L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
1/31/23 2:28 p.m.

If anyone here knows stuff about Jaguar XJSs I have a couple questions. I occasionally do flips when something pops up that may get me some play money. A 1993 XJS convertible (6 cyl, auto, 150k) has been brought to my attention but it needs work. So I’m wondering if the investment in parts and time (mine) is going to net me cash or headaches. KBB says I might get 5k, a recent eBay sale is 5800.

Here is what the owner says it needs:

"The engine runs rough, old gas? Top does not go up and down automatic. Coolant leak, water pump or hoses? I have not driven it much the last few years it has been in my garage. No rust."

Oui ou alors non? smiley 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/23 3:51 p.m.

Non, IMHO, unless it's basically free. Too much risk of expensive problems.

The sixpot in those is pretty robust but I tend to not buy into the "old gas" theory unless there's basically turpentine in the tank and then you'd want to know what else that's done to the tank. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/31/23 4:19 p.m.

Old Jags really aren't the kind of car that will reward you for buying GRM level/Rockauto parts.

Snoop around SNG Barrat and Terrys Jaguar parts to get an idea of what you are in for. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/23 5:28 p.m.

When a seller says "runs rough... old gas?" that often means "there is a hole in two of the pistons," or "there are three spun rod bearings and a crack in the block."  It could also mean "The catalyst is bad and they're $1500 to replace."  It might be a bad spark plug, but plan for the worst even if you hope for the best.

If you want the top to go up and down, you're looking at pretty serious money to have someone do it, or lots of disassembly to do it yourself.  Almost always, hydraulic tops are like Mod motors and coil-on-plug packs.  You find one leaking cylinder and replace it, the next weakest one will fail and you'll be doing the job 8 times in the first year.  If it's a bad pump, good chance you replace the pump and all of the cylinders start leaking.

Not being a debbie downer, but those are two HUGE red flags, which makes me think that $5000 is at least double what it's worth as it sits.  If I were buying it, I would take the asking price and subtract $3000, which won't cover the repairs, but you'll have a cheap jag that you can spit polish and get the motor running right.

My hot take is:  If you had a spare motor collecting dust and disposable income to get the top working, maybe Oui.  If you are looking for a good, solid purchase that won't empty your bank account, Alors, non!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/23 6:40 p.m.

A true case of bad gas, if it has been sitting, could also be gummed up fuel injectors, as a consequence.

And who knows what other horrors lurk.

As a fun project, for variously masochistic levels of fun, it sounds good.  As a flip, you might end up paying yourself $5 an hour, if you do more than break even.

Do you want to mechanically restore a 30 year old car and all that entails, or do you want a quick flip?  That is the question that will get you your answer.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
1/31/23 8:51 p.m.

The intent is a fairly quick flip. I would like it running and working well by summer so I can try it out for a little bit. Then have it gone by October / November. I don’t want to have to store it over winter.

The convertible would be the selling draw out here in the west. So before I posted this I checked on the convertible top issue on a Jag forum. The ones I came across referenced electrics as the usual culprit. They say cleaning “tarnished” switch(es), from sitting inactive, is often the fix. But that is no guarantee.

My thoughts on parts first went to eBay – the water pump (if that is the leak) was under $100 and then checked Rockauto which is about the same. Then to U-Pick – our local one seems to get more in than I would expect there to be around here. But, again, no guarantees.

Price wise I could possibly get it down to 2k. Thing is if he goves it up for less then it makes the car suspicious.

Merde

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/31/23 11:19 p.m.

All you have to lose is time really. I doubt you'll lose money but might fail at getting it 100% and sell it at break even would that be horrible? If so then don't do it. But if not hey let us live vicariously through you. 

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
2/1/23 8:40 a.m.

You are probably a better mechanic than me, but I will share this anyway.  In my experience flipping a car that is a new-to-me brand can be problematic.  The learning curve on what to look out for and such can be expensive.  Thirty years ago I learned 914's and became pretty good at them.  Actually had a few customers and made enough money flipping to restore a real nice one for myself.  Ten years ago it was subarus, tougher learning curve but with the help from a friend I got good at them.  Right now I am drooling over a saab turbo convertible that is an abandoned project.  Dash is completely out and the trunk is full of parts.  But probably not touching it, thanks to the pain it can be figuring out stuff the first time.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/1/23 8:52 a.m.

Quick flips are F150s, Chevy 1500s, Dodge Caravans, and Toyota Camrys.  This is not that.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/1/23 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Trent :

There are dozens of them in various states of disassembly in junkyards all around the country.  Then Go on the Jaguar Forum for tips and tricks. There is a free down load of a 600+ page book about them. Tips tricks and how to.  
  Go to co-parts for prices.  And locations. My local yard probably has well north of 50 around.   
Parts prices  are really modest.   They are the unbelievably  reliable cars post Ford ownership. 
    Owners who bring cars like that to the dealerships get shocked at what the dealership charges.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/1/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Convertibles sell for most in the spring early summer.   You mght plan accordingly.  If you get it for $2k  and can make it pretty  by May that is a $8k profit potential. List it on BRING A TRAILER

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RIA2TqUSQIkPrZj66yKftiIGCJrOwRrTOxJG9al5YKo9CoN534JX4dwwz2v8YMAM