1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/23/14 6:57 a.m.

For today's edition of junk it or fix it, I bring you the family truckster - a 2004 Honda Odyssey. If you know anything about them, they're great, except for the somewhat key component of the transmission. Recently, ours has started slipping on the 2-3 upshift. If the internet is to be believed (and, I realize that's a big if), total transmission failure is both imminent and unavoidable. It looks like a really good price on a new trans is about 3,500 and average is over 4K. The vehicle itself is in decent shape and has approximately 105K on it. The kicker is, the van itself is probably worth less than cost of fixing it. The flip side is, because I won't pimp someone else with a car with a failing trans, if I don't fix it, is probably worth scrap value only. Budget-wise, we could probably replace it with a decent used car, but had hoped to wring another 4 or 5 years out of it. FWIW - fixing it myself is beyond the limits both of my shop and mechanical abilities.

So what sayeth the hive?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/23/14 7:23 a.m.

I say take it to the best local trans shop and get a pro opinion on the issue. Internet great for ideas, bad for specific diagnostics. Especiallyin a case like this. WWithout eyes on, you're taking a guess.

So take it to the man and see whathe says Then ma the decision.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/23/14 7:42 a.m.

6 speed manual swap?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/23/14 7:52 a.m.

Sell it on craigslist. Use the phrase "the transmission will probably fail very soon. It drives fine now, though." Pocket $2-3k and buy another van on craigslist, one that has just had the transmission done. Should cost $3-4k.

All it takes is one person with hope and that van is sold.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/14 8:05 a.m.

I owned a 2004 Odyssey for 9 years and 188k miles. A couple engine mounts and routine maintenance were all it ever needed. I miss it.

Think about it like this: if it is indeed in the midst of trans failure... What else can you get for 3500 that will be as good?

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/23/14 8:15 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I say take it to the best local trans shop and get a pro opinion on the issue. Internet great for ideas, bad for specific diagnostics. Especiallyin a case like this. WWithout eyes on, you're taking a guess. So take it to the man and see whathe says Then ma the decision.

That's definitely on the "to do" list, but on the fundamental question of "fix it or junk it", I always assume the shop has a vested interest in the "fix it" option.

Tom - clearly I could work this in such a way that it becomes someone else's "lawn ornament", if, in fact, imminent trans destruction is as inevitable as the interwebz proport. While the craigslist shopper's eternal hope of "Cuzin Bubba culd fix it, den it'd be sweet" is tempting from a financial perspective, I think I'd rather take the hit than foist it on someone who probably can't afford the risk they're taking. I suspect I could probably get a grand or so from a "pick and pull" since the engine, major body panels and interior are in decent shape, so I'd probably go there in the event we decide to "junk it". BTW- have you ever thought about a career on Wall Street?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/14 8:18 a.m.

Yeah, Acura tlx tsx rdx whatever swap it.

Or sell it to me and I will Acura swap it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/23/14 8:18 a.m.

Heh, no I haven't. I have been that hopeful idiot on craigslist many times, though.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/23/14 8:38 a.m.

I was looking at a 98 accord (same issue) and decided that it wasn't worth the effort. However, it had almost 200k miles and a few other things that needed attention. In your car, I would totally fix it. It is low miles and you said everything else is good. Save the old gal. I will hop in line for it if you decide to dump it though.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
11/23/14 8:54 a.m.

I don't know Honda transmissions , but would a later model fit?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/4745232943.html

wae
wae HalfDork
11/23/14 9:05 a.m.

I had an 03 which is basically the same, although the 04 trans was supposed to be somewhat better. What I found out from one of the more established and trusted trans shops here was that a used one was just another time bomb and a rebuild of mine was typically good for about 20k. Maybe I'm just jaded because of that experience but I would be looking for an exit strategy.

When mine started with the same behavior that you're taking about (the second time, I might add), I put in new Honda ATF - made with only the freshest real unicorn tears, based on the price - and a bottle of Lucas stop slip. If I was super super ginger with it at first, by the time it was up to op temp you couldn't really tell.

I only did that long enough to get it traded in, though, so I'm not sure how many miles that would buy you.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/23/14 9:05 a.m.

I have a Saturn Vue with a 4cyl manual but beginning in '04 the Saturn Vue was offered with the same Honda 3.5L engine and trans as you have in yours.
When on the Saturn forums, I read often of these V6 owners talking of the triple trans fluid changes (never a flush.)
The reason for triple is that the drained case still retains 50% of the fluid.
1st drain/fill = 50% clean fluid
2nd drain/fill = 75% clean fluid
3rd drain/fill = 90% clean fluid
Must be the real Honda, synthetic fluid.

Once you have completed the triple then they call for single drain/fill every 25k miles.

