1 2 3 4 5 6
Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/21/12 7:41 a.m.

I was a little worried that it might be a 4.8l. Pulled the heads, cleaned the piston tops and have the dished pistons meaning 5.3l. The plastic roller lifter buckets are handy. I spun the motor over twice and they hold the roller lifters up and out of the way of pulling the camshaft and putting it back in. You don't have to pull the heads to swap cams.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/21/12 7:51 a.m.

Cylinder wall scar. Every block I have fooled with has some sort of wall issue. Usually deep in the bore. I don't know if it is caused by piston slap or ??? I'm just glad it is deep down and not toward the top. When power falls off, this will be the cylinder to compression check.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/21/12 7:51 a.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
5/21/12 8:07 a.m.

LS valve spring changing tool. Kinda neat, lets you change 2 at a time.

My block is pre 2004, which means that it takes 3 different size bolts to hold the head on. 2004 and up takes 2 sizes. Of course this vendor incorrectly mentions bolt length and what they fit and sends me the wrong bolts. Price is great, but bolts are wrong

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=1913&cat=7266755&page=1

This is wrong! We stock 2 different styles, the 2 bolt length (early) and the 3 bolt length (late). Normal applications were '97-'03 for the 2 bolt and '04+ for the 3 bolt but they can overlap so we suggest you check to make sure which you'll need before ordering.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/22/12 7:30 p.m.

Ford 8.8" from a E150 van I think? Don't really care, it was wide and came with big 12"+ disc brakes, 3.73 gears, posi, 31 spline axles....

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/22/12 7:32 p.m.

Wacked off the inner drum emergency brakes

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/22/12 7:33 p.m.

Checked the gears and added 1 more clutch per side.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/22/12 7:37 p.m.

Drilled the axles and discs for 4.75"X5 Chevy pattern. All looks good. Next step cut off the spring over perches, inboard them for the fat tires and weld them spring under. I will make some home made cal-tracs also.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/23/12 11:15 a.m.

such a cool build...keep the updates coming

sporqster
sporqster New Reader
5/23/12 12:17 p.m.

^^YEAH, what that guy said.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/12 12:32 p.m.

Just finally read the entire build thread. And I'll now echo all previous thoughts. Holy hell! Can't wait to see it in action.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 8:26 a.m.

Studs came in. The circled ones are shorter even though they appear the same length on the block.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/12 9:15 a.m.

Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but that's just too cool.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
5/27/12 12:21 p.m.

This looks great. Can't wait to hear the engine.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:18 p.m.

Picked up 2 Corvette intakes from 1 vendor at the Moultrie Swap-meet. That is a huge Swap-meet. I go but fail to see it all, there is just too much. Next time I am thinking about pulling a wagon. These intakes appear similar at first. Both without EGR ports, great.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:32 p.m.

Like turtles on their back. One has a curved bottom left and the right one is flat. This tells the one on the right is from a LS6 and is worth 4 times $$$ the one on the left. Even though it has a flat bottom it is supposed to flow better and worth more horsepower? To me that means I keep and run the intake on the left and sell off/Profit on the LS6 intake.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:39 p.m.

OK, Which intake looks better? The truck intake on the left will not win any beauty contests. I will use the Corvette type on the right. That presents a problem or two.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:49 p.m.

This is a normal front acessory layout for the Corvette intake. It places accessory's pretty wide and takes a special waterpump so the upper neck will clear the cable accuators on the right side of the throttle body.

This is another layout with the accessories even further left.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:54 p.m.

I actually like the narrow truck layout with the high alternator mount. Adding the Corvette type intake presents some problems. I have to beat the water pump fitting out of the way and hack off the idler pulley and move it.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:55 p.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:56 p.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 4:56 p.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 5:01 p.m.

Watertube is beaten right, idler pulley is chopped off and I am going to Handy Ace Hardware and buy a 6 inch hardened metric bolt and some washers and move the idler pulley to the top bolt that hold the bracket on the head.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 5:09 p.m.

Here is a problem you may run into. Not all brackets are the same. Notice the line-up of the power steering pump bolts at the bottom. I like the tall close fitting power steering pump from an Envoy, Trailblazer and envision it will fit in the Jimmy better….Silverado bracket is in the left and the Trailblazer bracket is on the right.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
5/27/12 5:12 p.m.

Getting close to plopping it in.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9axPjnBZ0SfBF8bzMdCge3OtjHadKpluudHJpmAC5tf4sPk8pD8nJ0VWwo717asB