1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/12/21 6:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Challenge without flares. Add them post-challenge for the vintage racing effort.

My thoughts exactly! Heck... run as a challenge car with no fenders at all, if needed! 
A lot of us want to see results of a budget V12 compared to the same budget in a BBC. 
Frenchyd is doing a great job with a build thread. Much appreciated. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/12/21 6:29 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :  I don't want to race vintage making excuses so in order not to have to tear everything back apart I'm preparing it now for vintage. 
    I'm not giving up on a Northern version of the challenge.  Just a delay. 
   I still have that pair of New Turbo's and spare V12 engines and transmissions to put them on.   I've got the pieces for my MGTD  and that  budget looks good to meet the $2000 challenge.     With an IRS I may not be able to beat the Studebaker but I should be able to do respectably. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/14/21 10:13 a.m.

Let's talk money. 
I paid $500 for the car and since have sold and traded parts for way more than the original purchase price.  But I can only claim 1/2 according to Challenge rules.       Incidentally  I've recently seen a $600 &$800  XJS in similar condition. So they continue to exist.                     
$250. Cost. 
$25 HD8 carb. ( thanks TVR Scott )                           
$280 rollcage tubing & misc steel                             
$360 Kirkley seat from Jegs                                         
$38 for aluminum plugs to close off injector.         
$15 scrap aluminum to convert injectors to carbs 

$958 so far  

I have sent 1/2 of the cost of flairs off and will pay the remaining 1/2 right after Christmas. I'm going to keep the cost of Vintage racing separate from the cost to get the car ready to race. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/14/21 10:22 a.m.

You can claim the whole car in recoup if you sold ir all off

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/21 1:52 p.m.

Duster is correct, you can recoup 100% of each purchase until you reach $1000 in total recoup. After that, you still have trading available, and there's no limit on trading as long as both sides of the trade have similar FMVs, documentable via eBay completed auction prices or junkyard part listings or consensus of 5 Challenge veterans.

12/14/21 1:53 p.m.

And regardless of the path you take, I'm happy to see you chasing your passion and building the car you want.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/15/21 3:17 a.m.

Duster is correct, you can recoup 100% of each purchase until you reach $1000 in total recoup. After that, you still have trading available, and there's no limit on trading as long as both sides of the trade have similar FMVs, documentable via eBay completed auction prices or junkyard part listings or consensus of 5 Challenge veterans.

So I can recoup all $500 I paid, then trade value for value  until I have what I want? 
  I really don't want to be called a dick so if I find someone who wants my Jaguar calipers and is willing to give me a set of used  aftermarket racing calipers that's a fair deal?   Trading my Good Jaguar GM turbo 400 for a Chevy T5 is a fair deal?  
  What about trades for trades that eventually gets me something I want?  For example I traded a set of wire wheels for a set of magnesium Knock offs made by Troutman and Barns for the Chaparral if I then trade those for a set of 15x10 Minilites. That's OK? 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/15/21 8:27 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

If you can sell $500 worth of parts off the $500 car, that's legitimate. I paid $250 for the Corolla I'm building and sold all the wheels, suspension and drive train for $250, so my shell is now zero dollars and I've used up $250 of the allowable recoup. I bought a couple of sets of wheels for $50 and $80 and traded both sets to get two wider sets and a pair of drag slicks. Your wheel trading example is a legitimate way to get what you need. FMV is something I generally try to avoid, I prefer to find and buy a bargain and get a receipt from the seller rather than use a part from my stash and get agreement on the FMV. My experience has been that I can find some stuff that people just want to clear out for ridiculously low prices, often less than I would think the FMV would be. I've talked complete strangers into giving me stuff for free and more than once strangers offered me stuff once they heard what I was doing with the parts .