A quick search brings up this sample from the Saturn boards:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175043

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/23/14 9:14 a.m.

As much as I hate the idea of putting more into something than it could be sold for, at 105k that thing is still a baby. If you like it, it's in otherwise decent shape, and it serves your needs, $4k for another 100k miles isn't too bad. If you like the van ans will keep it, I say repair.

Also, if you would like the next one to last longer, at a minimum add a trans cooler.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/23/14 9:27 a.m.

How can Honda, Saturn, Ford (Taurus etc.) put out such junk transmissions?

I've ranted about this several times before but it still irks me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
11/23/14 9:37 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: How can Honda, Saturn, Ford (Taurus etc.) put out such junk transmissions? I've ranted about this several times before but it still irks me.

Every manufacturer has a few "goose eggs" in their transmission lines, right along with every other component. I can't tell you how many GM 700/4L60/440T4/4T60's, Ford E4OD/AOD/AXOD's, Chrysler FWD variants, etc, I have had to fix over the years.

I still like the 6spd manual swap idea...

Gunslinger
Gunslinger
11/23/14 12:39 p.m.

New to the forum but lurked for years. I had a 98 accord. Same transmission issues. I bought a used trans for 1500. And did the above triple flush before driving it. I put 90,0000 on that trans. The trick to any longevity with this transmission is never drive it without at least a 10 min warm up. And flush every 30k

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/23/14 12:47 p.m.
Gunslinger wrote: The trick to any longevity with this transmission is never drive it without at least a 10 min warm up.

Every time you drive you have to let it idle for 10 minutes? That isn't happening...

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/14 12:49 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: The vehicle itself is in decent shape and has approximately 105K on it. The kicker is, the van itself is probably worth less than cost of fixing it.

Really? Around here, '04 Odysseys seem to be $6-8K

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
11/23/14 12:56 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Sell it on craigslist. Use the phrase "the transmission will probably fail very soon. It drives fine now, though." Pocket $2-3k and buy another van on craigslist, one that has just had the transmission done. Should cost $3-4k. All it takes is one person with hope and that van is sold.

I would do this. I don't see any reason to scrap a car out of trying to be polite, often someone would actually want it even if you think they wouldn't.

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
11/23/14 12:58 p.m.
singleslammer wrote:
Gunslinger wrote: The trick to any longevity with this transmission is never drive it without at least a 10 min warm up.
Every time you drive you have to let it idle for 10 minutes? That isn't happening...

Sorry wasnt clear. Only if the car sat for long periods. So before and after work. Running errands and stuff. No worries.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/23/14 1:21 p.m.

Make sure there isn't an extended warranty/recall on the box. I had a friend who bought one of similar vintage, the gearbox piled up, and Honda gave him a new one free, since it was built in the correct time period.

The guy that told you the rebuild would only last 20k doesn't know how to fix transmissions. All-o-matic down the street from me does lots. They aren't cheap, but they are fixed.

Edit- Never mind. It was 2000/01 covered.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/23/14 1:44 p.m.

I'll give you $100 for it right now. Will it drive to GR?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
11/23/14 1:55 p.m.

I recently replaced the transmission on my brothers 2003 odyssey with a rebuilt Jasper unit. The transmission was $2400 which included a generic cooler and a 100,000 mile warranty. It's not a pleasant job even on a lift.

+9 liters of DW1 +6 hours of labor

wae
wae HalfDork
11/23/14 2:01 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The guy that told you the rebuild would only last 20k doesn't know how to fix transmissions.

I don't really know anything about slush boxes and how they work, other than some sort of dark magic. But I had two different shops (neither of which did the original rebuild for me) and four or five other Odyssey owners tell me that I could consider myself lucky that I got a whole 20k miles out of a rebuild. It may be that there are just a ton of trans shops out there that are no good, but Ridge is supposed to be one of the best in town and they advised me against spending another $3k+ on rebuild #2.

Of course there are still some out there that are getting a couple hidden thousand out of the original trans, so maybe you'll get another 140k out of a fresh set of internals. That's not a bet I'd be willing to take, personally.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/23/14 2:25 p.m.
codrus wrote:
kazoospec wrote: The vehicle itself is in decent shape and has approximately 105K on it. The kicker is, the van itself is probably worth less than cost of fixing it.
Really? Around here, '04 Odysseys seem to be $6-8K

KBB and a quick looks at the list of craigs both say 3.5 to 4K. I suppose if it had a new trans, maybe an additional $500 for the low miles. You've got to remember, its been in Michigan for 10 years.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DWOLca5n0GZAs5ml8xxDJlBm2OslHFLAzh8oJVS0OMse2zArMxyHJBNCZAZnC8M9