1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/20/19 1:49 p.m.
feature_image

It looks like the Hyundai Veloster N TCR but inside is a bit different: Instead of the typical front-engine, front-drive layout, this new RM19 Racing Midship Sports Car features a mid-engine arrangement along with rear-wheel drive. 

The RM19 is powered by an unrestricted version of the engine found in the brand’s TCR car. Output is said to be about 390 …

Read the rest of the story

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/20/19 1:58 p.m.

The rebirth of the Renault Clio Cup car, except with less kill you.  Cool!

I'd rock one, as a post-Powerball track toy.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/20/19 2:02 p.m.

I think I missed something.  What did they announce?  That they have a testbed car like this?

Its not a car anyone can buy and its not setup to participate in any race series, right?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/19 2:08 p.m.

Hawt

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/20/19 2:16 p.m.

I'm curious if we'll see a street-going version. Seems unlikely, but then again, we got dumb stuff like the Juke R and and the AMG G63 6x6, so there could be a chance. Either that, or maybe some insane soul will somehow put one on the street like that guy with the Saleen SR Widebody.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/20/19 2:22 p.m.

What did they announce?  That they have a testbed car like this?

Its not a car anyone can buy and its not setup to participate in any race series, right?

The way the release is worded makes it seem like the main point of talking about this car is to convince current and prospective Hyundai/N buyers that there are big things in the works specifically for street cars.  Which makes sense, because if you showed me this car and didn't explicitly convince me it was relevant to a street car I would immediately lose interest. 

_
_ Dork
11/20/19 2:23 p.m.

I'd drive it to work every morning. For less than 55k. And it better have that warranty. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/20/19 2:27 p.m.

Featuring the most powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected engine of its kind, with an output of 390 horsepower, 

I think I squeeked a little

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/20/19 3:06 p.m.
Duke said:

The rebirth of the Renault Clio Cup car, except with less kill you.  Cool!

I'd rock one, as a post-Powerball track toy.

See also: Renault R5 Turbo. smiley

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/20/19 3:10 p.m.

Love it, but what racing series is it eligible to run in?

It seems like a press release saying they built a cool car you cannot buy and they cannot race, which makes it a bit hard to be too excited about it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/20/19 3:16 p.m.
Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/20/19 3:20 p.m.

Pretty sweet! So is this green lit for production for Homologation purposes, or is it purely a concept?

GIRTHQUAKE said:

Featuring the most powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected engine of its kind, with an output of 390 horsepower, 

I think I squeeked a little

The euro-spec AMG CLA45 S makes 415hp. It does beat the regular CLA45 with a "measly" 382hp.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/19 4:31 p.m.

Given Hyundai and Kia's recent push into awesomeness, I could see this as a little version of the GT-R.  Honda and Toyota need to keep an eye on things.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/20/19 5:21 p.m.

Hard top, mid engine RWD? They could cut the power in half for the street and I'll buy a new one the second year they produce them. Edit: but only with a three pedal manual transmission.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/20/19 5:42 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Something something C8.  In other words, this has to be $45 or $50k or what's the point?

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/20/19 5:56 p.m.

Oh helllllllll yes

BullManUGA
BullManUGA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/20/19 7:58 p.m.

It's a Gran Turismo Sport Group 3 car come to life.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/19 8:03 p.m.

huh looks good as a 2 door. I cant tell if they are using the big drivers side doors or the smaller passenger side doors

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 8:08 p.m.
There’s something in the water at Hyundai. I dig it. 
MrChaos
11/20/19 8:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
There’s something in the water at Hyundai. I dig it. 

I dug it so hard, there is now one in the driveway

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
11/20/19 8:54 p.m.

How much longer do we have to wait for Hyundai to start developing a Miata fighter?

The N-cars are really good, the stinger and g70, and now this mid-engined test bed.  It's all very good.

MrChaos
11/20/19 8:57 p.m.
Nitroracer said:

How much longer do we have to wait for Hyundai to start developing a Miata fighter?

The N-cars are really good, the stinger and g70, and now this mid-engined test bed.  It's all very good.

i mean they had the gen coupe.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/21/19 12:21 a.m.

Until it makes sense?? Don't hold your breath...

Dootz
Dootz Reader
11/21/19 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Nitroracer :

I was so disappointed when I found out this was just an April Fool's joke by Hyundai. Would be perfect with their 1.6T + DCT combo:

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/19 6:51 a.m.
NickD said:

I'm curious if we'll see a street-going version. Seems unlikely, but then again, we got dumb stuff like the Juke R and and the AMG G63 6x6, so there could be a chance. Either that, or maybe some insane soul will somehow put one on the street like that guy with the Saleen SR Widebody.

There are spy photos of a wingless version from a few years ago trotting around the nurburgring and the town around it. They have been testing a mid engine car for years. I think this is just a look at what they have accomplished over that time since the press keeps speculating that its definitely going to happen.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uruyz0KI7k8pYlqLFE5rE1yxJ3MeXmZk1uAp8WfK6bIsXcsIL3O9GxvfxV2fqVWC