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/15/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Very interesting.  Let me try another.  I'm heading to Virginia to pick up a set of  group 44 flairs. Now I've always planned on using them to make a set of molds in case I should wipe them out in an accident or something.   If I use the molds to make a set of flairs.  I'd have about $3-400 worth of materials in making another set. Since the originals wouldn't be used and the molds don't count.  I'd only have the material costs  on the flairs?   Or am I being a dick?  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/21 12:21 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Very interesting.  Let me try another.  I'm heading to Virginia to pick up a set of  group 44 flairs. Now I've always planned on using them to make a set of molds in case I should wipe them out in an accident or something.   If I use the molds to make a set of flairs.  I'd have about $3-400 worth of materials in making another set. Since the originals wouldn't be used and the molds don't count.  I'd only have the material costs  on the flairs?   Or am I being a dick?  

that's legit. The purchased flares essentially become tools. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/15/21 4:38 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

A few years ago one team needed a race seat. They bought a brand name aluminum seat to measure and then welded up a homemade one from some aluminum sheet and used the much cheaper clone on the Challenge car. Anything you make is basically in the budget for the material cost alone. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/15/21 7:02 p.m.

Wow, I can bring my cone sweeper!!! I wonder if I'll even fit through the cones with those big flairs?  How wide is an autocross track?;-) 

Do I have to go back and replace all the cones I knock down?  Heh, Heh, what if I turn it over to the autocross pros?   Do they have to pick up the cones then or is it still gonna be me?   :-( 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
12/15/21 7:32 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

While I know nothing as to rulings, I love that you are considering and asking. That is the very sprit of GRM racing, to me!

Since I have been looking fwd. to seeing the results of cheap V12 horsepower, I really hope you finish it under budget for that. But has been pointed out, your car... build what ya want! And we know where you true love lies! But I do think the original plan of challenge money rules first, and then vintage, is fully do-able!

And btw, GREAT work from a great team, and good write up. Keep the updates coming'!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/21 8:06 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Challenge noob here, but I think that the mold is a tool. Materials cost is all you have to claim.

12/15/21 8:07 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yep, all the examples you posted would be legit trades. And as Robbie said, flares used as plugs to make molds are tools, the molds are also tools, and tools are not part of budget. The flares you make from those molds only hit your budget for the cost of materials.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/16/21 8:23 a.m.

This is awesome! Great work Frenchyd and team!

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/21 9:58 a.m.

Peanut gallery here.  Glad to see movement on this.  Now that you have your sleeves rolled up, you can see how inventive, and ingenious the Challenge builders are.  It's quite admirable. Especially in todays whacky car climate.  I watch from afar, and enjoy these builds vicariously.  Nice work.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/17/21 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you.  I have a great group ( and we're looking for one more)  The key element we share is a willingness to do our best. If it isn't up to par we start over.  Both Jeff and Erik share that trait. 
  It's fun working in a warm and pleasant space with guys who share interests and goals. 
       I'm working very hard not to micro manage them.  ( a trait of mine) we decide what to do and sometimes consult with each other about how to do something.  However it's a collaboration rather than orders.  The wonderful thing is we all fit in the seat and it's about perfect as far as reach etc. 

So far I've only been able to give away Buhl water.  I do offer pop and we have wine ( no beer) plus snacks etc.  but water is it.  Just can't corrupt these guys ;-) 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/18/21 5:55 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Caged cat, well, we have to do the taco gussets.  But next it goes on the rotisserie  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
12/18/21 6:27 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's some nice looking work.

12/18/21 6:34 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Very nice indeed! Looks good for ingress and  egress, but the drivers side looks pretty low for  intrusion. Are you sure it meets spec?

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/21 6:37 p.m.
frenchyd said:

we have to do the taco gussets.

Mmmmm... Tacos....

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/18/21 9:13 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Very nice indeed! Looks good for ingress and  egress, but the drivers side looks pretty low for  intrusion. Are you sure it meets spec?

Not only does it meet specs, the top bar is right about shoulder height. Race cars tend to be lower than street cars.   Here's some shots from a different perspective  looks like the bars are outside the car?  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/18/21 9:15 p.m.

The wood stick is where the drivers door is. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/18/21 9:17 p.m.

This is with the camera level with the side. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wbgh9EhOqDRibZZkIeKN14iEBB5B6dmyqPNHoIF08VryS2y4uaCs5Snxy2WMwQjz