1 2
stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
9/30/10 7:29 p.m.

still need to get full specs from owner , but it's a 91 rs with a 350 and a 5spd.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/30/10 7:52 p.m.

welcome to the fold...

Mine was always carbureted, though ;).

What are your plans with it?!

Clem

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/10 7:58 p.m.

looks rough.. how much? I always liked the 3rd gen

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/30/10 8:56 p.m.

Flat black fixes everything.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
9/30/10 9:08 p.m.

we traded , he gave me the car and $300 for my 88 f150

it's a little rough because it was his project car , i want to clean it up and make it clean and neat and semi fast , the motor supposedly dynoed at 385hp...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/30/10 10:14 p.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: fast , the motor supposedly dynoed at 385hp...

I suppose that would be awesome if true!

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
10/1/10 5:32 a.m.

here is my $500 beater.. it's an 86 with an auto trans, factory non AC heater, and black interior. unfortunately, it also has t tops. it's my daily driver right now- it handles pretty good and gets 26mpg..

here is my special tail light mod..

and here is what is hopefully going under the hood this winter. in it's former life, it was powering a 94 Caprice cop car.. i'm trying to find a good junkyard manual trans that won't blow up to put behind it..

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
10/1/10 7:37 a.m.

Did it come with the "tach" or did you add that mod?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/1/10 7:45 a.m.

A 3rd gen without authentic bullet holes screams poseur.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
10/1/10 8:59 a.m.

Murderer's car.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 9:00 a.m.

I was going to say that thing looks hammered, but that's pretty clean for a 3rd Gen! Lots of potential there.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/1/10 9:03 a.m.

I kinda want one of these as a track slut. American bosozoku if you will.

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
10/1/10 11:15 a.m.

Welcome to the fold man. Despite the paint condition it actually looks to be in good shape. Hows the rust situation? Mine was hiding a ton of rust under the carpets on the floorpan and near the firewall. I also had rust over the rear wheel housings. It's been good practice for my welding skills. I've slowed down on my project, but seeing this has made me want to start it back up again. Oh and I hope that T5 can stand all the torque if that 350 is actually putting out what he stated.

Here's a shot of my ride after purchase.

And as it sits now.

Links to the full albums are here.

After Purchase

Ongoing Work

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
10/1/10 11:38 a.m.

the car came with all that you see there , it's growing on me to be honest.the few rust spots are on the hood... no other rust that i have seen so far. i'm not too sure i like this carbed motor, i have a 350ci tpi at the shop...

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/1/10 12:05 p.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: the car came with all that you see there , it's growing on me to be honest.the few rust spots are on the hood... no other rust that i have seen so far. i'm not too sure i like this carbed motor, i have a 350ci tpi at the shop...

If you don't like the carb, chances are that it sucks, not carbs. I am not an expert. Find one, or a dragstrip and a book. You can make them very nice with a little work.

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
10/1/10 2:00 p.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: the car came with all that you see there , it's growing on me to be honest.the few rust spots are on the hood... no other rust that i have seen so far. i'm not too sure i like this carbed motor, i have a 350ci tpi at the shop...

if the carbed motor is built beyond stock in any way, the TPI motor would be a major step backwards.

the TPI setup runs out of steam at about 5000 rpm on a stock motor- right when the motor is hitting it's stride. i don't know what the hell Chevy was thinking when they designed that intake setup, but people have adapted 94-96 LT1 intakes to their TPI motors and given them an easy injection of about 50hp with no real loss of torque..

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
10/1/10 10:29 p.m.

I'd leave it all as is - except insert something without about 500hp under the hood

stroker
stroker Reader
10/2/10 9:01 a.m.

I've always liked the 3rd Gen best. Maybe one of these days...

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
10/2/10 9:20 a.m.

Want another one. The one in my garage is available.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
10/2/10 10:02 a.m.

for free? lol .

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
10/2/10 10:54 a.m.

In reply to stealthfighter1:

Um...no. $500 as is, or, When I have time, I'm going to pull the engine and part out/ scrap the rest.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/10 1:47 p.m.

Hmm, a 91 RS with 5speed just popped up on CL for $750 needing a headgasket...

EDIT: it's a 305, not interested anymore

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
10/2/10 2:45 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Hmm, a 91 RS with 5speed just popped up on CL for $750 needing a headgasket... EDIT: it's a 305, not interested anymore

the biggest engine you could get with the 5 speed was the 305.. even the gutless 350's of the day were too much for the T5 and the warranty people put a stop to it. people have swapped real motors in front of a T5 and had the transmission live, and a 350 is a direct bolt in swap...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/10 2:52 p.m.

And that's why 5 speeds are so rare. The T5 was only rated for 300ft-lb, so the largest engine it was ever put behind was 5 liters. Want a 5.7, you get an automatic. Most people wanted 350ci...

Of course, what trans do I need? A Chevy T5 with V8 gearing...

EVERY 3rd-gen I have seen that wasn't a garage queen, and some that were, has severe rot problems where the rear control arms meet the body. Check that area thoroughly. I'm seeing it more and more on 4th-gen as well.

Now that the pics loaded... THAT CARB IS GARBAGE. Sell it to some unsuspecting shmuck and get a 4160 style carb. Preferably a Quick Fuel, but those are just a little pricey. (But my oh my, do they WORK)

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
10/2/10 9:11 p.m.

what kinda carb is it anyway?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0k8r2Ii31za9JS9WdNwAaMmMWYsc0BbSy27UgJWii8mn50bTbkIAV0dbDuSejJtp