1 2
Brust
Brust Reader
6/1/09 8:39 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I like both the videos. Anything that stops the crushing pain of modern life for a few minutes gets a big thumbs up from me generally.

What'd you just have a kid or something?

ps: Please nominate yourself for forum quote of the month.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
6/1/09 9:23 p.m.

Shouldn't that trailer be on jackstands instead of piles of cinder blocks?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/1/09 9:23 p.m.

If you liked that one you'll love this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z74G92ceG64&feature=related

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
6/1/09 9:46 p.m.

Still better than 95% of Speed's programing.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/1/09 10:07 p.m.

I liked it. Two thumbs up for random car jackassery.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/1/09 10:13 p.m.

It was a work of art The high-speed camera slowmo's were beautiful This time he was a bit on the daredevil side. Don't know if I liked that part, but that artistic aspect was great

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
6/2/09 8:22 a.m.

Ken Block vs Ghost Rider STI Driver Dude...that'd be a good match up.

Like before, I still have mixed feeling about a shoe salesman getting so much attention for essentially ...i dunno where I was going with that.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
6/2/09 8:34 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Like before, I still have mixed feeling about a shoe salesman getting so much attention for essentially being the most awesome guy EVAR!

Fixed that for you.

I'm already a confirmed fanboi of Mr. Block, so I won't bother repeating it. I hope we're all successful enough at our chosen careers that we can move to an advisory capacity at age 40-ish, and fill the hours of our retirement with Motorsport-related tomfoolery.

I thought the video itself was as awesome, I like that the single painted spoke on white wheels—it helps to see differences in wheel speed.

zoomx2
zoomx2 New Reader
6/2/09 8:41 a.m.

I liked it. I also think Ken is doing great as an ambassador for rallying. He has real passion. Sure he has too much money and there are better drivers out there, but anything that shows kids there's more to sport compacts than riced out Hondas and street racing is ok with me.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/2/09 8:45 a.m.

Who is this Ken Block fellow, and where is this video of which you all speak? Could someone please post it in another thread?

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
6/2/09 9:06 a.m.

Hey everybody, look how good I am. Even more pathetic than the first one.

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
6/2/09 10:37 a.m.

Some of you guys would complain about the color of Cindy Crawford's dress while she was priming your pump. Seriously, it's a car being flogged mercilessly and you don't have to pay to watch.

Having said that, the first one was better

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/2/09 10:48 a.m.

Now that's what I call representing for your sponsor.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson New Reader
6/2/09 11:32 a.m.

Come on guys, that kicked ass. I don't care how many takes it took. He's a guys who’s done really well for himself, helped a lot of athletes and is now enjoying the fruits of his labor. He can drive, so what if it took 50 takes or more. Do we complain when the stunts in movies weren't all shot real time in a single take? No, it's entertainment.

He's
.a) having fun
b) getting paid for it (or getting to write it off as an expense)
c) promoting cars and rallying.

Good for him. It rocks.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/2/09 11:40 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: He can drive, so what if it took 50 takes or more. Do we complain when the stunts in movies weren't all shot real time in a single take? No, it's entertainment.

Movies are supposed to be not real, and we know there are stunt drivers and that it often takes numerous takes to move the story along.

Ken's videos tend to be saying "look how good I am." And sorry, but any of us who have a modicum of car control or autocross skills can repeatedly try a stunt and only show the one time that we didn't hit that solid object, and say "look how good I am."

After seeing how much body damage was done not missing solid objects during takes for the last one, I'm simply not as impressed with his driving as I might have been.

Yeah, he's having fun, and yeah, I'd love to have some fun like that (and not have to worry about the cost of repairing my mistakes). but color me unimpressed with the final product and message thereof.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
6/2/09 11:56 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: And sorry, but any of us who have a modicum of car control or autocross skills can repeatedly try a stunt and only show the one time that we didn't hit that solid object, and say "look how good I am."

I couldn't, not yet. Maybe after hundreds of hours of practice I could, but not today. And that seems to be the problem for some people, they can't accept the fact that others do have the time and money to put in the hours of practice to get that good.

Shrug, I still say good for him for having fun, doing something entertaining to himself and millions of others. Go for it.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/2/09 12:38 p.m.

OH NOES! We're all going to die of mercury poisoning!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/2/09 1:15 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Ken's videos tend to be saying "look how good I am."

I don't see that. It is like watching freestyle BMX, snowboarding, etc. It's just cool E36 M3 done with cool toys.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/09 1:45 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: OH NOES! We're all going to die of mercury poisoning!

plus eleventybillion

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
6/2/09 7:31 p.m.

People bitch and say that Leob is a better driver. Yes, he is. But Block has the marketing sense to film his tom foolery. Why else would he sell so many shoes? If any other WRC driver filmed something like this, they, too, would have uber fanbois.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/09 10:18 a.m.

Full Disclosure: I am in Marketing and Advertising. That said, the video is genius. How do I get a bunch of 20-something kids with the attention span of a gnat, hopped up on the Dew to sit still long enough to look at my product. Just showing a shirt or a shoe or a hat won't cut it. But what if I break something in slow-motion with my product? Aha! I can hear the "dude" and "cool" and "nice hat" from here.

Sure there were several takes, but imagine the balls it took to even plan those shots, let alone drive them. Most took a serious level of commitment wit no room for error. Serious skill on display there. And let's not beat around the bush, the Subaru was awesome!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vvAOXEyrJ92e2tLr7MwCtp4hK376rpDH1kK9Q39qr34kQmaVlI57i2ppNPTzKJsg