1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/23 12:20 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

I don't know what it looked like on tv but in person the Clash was the most fun I've had at a NASCAR race in 30 years. So many people  complained they wanted more short tracks like local Saturday night races and they really nailed it. The entertainment wasn't my thing but the racing went well. They only thing I would have changed was that they tended to throw caution flags a bit prematurely. 

I am a little disappointed they didn't go with all NASCAR drivers for the Garage 56 line up. If the point is to get recognition for your people why get drivers from elsewhere?  

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
2/19/23 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

It IS endurance racing, after all.  Not a lot of NASCAR drivers are used to racing around the clock and all that entails.  Especially dealing with classes of cars that are MUCH faster in a straight line, brake MUCH better, and get through a turn faster as well.  Most of them have only had to deal with cars that are incrementally faster, under well lit conditions.

I could see how the FIA and ACO would want drivers with a certain pedigree for endurance racing as well. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/23 3:14 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

There are a number of recently retired drivers with experience at Daytona and Sebring. The FIA has some amusing ideas on licensing but that's a rant for another time. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
2/23/23 8:09 a.m.

Specs for the car were revealed recently. The highlights are less weight, more tire, more aero, and more fuel.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_fit,f_auto,g_center,pg_1,q_60,w_1315/6c3e959a053adacf6f9e97b6d8ee470f.png

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/23 9:54 a.m.

stafford1500 knows spoilers better than I do.  plus, other #reasons... I've generally kept this opinion to myself.

butt

it feels "taped on" that they're limiting the rear VortexGenerator panels to stop at the top of the rear quarter panels.  Instead of bringing them up to match the trunk spoiler there, gaining a bunch of area and then not having to run an extra 2" of spoiler height.

I reckon there's a possibility there's beneficial interaction between the VG that comes off those rear flaps that possibly benefits evacuation of the rear diffuser.  but, it ends up looking like they haven't done a comprehensive analysis of available configurations (see some of the things autox cars have been doing with spoilers, including the pink panther).

I wonder if the real reason they're doing that is "not dilute" the "NASCAR DNA" and "stock cars have spoilers" look.

Either way, it ends up being a "nails on chalkboard" thing for my aero-brain, without better information.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
2/23/23 10:34 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I'm not an aero guy, so maybe more educated voices will chime in, but it looks to me like there's a clear vertical element that runs down the rear window toward the rear decklid spoiler. So air over the roof gets directed down to the rear spoiler, and air that runs down the side of the car gets directed over the vortex generators but there's very little mixing of the two?

By connecting the VG to the rear spoiler, I wonder if that laminar air flow would be disrupted and drag increased?

Garage 56 Le Mans Chevy Camaro ZL1

Garage 56 Le Mans Chevy Camaro ZL1

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bw20WxPHcjMIzZxycsHjBN1oAZSuX6BofUBwUhZoiSrghx6vQob7R5ZDY0xF2bi2