Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/9/21 8:25 a.m.

I've pretty much given up on an MR2 under $30k.  And after talking to SVreX on the phone about his Miata I'm thinking that might not be my Answer...

So back to Marketplace, and a little CL just in case.  I have two STI hatches saved for later, one $13K and one $16K, but the local DudeBro McVape scene has me concerned for their well-being.  I've looked at random BMW's and SO MANY AUTOTRAGICS.  Every time I see a nice looking 3 series it's an automatic.  I even get how some cars can do well with one, shift faster than me, etc but this is something I want to have fun in and row my own regardless.

A random 944 popped up on my list and even SWMBO thought it looked fun, I saved it just in case.  It sold before I had a chance to actually ask.  Two others are listed with descpritions like "everything works as it should" and when I asked if the AC worked, both replied with "well I bought the stuff to charge it and haven't tried yet" and "it's been too cold I don't know".

There's one not far from me in NKY that looks interesting.  "Originally from California, No rust, PS, PB, cold AC, am-fm cassette ,power rear hatch, power sun roof, lighted rear panel between tail lights enhances 944 logo. Well Maintained, A great amount of work in the last few years. Have all receipts; new timing belts, pulleys, and water pump, new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing, and new radiator, heater control valve, new oil cooler, plugs and wires and battery. Interior is great, except a couple of typical cracks in the dash."

Asking $9500, it might be a winner.

The search continues.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/21 9:37 a.m.

STIs for $13k and $16k???

If it wasn't for having to cover a comprehensive plumbing reconstruction, I'd be asking for links.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
5/9/21 9:42 a.m.

I am a porsche fan and am not a Subaru fan but if the choices are $10k for an early n/a 944 or $13k for an STI... I'd have already bought the Subaru.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/9/21 10:00 a.m.

There's a couple of nice 944s on BAT right now, but knowing BAT, they'll probably bring premium prices.  IMHO, 944s and 968s are already trending up, so if you like them, they're never going to get cheaper.

I don't think I'd want any STi that could be bought for $13k...

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/9/21 10:10 a.m.

can't wait till Jerry finds his own. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/9/21 2:39 p.m.

Have you nailed down your use cases yet, or are they still in flux?  To me, this is simitar to the MR2, in that it'll make a nice good weather daily, backroad fun machine, and Cars and Coffee cruiser, but may not be the best trackday car, coming from your Abarth. 

I still like it, have always liked 944s, and they look great in white.  If you come down to check it out and want an extra set of skeptical eyes on it, let me know.  I don't know the particulars of what goes wrong on them, but can look for crappy bodywork or other visible defects.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
5/9/21 3:59 p.m.

That white 944 looks like it has an aftermarket rear valance.  You know, under the bumper.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/21 4:10 p.m.

987 Boxster?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/21 4:28 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:

That white 944 looks like it has an aftermarket rear valance.  You know, under the bumper.

Its a factory "euro" rear valance, but the car has a rebuilt title ...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/9/21 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Supposedly from hail damage. Still leary of mid 80s Porsches.

And the STIs are both on second engines, which I've figured out is common in the Subaru world.

As for use, same situation. Daily drive to work 3-4 days a week, fun drives on the weekends. Don't really care about outright speed or power, more about "experience". Whatever that entails. I had a turbo FWD hatch, what's next?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/9/21 6:14 p.m.

Daily drive to work 3-4x a week.  Not in a 944 without spending some time/money sorting it out first.  That goes for any old german car.  Once sorted they're fun but the sorting process can be lengthy and expensive depending on what the previous owner(s) did and didn't do.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/9/21 6:38 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

That white one, from the description & work, sounds like a decent runner.  Supposedly recently drove to Nashville for vacation.  I'm thinking of seeing it next weekend.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
5/9/21 6:41 p.m.

$10k should still buy you at least a basket case 944 Turbo, if not a medium quality one. If you're going to get stranded driving to work either way, might as well have fun in the time that it is running. That's probably the most "it's an experience" car I've ever owned, mostly in a good way.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/21 8:18 p.m.

Hmm.... Jerry, talk to Miles.  He might know a guy.

Specifically, the guy that found him a good deal on an Esprit (last of the non intercooled turbos) at a remarkably low price for an '80s supercar.  IIRC his 944 also had passed through his hands at one point.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
5/9/21 11:40 p.m.

I've never driven a 944, but I owned a turbo FC for a number of years. One thing I think of with things like the 944 is cars have improved a lot over the years... That's a lot of money for a 35-40 year old car that isn't super quick and newer would probably be less effort too. Why not consider a FRS/BRZ, 370Z or a good condition RX-8? I have a FiST and while it lacks the sports car looks, it's surprisingly fun to drive.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/21 5:45 a.m.

I've had two 8v 944's, and they're cool and have about the best steering feel known to man, but they are _slow_ compared to modern cars. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/10/21 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

I did see a BRZ last night that caught my eye.  Saved it to my growing list, I believe it even had a supercharger.  Saw a really nice BMW as well about 2hrs away.  Getting in the Miata this morning I realized maybe I want something a bit newer/nicer/moderner for a semi-daily.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/10/21 8:31 a.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to Snrub :

Getting in the Miata this morning I realized maybe I want something a bit newer/nicer/moderner for a semi-daily.

Lexus IS300 with a manual transmission?  They are probably at the bottom of their depreciation curve right now, but it might be difficult to find a nice one.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/10/21 8:42 a.m.

944 turbo has old school turbo lag.  IE, *nothing* happens until around 300rpm.  I've owned two of them and they're fun cars but very maintenance intensive and I wouldn't want one to be my main DD.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/10/21 9:58 a.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to Snrub :

I did see a BRZ last night that caught my eye.  Saved it to my growing list, I believe it even had a supercharger.  Saw a really nice BMW as well about 2hrs away.  Getting in the Miata this morning I realized maybe I want something a bit newer/nicer/moderner for a semi-daily.

If you get your own, I'd go with Harrop SC or Jackson Racing. Or JDL turbo. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 10:07 a.m.
DWNSHFT said:

Typical Dealer add-on of a "euro" style rear valance, coupled with the stupid plate between the taillights (that forces the license plate to the rear bumper which just looks cheesy, IMO).

A 944 Turbo rear valance looks better (and actually works)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wtFe1pyaYrEjNCDg2Ynq9FT2TQGjd86PL294D8VcF0lustmymJ9JFo8kFUPrroFc