems to be missing.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/archive/index.php/t-4740.html

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/17/12 7:44 p.m.

Im still waiting for the part where the OP figures out if the "big motor" (+ big weight) trucks are actually faster than a stock or lightly modded 4.0 cherokee. Im thinking there's a fair chance they arent.

I dont see how dirt oval, pulling, or mud racing requires big tires. Seems like 31s would be fine and that wouldnt take much lift or TOTALLY kill your power on a cherokee (especially if you find 4cyl axles). And stock axles would probably live with 31s, but doing tractor pulling in 4low might be able to break them. This is assuming some modded 4.0.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
2/18/12 4:17 p.m.

Vigo,

Not pallning to do anything with said Jeep but some local mud events, maybe some four wheeling, and driving on the street. Not all three.

Also, by big tires I was implying larger than stock, not nessescarily 38's.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/19/12 9:12 a.m.

I say use the smallest tires you can get away with for your intended use. Big tires KILLLLLLLLLLL acceleration, braking, and mpg, although they dont necessarily hurt your handling that much..

I think if you get a 4.0/5spd 4wd cherokee, put some 4cyl/auto axles in it, and run 29 or 30" off-road tires with an easy spacer/block ~2" lift, you will be fairly happy. If you dont like spacers or blocks you can add another stock leaf to the rear pack and run certain stock grand cherokee front springs for same effect. This info is on jeep forums somewhere.

BTW, i have seen a bone stock 4.0/5spd/4wd Wrangler beat purpose-built trucks at the mud drags.. the one time i went.. I think a lot of off-roaders are doing their mods for the glory and dont actually realize that upping your power as fast as you up your tire is a losing race.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hQNmlKXyFu0sTWmDHP2tFuhRvuUYdK5XARzvL1kUEQLBKIzy1BbVoGG2UUwIFtGT