1 2 3
InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/24/10 4:40 p.m.

Edit- Scorpion

Due to a recent post about a 1976 model available over here (well the car is in New Mexico, but can be transported to Phx) I wanted to find out a bit more about these cars. I did some looking on the web, and I actually had a Fiat X1/9 as my first car. I just wanted to know more about the cars in general, are they good to turn into a race car/autocrosser? What is part expense like, ect?

Looks like the car is spoken for but here it is anyway-

I bought this project from Chuck Voboril. I did not finish it. The plan was to compete in DP. I paid Chuck $3500 and then invested a few more grand into it. I did not know there was no title when I paid for it. I have no information on the title other than Chuck thought he could get it and it never happened. Chuck bought it from an Arizonan and it had clear title at that time. Asking $500 for everything and $150 to deliver it all to Arizona. I have a complete spare head, spare transaxle, a complete turbo system, another carb, and 4 or 5 boxes full of parts. An internet savvy person could sell some of the parts and have the car for free. The car is basically gutted with no interior and very little in the way of factory wiring. I have all the parts that were removed. Ted Lewis flared the fenders for me and he and Chris Harrison did the top. Here is a picture of the car with the wheels that I have. The slicks in the lower picture don't exist anymore.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
9/24/10 5:13 p.m.

Windshield is around $1k, trim pieces are really really really rare, drivetrain stuff isnt too difficult. They are usually rusty, stock they are very slow, and they have less room inside than an x1/9. Other than that, I dont know much, but i think there are others here who do.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/10 5:29 p.m.

scorpions are cool (Montecarlo in Europe) the biggest issue is the sheer lack of parts. They only imported 1803 of them into the US. So there are not a lot atound. Just consider them a bigger and heavier X, but with no more power.

I would own another in a heartbeat

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/10 5:47 p.m.

That is a steal at $500. Title or none, with all the parts included, that is one HELL of a start to a kickass Challenge car.

Always wanted a Scorpion, myself. It is one of those cars that makes up for all its flaws by being totally awesome alone.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
9/24/10 5:48 p.m.

For $500 I'd be on that like a fat kid on cake.

Stock trim they are slow, sounds like this one was a turbo project which should up the fun level. With some creativity and skill you can mount the V6 and transaxle from and Alfa 164 for some real interest.

I personally felt it was roomier inside than and X (Ive had them both) but I did have it gutted with aftermarket race seats so YMMV.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
9/24/10 5:58 p.m.

I remember an article in CCC where a guy sorta snuck into a car museum, carefully measured an 037, and built himself one hell of a cool replica.

triumph5
triumph5 HalfDork
9/24/10 6:16 p.m.

Parts are a bit of a nightmare to find, but not impossible; they will be ex[ensive, though.

Think of it as a big x1/9 (relatively speaking) Look good, will turn lots of heads. You can so quickly out-spend its worth on parts alone, it'll make your check book explode.

I had one for a week, and the overall impression was one of poor quality. Engine/trans I can't speak of, but everything else felt cheap, and just this side of falling apart.

That said, it is a cool looking car; you'll probably never pass another one on the road, but, you will spend quite a bit of time and money building it...if you enjoy the maintenance more than the driving, and lots do, then, it's your car.

mad_machine
9/24/10 8:35 p.m.

I would definatly consider the 3.0 out of a 164 for the drivetrain in a scorp.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
9/24/10 8:57 p.m.

My dad had one when i was a kid. It was a screamer! He was going to turn it into a racecar, but gave up. From what i heard from my dad, its sitting somewhere in Oxnard CA, at a shop, but that was atleast 3 years ago. Would love to track it down and buy it back and finish it...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/10 9:02 p.m.

All I know is that looks incredibly awesome

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
9/24/10 9:08 p.m.

Unfortunate they were saddled with the Federal trim Beta engine. The car deserved more.

A friend bought one new... said it was the worst car he'd ever owned. He liked his X1/9 much better.

I've driven a couple of stock ones... pleasant but uninspiring. I've driven a couple of modifed ones... inspiring.

I can't think of a car that deserves an engine swap more. As mentioned, I think an Alfa 164 3.0 24v drivetrain slotted in would be the ticket...

This car looks like a steal.

Bill

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
9/25/10 12:44 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: That is a steal at $500. Title or none, with all the parts included, that is one HELL of a start to a kickass Challenge car.

