bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/15 12:33 p.m.

Anyone have any insight or experience? We're pretty close to pulling the trigger on a v6 4x4 limited with all the options. The other contender is the Lincoln MKC (which had some discussion when I posted asking about the Q5). After lots of research, test drives, etc.. its between only those two.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
4/17/15 1:11 p.m.

Every time I meet a new Cherokee on the road, I think of Edgar...

Sorry, I have no real input.

bluej
4/17/15 1:26 p.m.

damnit. not sure I can un-see that.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/17/15 1:27 p.m.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/17/15 1:44 p.m.

I test drove one. It felt a little too much like a car and I didn't like the interior after sitting in the Grand Cherokee. I would image the Lincoln would be nicer inside, right? We got the Grand Cherokee.

bluej
4/17/15 1:53 p.m.

yes, the lincoln is nicer inside. less storage up front, though. question is if it's $7-8k nicer. we're going to test drive a couple cherokee's again tonight, then check out the MKC one more time immediately after.

bluej
4/17/15 9:58 p.m.

Forget it, she wants the mkc

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/17/15 10:44 p.m.

They're POS cars. Transmissions don't shift right, interior stuff breaks early on, stupid electrical things wear out, and they're a Chrysler product.

<-- Former Chrysler tech... work on all makes/models now... still see 70%+ Chrysler products

I've seen several with low miles(like 15k or less) come in with stupid things like ABS wires failing, window motors and door latch problems, countless problems with all the tech BS in the radio(new problems requiring new reflashes every so often), and they just don't age well. The interior feels like complete crap after 20k miles if people actually get in/out of it on a somewhat regular basis.

The Lincoln will be much nicer in the long run. Some odd problems with the radio touchscreen crap here and there but otherwise no consistent repeat failures.

(All my opinion, like it or not)

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
4/18/15 9:37 a.m.

A Jeep is a Jeep, A Lincoln is a Lincoln.

I hear both are selling really well

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
4/18/15 5:21 p.m.

funny, it says Jeep right on the front.

You sound like one of those who say,"unless it has two solid axles, it is not a real JEEP.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
4/18/15 8:46 p.m.

This is a real Jeep.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/18/15 9:18 p.m.
iceracer wrote: funny, it says Jeep right on the front. You sound like one of those who say,"unless it has two solid axles, it is not a real JEEP.

no, it goes farther than that. When I used to have the XJ (which has two solid axles), I'd still occasionally get the "well, that's not a REAL Jeep" bullE36 M3....

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/19/15 4:30 p.m.

I think the new MKC is pretty impressive.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
4/19/15 8:07 p.m.

In reply to flatlander937:

Thank you for reminding me why I went away from ChryCo. I've needed that as I've been tempted by the penta star powered offerings. And that basic rams are much less than fords and chevys.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/19/15 8:23 p.m.

That's a fiat. Ugh.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/19/15 9:04 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: That's a fiat. Ugh.

Ding!

Apparently the Fiat 500's are pretty awful... cool cars, but awful. Sort of like, I dunno, every Fiat product ever made! Hell, maybe that can just be stretched to "most european makes"

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
4/20/15 11:19 a.m.

The 500 isn't really that bad...at least not the Abarth, which is the only kind I've driven.

The KL, which shares a similar platform with the 500, is not great. It does handle decently, but the electric power steering is very nonlinear, and at least the one I drove (Latitude, 3.2 Pentastar) the PS pump had a lag if you had been driving straight for awhile, so the initial turn would be hard, and then the pump would come in and you'd undershoot the turn. It was very frustrating.

The transmission is also terrible. Supposedly it's a 9 speed, and I tried everything to find that last gear. It was a rental. I mean everything. Even 8th was absent unless going downhill above 80 mph. Oh, and the trans got confused and wouldn't go out of neutral when I tried to make a left turn. And the fuel pump was louder than the Mallory gear pump in my wagon. The interior was a hodgepodge of materials that didn't match, but at least the seats were comfortable. I got about 25 mpg during the week I had it, which was mostly highway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yTdN0QO6DabJi637J5LLEAWB8fbQKxWzvrJX0KufwSXYCbAd6tZ69IMBujKKujCX