1 2
Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/2/20 8:41 p.m.

lmao. "Terrifying" doesn't even begin to describe...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 5:47 a.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

I used to work on one of those.  Probably the same model.  Looked identical except red.  It was plenty sturdy to work on full size cars.

I want to know how they got that Aerostar off the ground.  If you know your trigonometry, you'd recognize that the scissor mechanism has the lowest mechanical advantage when all the way down.  We had to put a pair of long 2x12s next to the lift to drive the cars onto so the lift could raise them the first couple inches.  Set a car all the way down without wheels on it and you were absolutely screwed.

The rollers on the back also will eat the concrete.  We ended up with stainless steel shim stock to use as a roll pad, that would get replaced every so often as the rollers mangled it.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
11/3/20 6:07 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

ESCOs are still Covidium - I'll pass.  

What does that mean?

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
11/3/20 6:24 a.m.
mikeatrpi said:
93gsxturbo said:

What does that mean?

Gonna guess its like unobtainium. Just due to covid/the recalls and not incredibly exotic materials

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 6:29 a.m.
mikeatrpi said:
93gsxturbo said:

What does that mean?

I think it's in reference to them being made in China. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/3/20 7:00 a.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

These are the best. The other 2  of these lifts we have lift 6in higher. They are super stable. 

mitch5
mitch5 New Reader
11/3/20 12:36 p.m.

I just bought a set of 4 12 ton big red stands, 50 a piece but i can raise my heavy vanagon 2 feet off the ground. The newer ones have set screw that you can adust to take away the play in the jack. The reason for the 12 ton is the extra wide base. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/20 11:20 a.m.

I just found these and my initial look at them I am liking the plates welded in the bottom corners to distribute loads better.  The HF (and big red noted above) don't have this and I have had those types of jack stands dig in to things (like pavement) and the car can become unstable over time.  I was going to weld in plates in the corners of my HF stands but then the recall happened.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-Forge-Foundry-Ratchet-Type-Jack-Stands-6-Ton-12-000-Lb-Capacity-1-Pair/1002914186

Not the cheapest out there but jack stands are now on my list of things I am more likely to shop based on quality and less on price.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
11/4/20 1:31 p.m.
Vajingo said:

lmao. "Terrifying" doesn't even begin to describe...

Aerostars are supposed to fly.... Right?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/4/20 7:50 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I would say the quality level is the same. That being said, the bottom corner plates add some strength and stability. Rest is prolly same cheap stuff.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/4/20 7:52 p.m.
mikeatrpi said:
93gsxturbo said:

What does that mean?

I assume he means made not made in America. unfortunate, that includes almost everything. Including a fair bit of stuff tabled "made in USA"

He also could not be botherd to offer any viable alternitives.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/4/20 7:55 p.m.
MrChaos said:

I mean you can buy the 100% made in america ones at $140/pair

I would be interested in those, but do not know of any. Any suggestions? Also, are the made in USA, or asembled in USA? I dont know of either, myself, but would love sugestions.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
11/5/20 6:44 a.m.

I love the Esco stands.

Got some shorties and they have served me very well.

Old pic from when I first got them:

Yes, it was somewhat painful to splurge $$$ on them and at the time I sorta felt like an idiot for ponying up such the bucks for something as mundane and simple as jackstands --- but after much use of them I have no regerts whatsoever and it was money very well spent. Worth every cent in my opinion.

I'm unsure of where they're made, but they are solid as solid can be.

I think perhaps the design was "inspired" by the ones that used to be available from AC which were made in Denmark.

http://www.acjacks.com/acjacks_004.htm

I'm a tool nerd and appreciate good design + quality, so ymmv, but for me it's such a pleasure to use something nice 'n proper as opposed to being cussedly frustrated with a crappy design, even with the most simple of stuff...

...I mean I don't really need a Thor knockoff hammer when any old chunka  junk can bangaway but by golly has it given me much joy for slammin' stuff over the many moons it has been at hands reach.

smiley

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/22 3:23 p.m.
MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
11/6/23 8:12 p.m.

I bought Esco a few years back based on recommendations here. I like the feet, the mount pad, and the fairly fine adjustment with the two holes.

They do not fare well in this testing: https://youtu.be/hXzusz_eUy8?si=vG3qQrcNw87jgBe_

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/23 9:28 p.m.
MattGent said:

I bought Esco a few years back based on recommendations here. I like the feet, the mount pad, and the fairly fine adjustment with the two holes.

They do not fare well in this testing: https://youtu.be/hXzusz_eUy8?si=vG3qQrcNw87jgBe_

I just saw that video and was thinking the same thing.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/7/23 12:04 a.m.

I have a set like these, with a pin to adjust

I still place the tires under the vehicle, and  if I'm going to be under the vehicle I'll place 2x4 or 2x6 sections of wood on the wheels to reduce the space and limit distance it can drop if the jackstand fails. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b1NpiZhwpBbLQLNGsHjOmccmWXJCg9TQmuoqn1isxywBZURIT8TBesDRGgE7Zovv