1 2 3 4
N52B30
N52B30 New Reader
2/5/21 12:42 p.m.

Are 2 stroke engines allowed in many racing classes? Part of the two liter 6 idea is to keep it within a somewhat universal paramater. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/5/21 2:06 p.m.

Many race series say Automotive 4 stroke or Rotary as a limit.  I don't think NASA/SCCA Time trials cares.  NASA ST W2W I don't believe cares.  Not sure about things like Pikes Peak.  SCCA Autox you would have to run AMod.   Street use should be ok as would lapping with most HPDE organizations.  And the important events, The GRM Challenge/UTCC are like the Honey Badger and he doesn't care about anything.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
2/5/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to N52B30 :

Only transverse inline 8 I am aware of that had a central power takeoff was the Bugatti 251. It was a dismal failure, but never had a chance of success for reasons other than engine design.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/21 3:19 p.m.

I have a friend that is putting a 1000cc snowmobile engine into a belly tank racer for land speed attempts.

I really wish he was more computer savvy qas he'd fit right in here. I posted some pics of his 300zx powered 1969 Datsun 1600 here before.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
2/6/21 4:20 p.m.
preach (fs) said:

I have a friend that is putting a 1000cc snowmobile engine into a belly tank racer for land speed attempts.

I really wish he was more computer savvy qas he'd fit right in here. I posted some pics of his 300zx powered 1969 Datsun 1600 here before.

that does sound very GRM

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/6/21 4:26 p.m.

The new Jet Ski is 1.5l and 310 HP. How much torque? Only 69.6mm stroke, but with 16.8 psi of boost from a blower, it should do okay.

N52B30
N52B30 New Reader
2/8/21 2:01 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, that's another part of what sparked my interest in reviving this thread. That Kawi, plus a couple other PWCs have been released in the last decade that are so much more power dense, reliable and possibly more race class friendly than the 2 stroke triples that seemed to dominate 10 years ago. Only problem is that these amazing new PWC engines are still pretty expensive (for us average guys). Still would be cheaper to adapt one for automotive use than to build a brand new engine like I posited.

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
2/10/21 10:28 a.m.

Recently acquired this bag of adrenaline:

If they did not hold their value so well, they would be the perfect starting point for this kind of thing. Surprised how well it corners while still being plush on big hits. 110 ish horse 998cc, 5 speed sequential with reverse, lots of upgrade potential. 
Jcamper

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
2/10/21 11:25 a.m.

https://youtu.be/sjxiHLZdSGw

Allan builds all sorts of Frankenstein Motorbike engines on his Youtube channel

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AOIebvUQtLaQ9fqd5N8zRvwsBn2KOGSY5ldUhG6flPriWQG4KHNJvKdvvmQRc5P1