1 2 3 4 ... 6
Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
3/5/12 4:52 p.m.
cwh wrote: Wonder what that transmission was. Very whiny for a regular one. Straight cut gears?

I wonder if it's an old Jerico/Brinn/Tex Racing/etc....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/12 4:52 p.m.

is it the trans.. or is he running straight cut timing gears too?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/12 6:43 p.m.

you sir, are winning.

and if i have anything left from my blazer stuff, let me know if you need anything. i might have some stuff.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
3/5/12 8:24 p.m.

That's really sad to see that thing crash, but man that thing was sweet.

I must know more!

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/12/12 11:20 a.m.

Jimmy Guts

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/12/12 11:21 a.m.

Engine out and more to pull.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/12/12 11:33 a.m.

I am laying out the rollcage in Bendtech Pro and am going thru the dash. I have about 4 hours already in pulling the dash....and a ways to go. There is a waterline partway up the drivers door, and 10 pounds of mud on that side of the floor. It did some offroading in its former past.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/12/12 11:36 a.m.

So...... What's going under that hood?

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/12/12 11:38 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: So...... What's going under that hood?

Turbocharged 5.3l LS.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/12/12 11:39 a.m.
Gasoline wrote:
Turbocharged 5.3l LS.

YES.

I can't wait to see this thing!!!

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
3/12/12 11:44 a.m.

What tranny will you use that can handle that? Even the Stock auto that they put behind 5.3's can't handle it... Can't wait to see this in Sept!

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/12/12 11:58 a.m.
AutoXR wrote: What tranny will you use that can handle that? Even the Stock auto that they put behind 5.3's can't handle it... Can't wait to see this in Sept!

I traded a set of rally wheels for a Muncie M-21, 4 speed, and wonder how much abuse it could take? That would be fun. I would have to swap out the output shaft to a 27 spline BOP shaft.

Bump shifting a 4L80e would be cool if it could be done to a budget.......doubtful.

In reality, I am leaning toward the simple, strong, automatic Powerglide. That should be ok. It is also 27 spline output which works with the 27 spline female BW4472 transfer case. I will have to make and adapter to bolt the transfer case to the transmission.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/12/12 12:05 p.m.
Gasoline wrote:
Turbocharged 5.3l LS.

FTW

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/12/12 6:23 p.m.

I'm digging this little guy. He's not a Typhoon or Syclone, but fits. Anybody screen t-shirts?

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
3/13/12 7:27 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: your mission, to match this awesomeness (not a challenge car, but I have seen it run up a hill in person. in a word.. awesome)
First the XJR and now this . . . OMG Look at the amount of tire on that thing!!!

i stopped by a hillclimb at Mt Ascutney a few years ago while building the XJ-R and was utterly floored upon seeing that thing in the grid. it became my inspiration to finish it. nice guy but its sad to hear it wrecked.... i suppose that's hillclimbing for you?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury PowerDork
3/13/12 8:03 a.m.
ValuePack wrote: "You can't make a race car out of a pig, but you can make a damn fast pig!" -Butch King

say what?!?

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/13/12 9:37 a.m.

I'm thinking out loud. One of my big concerns is the rearend. It is the little standard 7.5". It is RPO code G80 and GT4 that translated to the instantly destructible gov-lock, 3.73 gears. I have looked under 100's of S10's, Blazer's, Sonoma's, etc., at the 3 Atlanta PullAParts for a big ZR2 8.5" rearend to no avail.

One of the things I really like about building a Jimmy/Blazer/S10 is the standard Chevy 5X4.75" wheel bolt pattern. That gives opportunity for many cheap wide wheel candidates.

I could get a 8.5" from a 1500 truck etc., but I lose the 5X4.75 pattern.

Any ideas?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/12 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

i have an idea. a good friend just got t-boned in his '01 sonoma ZQ8 V6/MT. apparently this combo was also equipped with the 8.5 rear that is probably a straight bolt-in to your jimmy. he's currently in the back-and-forth with the insurance company about salvage value, because i want to buy it from him and part it out. i'm in the detroit area.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
3/14/12 10:22 a.m.

Don't truck rear ends and blazer rear ends have different sway bar mounting locations?

AngryCorvair
3/14/12 11:05 a.m.

In reply to BoostedBrandon:

OK. so I'll throw in the truck swaybar and hardware. ;-)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/14/12 12:34 p.m.

We run a 7.5 rear in our lemons malibu behind a saginaw 4 speed and 350 TBI chevy (no smog w/ headers).

The rear holds up just fine. Get a better diff in it and you should be just fine. Don't do too many drag races with it (i know that is part of the competition) and it should hold up.

I have 6 16" cragar soft 8 wheels that are off of a G body that would work perfect for this. (they can be had for cheap!)

Rob R.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/15/12 8:12 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to Gasoline: i have an idea. a good friend just got t-boned in his '01 sonoma ZQ8 V6/MT. apparently this combo was also equipped with the 8.5 rear that is probably a straight bolt-in to your jimmy. he's currently in the back-and-forth with the insurance company about salvage value, because i want to buy it from him and part it out. i'm in the detroit area.

Thanks for the offer. That would be (is!) the perfect solution if Detroit was not a half a country away. It probably has disc brakes also If you get a chance look up the RPO code on the passenger door or in the glovebox. Looking for a GT4 (3.73 gears).

I am the worst at time management. As picky as I am I need to have to get the rearend sorted out right away.

So, Yesterday, I took the afternoon off from work and went by the PullAPart. I ended up bringing home a rearend from a 2001 Ford Explorer. It is a stout 8.8", 3.25" axle tubes, Traction Lock Posi, Same 2.5" leaf springs, 3.73 gears, 12" disc brakes, big 31 spline axles, for $65.00. It came with a plastic cover and I swapped it out for an aluminum one off a ex-Ga patrol Crown Vic. The wheel to wheel width looks perfect and the width of the spring perches looks close?

The downside to the axle: The pinion looks to be 2" off center toward the passenger side and the bolt pattern is 5X4.5". I want some big sticky tires, so I might have to hackoff and inboard the spring perches and frame rails to clear the tires.

I think this is going to work. I don't trust adapters and I have re-drilled axles and discs, before to a different pattern, and have a tool in the shop a friend had made for me. Works perfect every time.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/12 12:13 p.m.

Ford Explorer 8.8 with redrilled axles. Done. Discs, posi, good ratio selection, good width.

AngryCorvair
3/15/12 12:23 p.m.

to Gasoline and Curtis: yep, the Exploder diff is a well-known and robust solution.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
3/15/12 12:48 p.m.

FYI: Butch popped the engine in the Blazer after several years of what can only be described as beautiful abuse. He built a new, bigger, more powerful engine and should be back on the hills this season.

IIRC he's shooting for 600hp reliably.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCDibHkmk1f6YG7THQ2lTjJ4V2kjTbVcSDqHBezftMezySdIdt0aNxvHOsj23uk1