1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/22 8:08 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I didn't see anyone answer, but we painted the stock cars with urethane and it was generally dry enough to sand and polish within about 24 hours and I've never had it react with any factory finish.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/22 9:23 p.m.
  1. Sorry I've  been busy with work on the house.  According to SWMBO.  THAT's what is required to keep using "her" garage.   ;-) apparently cream colored walls absolutely have to be Grey  or we have no class. 
         And the pantry simply cannot go another week without major upgrades. Finally the Cherry filled stairs require Maple ship lap  to match her office. 
       Please forgive me. I'll be back working on the Jag this weekend.  

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/22 10:23 p.m.

Tell her gray isn't even a color, it's a hue and something you paint color over. :)

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/22/22 10:37 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

I try to think of it as hot rod primer.  But I doubt she'll let me paint it candy apple red. ;-) 

Besides the white oak Timbers against a Gray  background?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/10/22 2:28 p.m.

Update on the Jaguar XJS. 
    Adding lightness.   The steel fenders removed weigh almost 3 times the replacement fenders which are made with a chopper gun.  Once molds are made and a fiberglass cloth  replacement goes on weight will be even less and much stronger.  
    Jeff and I Started  about 9:00 and ended a little after 1:00  now I'm trying to decide if I should bond them on or use Dzues fasteners. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/10/22 2:56 p.m.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/10/22 2:57 p.m.

looks good Frenchy!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/10/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

My best guess is the car will weigh about 2500# dry.   I'm hoping for around 550/600 hp.   Anybody know what times I should expect in a quarter mile?  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/22 5:30 p.m.

I put the over/under at 13.5.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/10/22 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Interesting.  It does seem a little slow.  But I'll accept your thoughts.  

Nice to see progress.  Keep at it.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
4/14/22 9:11 a.m.
Chris_V said:
frenchyd said:
03Panther said:

In reply to demnted :

Just experience with him and paint. He's not gonna do anything else, even if catalyst paint has come a long way from a 70's paint that was not designed for automotive use. Lacquer it is. 

If it didn't have to be catalyzed   I'd look at it.  But I still run out of a paint booth that was last used with a catalyst even if it's been a long time. 
    I'll look at tractor enamel again.  The low price per gallon  is appealing.  

Oh, and here's a previous Challenge car, all done in PPG urethane here in my garage over the course of a week.

This was done to match a hot wheels paint job...

Wait... wut...

My painting knowledge and interest starts and ends with black Rustoleum but I can confirm after scrubbing Rustoleum off this paint job with acetone the automotive paint underneath was largely undamaged. 

Challenge threads brought me here I have to say super cool build 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/14/22 11:29 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Stampie :

Dependent on the tires; I was guessing low 12's

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 11:49 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

My best guess is the car will weigh about 2500# dry.   I'm hoping for around 550/600 hp.   Anybody know what times I should expect in a quarter mile?  

Spectacular failure trophy award winner. Although that trophy is no more. (I'm not being snarky either, I just question the amount of Tire, power and VHT that the rear end will effectively be able to handle.) 

Stampie
4/14/22 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

In before the frenchy speech about how Jaguar rear end is the strongest ever made and how hotrods used them in the 80s because they were the best.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/14/22 12:42 p.m.

The combination of tire choice, spring rates, preloading, gear ratios, torque converter, independent rear suspension, launch technique, shift points, and lack of experience will most likely keep the car out of the 12's, regardless of how much horsepower it has. I'm convinced it could run 10's, but not the first trip to Gainesville.

It will never run 9's.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/14/22 12:45 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Spectacular failure trophy award winner. Although that trophy is no more. (I'm not being snarky either, I just question the amount of Tire, power and VHT that the rear end will effectively be able to handle.) 

I think the issue will be wheel spin but I don't remember what size tire he's running.  He's taking 1000lbs out of the car so the rear end would likely hold up fine.

Stampie
4/14/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

He's claiming to take it down to a weight that knowledgeable people on the Jaguar forums say it very difficult.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/14/22 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Even if he's only taking it down 500-800lbs, that's still a lot less strain on the rear end. From the pictures it looks like he's carved an awful lot of metal out of the thing.

Stampie
4/14/22 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

True but the opposite effect is he'll lose some traction without weight over the tires. I think the rear is fine. It's supposed to be a decently strong rear. I think all the other factors will keep him in the 13s. I know with Michael's Miata I had to do everything perfect to get a 14.0 run when the calculators said it was a 12 second car.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/14/22 4:58 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Stampie :

Dependent on the tires; I was guessing low 12's

For tires I was thinking Goodyear stock car slicks.  the wheels  will be 15x10.  Not exactly drag slicks but not horrible either. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 5:49 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

What's your plan to get heat in them for the autocross? Stock car slicks are notoriously greasy prior to getting up to operating temperature, which won't occur on an autocross course. I'd be wary of going that route unless you're packing tire warmers. 

Stampie
4/14/22 6:05 p.m.
Stampie said:

I put the over/under at 13.5.

Now that I know the tires I'm going with 14.0.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/14/22 6:08 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

True but the opposite effect is he'll lose some traction without weight over the tires. I think the rear is fine. It's supposed to be a decently strong rear. I think all the other factors will keep him in the 13s. I know with Michael's Miata I had to do everything perfect to get a 14.0 run when the calculators said it was a 12 second car.

That's valid. I discounted the 9's the calculators projected and was thinking in the high 10's. But 11's is still respectable.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/14/22 6:13 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

What's your plan to get heat in them for the autocross? Stock car slicks are notoriously greasy prior to getting up to operating temperature, which won't occur on an autocross course. I'd be wary of going that route unless you're packing tire warmers. 

Actually those are what I'll be vintage racing with.  But if the guys want to use something else  for the Challenge they certainly will be free to choose whatever. 
  I've watched those 900 horsepower stock cars leaving the pits and they tend to be done slipping within 10 feet or so even the guys at the front who are not limited by pit lane speed limit. 

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ERr4gfu4ecAveYlRrVl4SvgRFkvOrPwlkGGBKfMBVZgYL3IhbfHznfPMtI992jBI