1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/31/21 10:26 a.m.

Something over 37 hours of round trip driving. Minneapolis to near Washington DC  about 2 hours of rest on the road side going and another 2 hours coming home.   The good luck was I beat the storm going to DC and by the time I returned the roads were all cleared up and they were pulling cars and semi's out of the ditches on the way home.  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/31/21 10:27 a.m.

Secksy

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/31/21 10:49 a.m.

That's the kind of flares I'd like on my Challenge Corolla, very 70s looking. This car is going to look great when finished.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/21 11:25 a.m.

If I was any good at posting GIFs, you'd be looking at Ric Flair bellowing a solid WOOOO! Alas, I am not, so you'll just have to imagine it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/31/21 11:55 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

If I was any good at posting GIFs, you'd be looking at Ric Flair bellowing a solid WOOOO! Alas, I am not, so you'll just have to imagine it.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/21 12:21 p.m.

Those look AWESOME!!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
12/31/21 1:08 p.m.

Those fenders look GREAT!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/31/21 1:32 p.m.

I aspire to have flares like yours. Those kind of give me a boner.

12/31/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Twinsies!

12/31/21 6:21 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

What's gonna work? Teamwork!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/31/21 8:19 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I still have the pair of new Turbo's and now that I won't need to use carbs.   It's really tempting to put those on and go play a little before I vintage race. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/21 9:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I aspire to have flares like yours. Those kind of give me a boner.

This is why I'll never swing by your house on sweat-pants day.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/2/22 5:01 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Both front and rear crossmember removed in about 2 hours.  No bolts broke. 1/2 & 9/16ths removed most bolts. Used hand tools only not impact.          Only difficult part was disconnecting the drag links.  No rust just 40 years of wedged together.   Now the body is so light I can lift the front of the car with just a few fingers. 
 I was shocked at how easily it lifted off the jackstands. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/2/22 5:06 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Next step is mount the chassis on the rotisserie so we can clean up the interior and remove the undercoating. It's already flaking off  so it won't be too difficult.  Then  we will do a little touch up sanding and mount the fenders on permanently.  

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/2/22 5:20 p.m.

I have never wanted a big ol' Jaaaaag like I do now.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
1/2/22 7:06 p.m.
frenchyd said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

That looks so good! Any plans to make molds of the flares in case these get damaged while racing or will you just repair them if needed?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/2/22 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Schmidlap :

Absolutely.  Turns out if I use these as patterns, make molds, then all I get charged for is the materials I use to make the actual fenders.   Since I bought the materials so long ago they won't be very expensive so the budget won't take much of a hit for the Challenge.  
  I bought 2 turbo's onEBay very cheap so I should have plenty of power. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/2/22 8:19 p.m.

Looking great!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/2/22 8:21 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I have never wanted a big ol' Jaaaaag like I do now.

Thank you.  There are still some great deals on Jaguars.  Buy one that doesn't run. The price is down in the basement.  They are easy to get running.  Extremely rare that anything expensive will need repair.   
  But don't buy one if you need to hire someone to get it running for you.  You'll spend way more than they are worth and it likely won't get repaired properly. 
   For example the dealership will charge $1400.00 for a new Lucas Ignition module. Or you can flip the plastic over pop the GM ignition module out, spend about $35  for it at Rock Auto.  

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
1/2/22 9:26 p.m.
frenchyd said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Both front and rear crossmember removed in about 2 hours.  No bolts broke. 1/2 & 9/16ths removed most bolts. Used hand tools only not impact.          Only difficult part was disconnecting the drag links.  No rust just 40 years of wedged together.   Now the body is so light I can lift the front of the car with just a few fingers. 

frenchyD, are you creating this here as i see it.....or is there a secret cave where all this will be miraculously transformed into the BADJAGFrnchy'D that you envision?

jdogg
jdogg Reader
1/2/22 10:30 p.m.

Oh man I love an XJS V12 project, my little PP has now become the big PP. I still want one, bad, I grew up watching Tom Walkinshaw flogging his XJS around Bathurst on TV. I've got too many projects going right now but as soon as I finish one I'm getting an XJS and giving it the TWR treatment

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/3/22 7:03 a.m.
759NRNG said:
frenchyd said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

frenchyD, are you creating this here as i see it.....or is there a secret cave where all this will be miraculously transformed into the BADJAGFrnchy'D that you envision?

Its a team effort. The smartest thing I ever did.  Rather than work alone I've got two great teammates who will each get to drive it when it's finished ( probably more than I will)     
  While we are looking for another teammate that person will need to be as great and careful as the guys have been so far.  
    I've provided the knowledge and most of the tools and equipment. ( plus a nice warm shop)  Then I spend most of my time providing those tools and knowledge.  Only occasionally do I get my fat belly in their way while  I disconnect  something or whatever.    
  It's really a lot of fun and we get along very well.  ( I've learned to curb my micromanaging tendencies) 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/3/22 8:06 a.m.

Make sure you offer flare kits up, plenty of people looking for that type of flare for that size wheel well.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/3/22 8:17 a.m.
chandler said:

Make sure you offer flare kits up, plenty of people looking for that type of flare for that size wheel well.

Im one of them!

This is a great build.  Following with interest.  Makes me want to go out and drive my XJ8 around in the snow, for some sideways fun.  That said, just as TVR Scott has made roof panels for other enthusiasts, if you can, there will be people that would love those flares.  It's good to see you haven't lost your fire for this.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0CdxtEityDdl0X7KhWpZImHSmULcKgqoyHGiA3gr8aa7ZYmV9d2L7EV1cQ7p8NtK