1 2 3
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 8:03 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The reason I could access the pawl, was because part of it broke out (see my first post ) when a stand failed. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/7/20 9:18 a.m.

For the first time in my wrenching life I just inspected my jack stands. I've had mine so long I don't even remember where I got them. But checking the tooth depth and pawl engagement, they look way better than that recalled set. I agree with everyone else, those tooth castings got too shallow.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/7/20 9:27 a.m.
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 9:35 a.m.

So wait. Is the recall for the silver or the red ones?  I read it as the red ones only. 

4/7/20 9:54 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Article pictures the red ones, but stated the number is 61197. The silver ones I posted photos of are the 61197, as seen in one of my photos . 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/7/20 9:57 a.m.

Just went and looked at my 20-year-old "MVP Pro Lift" stands and they look a lot better....

6-ton

4-ton

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/20 11:31 a.m.

Huh, I have a pair of 61197s that I guess I'll stop using on all but the lowest setting.  Interestingly, they've been reliable while I have had a different Harbor Freight jackstand fail at the pawl.

_
_ Dork
4/7/20 2:54 p.m.

Ancient Chinese proverb: never trust life to man saving pennies

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
4/7/20 3:14 p.m.

Welp! Just put my car on them 2 weeks ago with 4 brand new 6 ton stands, two silver ones were the last set on sale and show the recalled part number. Red ones were 10 bucks more and no part number on them at all. Thanks for the heads up OP.....

This is why I always have Jack's setup alongside me while I work since I am a nurvous nalley when getting cars up in the air.....

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/7/20 3:56 p.m.

bumping this just to make sure people see this. 

I have some red ones.  I still need to check to see if they are the 6906 model

octavious
octavious Dork
4/7/20 4:33 p.m.

Is it all or just the 6 ton? I have the 3 ton, part number 61196.   They are the back up stand so not a big deal for me. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/20 7:37 p.m.

My old 6 tons (they're probably at least 10 years old) have just shy of a 1/4" pawl.

b13990
b13990 Reader
4/7/20 9:13 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Six ton jack stands? If I ever get underneath something that requires six-ton jack stands, I won't even buy the shop towels from Harbor Freight.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/7/20 9:17 p.m.

In reply to b13990 :

The 6 ton go higher than any other stand HF has. I have my bunny on 4 of them at max extension. 

b13990
b13990 Reader
4/7/20 9:26 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to b13990 :

The 6 ton go higher than any other stand HF has. I have my bunny on 4 of them at max extension. 

OK, that's something to consider I reckon.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/20 9:42 p.m.

I guess I'm OK with mine:

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
4/7/20 9:56 p.m.

This makes the extra $50 buy-in and 30 seconds per use of the Esco stands I bought several years ago seem like a hell of a deal.  

I have Craftsman ones like above from 10 or so years ago, will have to take a look just to see how the teeth  look.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/20 12:25 a.m.

Well, I'll be checking on mine for sure. I have a few sets banging around in the garage I bought to get the extra height.

4/8/20 6:31 a.m.

I was at the Hammer Store yesterday, "61197" stands are no longer available. While I didn't measure or take photos, the current 6-ton stands appear to have deeper, sharper teeth. 

Just checked mine. 

The silver and black 6 ton set match the part number listed in the recall, but the orange and white 6 ton have a different part number. 

Is everybody just going to get another set from HF, or...?

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
4/8/20 7:58 a.m.

Yeah, I'm interested in what people think is the next best value.  I have a couple of the 3-ton Pitts and some old Autozone generics, but I wouldn't mind just replacing them all with something less sketchy.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/8/20 8:13 a.m.
_ said:

Ancient Chinese proverb: never trust life to man saving pennies

Oh the irony.  

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
4/8/20 9:18 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) said:

Is everybody just going to get another set from HF, or...?

Most likely. Especially if the recall pays out full retail price (I didn't pay full price, there's always a coupon) and then there will probably be a coupon available for the new design replacements. 

I don't feel like there's any need to swear off Harbor Freight stands forever, these things all come out of the same factories and have the same design. Just happens that this part number for HF has worn out tooling or casting patterns. Floor jacks, engine hoists, engine stands, jack stands, etc on this end of the price scale are all the same no matter the retailer or paint color, so I'm not paying more for the same things with a different name on the sticker.

In reply to newrider3 :

I may go the other way and get the Esco jacks. I don't need the 6T weight limit of the HF units, but losing the 2 inches will hurt a bit.

The higher prices seems to get you a better design. 

https://www.asedeals.com/store/esco-flat-jack-stand-10498/ 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/20 4:07 p.m.

Looks like mine are going back

photo of the teethe 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L3r8eqGV6HcxQNTg2MxYZe3FJWr5Ab6ekd6QsLMtw4rzGAaNYihBsBrdxVMiEkcm