Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
5/31/19 11:08 a.m.
feature_image

Join us Tuesday, June 4th! Are you near Palm Beach International Raceway, enjoy watching racing and want to come see us and our Project C5 Corvette Z06? Come on down, say hi and watch us race!

If you're not near us, then watch Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Presented by CRC Industries on the Grassroots Motorsports Facebook Page and YouTube Channel as we take a look …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/19 8:29 a.m.

Tonight!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/4/19 8:34 a.m.

And thank you, SCCA.

Jordan Rimpela
6/4/19 1:01 p.m.
NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/4/19 7:55 p.m.

I went. It was pretty lame so I left.  The Corvette and JG hitting his mark for a lap time was the highlight.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/19 8:54 p.m.

Why was it lame?  Were you driving?  It’s not too exciting to spectate a track day for very long. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/19 9:09 p.m.

Crap I would have gone and taken the Miata had I seen this before. 

Did you guys get any rain? Last time I went we got soaked but still had A couple of dry sessions. 

Jordan Rimpela
6/4/19 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Follow us on Facebook! I posted it there the past three days. :) 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/19 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

What’s facebook? 

Jordan Rimpela
6/4/19 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

In a word: Magic. In more than a word: A series of tubes. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/5/19 11:12 a.m.
Lof8 said:

Why was it lame?  Were you driving?  It’s not too exciting to spectate a track day for very long. 

Lame mostly because there were very few cars. Couple other C6 Vettes, couple water cooled Porsche, couple BMW's,  couple Camaro's, Couple Mustang's, a spinning triangle RX7 that sounded terrible, along with a few Miatas and Minis. As a businessman I wondered if the SCCA broke even on the track rental.

I was not driving. I've run my car there at track days with other groups and also test & tunes on the drag strip when it was Moroso and after the PBIR track changes. I've been to quite a few track days at various East coast tracks both as a driver and just spectating, so I wasn't expecting much. While there isn't a lot of excitement on a track when there isn't door to door racing I usually enjoy the pit walk checking out all kinds of cars. Yesterday, not so much. There were less than 10 spectators total and they were mostly wives & kids of drivers.

Couple pics of JG in the pit area and a pass on the front straight, then a pic of the only other car there I found interesting.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/GRM/20190604_182212_zpsdwcxtnx9.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/GRM/20190604_183501_zpsrdz63hod.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/GRM/20190604_182017_zpsmivcdkei.jpg.html][/URL]

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/5/19 2:31 p.m.

Nice meeting you John!

For a spectator, yeah, it probably wasn't the most exciting thing to witness. But for a driver... wow. We had access to two hours and 40 minutes of track time. Things were happening so fast that by the time you got out of the car and got toweled off it was time to load up again. Props to Florida Region SCCA for running a smooth event and providing an amazing value. I'll definitely be going back to one of these evening events.

The only thing that sucked was the internet signal. It wasn't good enough to broadcast, so we'll be doing to time trial talk tonight instead.

driverUX
driverUX New Reader
6/7/19 6:02 p.m.

This was my first Time Trial event. I was hoping this was going to be a series like the other Time Trial/Attack type events where they time you and get points and use transponders to tag each lap with your time. Unfortunately this is not it. I paid for a rental transponder and was told that the SCCA didn't send them enough transponders for the event. Also, they never timed us for the laps. What was the point of the transponder? who knows.

It was pretty disorganized. Maybe other regions and the national events are much better run, hell, maybe they even time the laps, but FL region sucked that night. the only nice thing was that there was open track and longer sessions. I pushed my tires hard that night for a personal best lap, and depended on the transponder for timing because my personal equipment wasn't working for me that night, including the Apex Pro, but in the end it wasn't worth it because they never used the transponders properly. 

I suggest running with another club that does this on the weekends or a National Event, that way you know they won't half ass it.  

JG Pasterjak
6/7/19 7:37 p.m.
driverUX said:

This was my first Time Trial event. I was hoping this was going to be a series like the other Time Trial/Attack type events where they time you and get points and use transponders to tag each lap with your time. Unfortunately this is not it. I paid for a rental transponder and was told that the SCCA didn't send them enough transponders for the event. Also, they never timed us for the laps. What was the point of the transponder? who knows.

It was pretty disorganized. Maybe other regions and the national events are much better run, hell, maybe they even time the laps, but FL region sucked that night. the only nice thing was that there was open track and longer sessions. I pushed my tires hard that night for a personal best lap, and depended on the transponder for timing because my personal equipment wasn't working for me that night, including the Apex Pro, but in the end it wasn't worth it because they never used the transponders properly. 

I suggest running with another club that does this on the weekends or a National Event, that way you know they won't half ass it.  

You know, I wasn't even checking the times. That's disappointing if they had a T&S fumble like that. I was getting times from my ApexPro so I wasn't really worrying about the event T&S. I'll do a little followup with Fla Region and see if they have a comment. 

Aside from that, I'd still say the event ran pretty smooth. The actual folks running the pits and race control seemed pretty on top of things. Bummed to hear of a big miss like this.

JG Pasterjak
6/7/19 7:39 p.m.

In reply to driverUX :

PS: You were pounding that thing. Car looked very composed out there.

How are you finding brake pad wear to be? We've heard from a lot of folks that the e-diff brake intervention causes a lot of premature brake wear on track. You seeing anything like that?

driverUX
driverUX New Reader
6/8/19 9:21 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I'm really frustrated because I really want this series in this region to succeed so we can see more of them down here. As far as I know, NASA is the only other TT series that is down here in S. Florida and honestly I don't feel like traveling out of state nor do I have the schedule to participate in GTA or Gridlife at the moment. I really like the FL region SCCA group and support them by participating in their TE events on their race days when I can. I really do hope they can fix this in the future. A lot of my frustration comes from 3 different forms of data not cooperating that night to capture my lap times. 

driverUX
driverUX New Reader
6/8/19 9:40 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

In reply to driverUX :

PS: You were pounding that thing. Car looked very composed out there.

How are you finding brake pad wear to be? We've heard from a lot of folks that the e-diff brake intervention causes a lot of premature brake wear on track. You seeing anything like that?

Thanks! I had just put in a new triple pass radiator and needed to test it. PBIR normally puts me in limp mode every session if I don't take any cool down laps in between laps. The longer sessions and no limp mode, proved that it had done it's job. 

I have no real complaints with brake pad wear on the OEM pads. Although I'm on my third set of front pads, I consider it reasonable for the amount of miles and abuse I've been giving them (39k miles with track and autocross duty). Maybe I consider them consumables too literally?

I do know that the last time I was at PBIR, a friend had a thermometer gun and showed me that rears were hotter than the front due to not fully turning off Traction Control. Maybe that's why other people are seeing more wear than they'd like? I find more issues with the car's brake intervening during autocross than pad wear, if anything. Any action that could resemble to a quick stab at the brakes and it kicks in hard. Other than that, I think the wear is fine for these type of consumables, in my opinion.

chrisflint
chrisflint New Reader
6/11/19 11:27 p.m.
NOT A TA said:
Couple pics of JG in the pit area and a pass on the front straight, then a pic of the only other car there I found interesting.

[/URL]

Thanks - I'm glad you thought my car was interesting! laugh   Completely agree with your assessment.  Combining the run groups also was disappointing and meant more traffic in the run group.

chrisflint
chrisflint New Reader
6/11/19 11:34 p.m.

In reply to driverUX :

I caught an incredible save you made yes coming out of Turn 8  https://youtu.be/uuzKCva2ohE?t=152

Completely agree - I've emailed the organizers and crickets so far.  I attended the prior rained out / canceled event in May, I was told the transponders would be complimentary as a thank you for coming to a make up event (I paid for the first rental, for the cancelled event) but this didn't happen either & we didn't get any timing.  I thought this also was going to be a points / trophy series - seems like its advertised that way at earlier in the year and now nationwide, while this FL event I was told won't be back until September - maybe - by one of the organizers.  I normally do track days with Chin and PBOC, so this event had lots of potential to improve.

driverUX
driverUX New Reader
6/13/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to chrisflint :

Haha! I'm glad you caught and shared that moment. Needless to say, it was at that point I realized that my PS4S were toast and blistered. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4ZH1Kb2grCNGPGOlohEc6QVT7FxaTS98qW90MxUpuPBhz5hVb666SqlBxJmOAL9