You know next week I might be able to swing $500, but I would not be able to afford transport from AZ. That is a sexy car. I want it. I can't justify it though. Ack. I need more funds. Where is that winning lottery ticket again? Righ,t shopping list for tomorrow, buy Powerball ticket that'll fix everything, won't it?

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
9/25/10 1:04 a.m.
griffin729 wrote:
SlickDizzy wrote: That is a steal at $500. Title or none, with all the parts included, that is one HELL of a start to a kickass Challenge car.
You know next week I might be able to swing $500, but I would not be able to afford transport from AZ. That is a sexy car. I want it. I can't justify it though. Ack. I need more funds. Where is that winning lottery ticket again? Righ,t shopping list for tomorrow, buy Powerball ticket that'll fix everything, won't it?

x 1000! This working for a living thing is a drag, sometimes!!

mad_machine
9/25/10 3:47 a.m.

76 is the pretty year too.. in 77 they got saddled with extra windows in the "flying buttresses" behind the cabin. the 76 was as pininfarina designed it (aside from the big heavy american bumpers and pop up headlights)

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/25/10 5:40 a.m.

I spent a weekend driving one. It was a pleasant experience. People will stare at it and think it's a Ferrari or Lotus. It handles well, though not as quite as razor sharp as the X1/9. They are actually very close to the same size, though you'd expect it to be larger. I did not think the interior was any better/worse than that of the X. Quality of materials is mediocre; in other words, typical for Fiats of the period. Shifter is nowhere near as good as the X. It is a cool car, but you really need to be committed financially to make one nice. They have adequate power, but you'll lust for more the entire time you drive it. Volumex superchargers bolt on but are expensive. A turbo kit may be a better solution. The Alfa V6 would be perfect but it's far from a weekend project.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/25/10 6:07 a.m.

Well it is coming down to PHX at this point (not for me), one of our guys known for picking up cars and working on them for awhile then selling them has already spoken for it.

Interesting information on the car though, have never actually seen one in person.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/25/10 6:07 a.m.

Well it is coming down to PHX at this point (not for me), one of our guys known for picking up cars and working on them for awhile then selling them has already spoken for it.

Interesting information on the car though, have never actually seen one in person.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/25/10 7:55 a.m.

I saw one of these, about 12 or so years ago, here in Memphis. I must have been a "go only to the grocery store and back" car, as I saw it a few times outside a grocery and nowhere else.....then it "disappeared". It was a silver grey, and it looked like it hadn't been washed or polished since new.

They are interesting, but since I can't fit behind the wheel of an X1/9, it's pointless to worry about the cost of ownership. Besides, I'd rather have a rust-free 914 2 liter (and yeah, I realize 914s are rarely completely rust-free).

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
9/25/10 10:57 a.m.

My brother owned one waaay back (mid 80s) his had a broken frame, the frame shop never did figure out why???

Besides the broken frame, being underpowered, It was just a typical 70's Euro P.O.S

Be happy someone else is buying it.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/25/10 10:59 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: ... It was just a typical 70's Euro P.O.S Be happy someone else is buying it.

Wow, you managed to offend about half the folks on this forum with one comment. Congrats!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
9/25/10 11:26 a.m.

now if it were possible to replicate this from the above...

Photobucket Photobucket

an original being way too expensive. the Stradale only uses the center tub of the Scorpion, then it's space frame front and rear with an Abarth 131 engine turned ns.

mad_machine
9/25/10 12:02 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: My brother owned one waaay back (mid 80s) his had a broken frame, the frame shop never did figure out why??? Besides the broken frame, being underpowered, It was just a typical 70's Euro P.O.S Be happy someone else is buying it.

how a unibody car had a broken frame, I will never know.

And yes.. you did manage to offend about half or more of this forum in one sentence. We like our euro P.O.S.'s (they are all I own)

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
9/25/10 12:58 p.m.

Found at SCCA runoffs yesterday

integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/25/10 3:19 p.m.

I just found another REALLY good reason why you should be glad you didn't get this car...

The Lancia Scorpion, was temporary taken out of production in 1978 as the first cars were considered to be quite dangerous handling. Production resumed after about a year, year and a half, with a revised suspension setup. And to quote a Sports Car and Classics buyers guide: "....AVOID U.S. only Scorpions with 1800 engines and 80bhp."

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/10 3:26 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I just found another REALLY good reason why you should be glad you didn't get this car... The Lancia Scorpion, was temporary taken out of production in 1978 as the first cars were considered to be quite dangerous handling. Production resumed after about a year, year and a half, with a revised suspension setup. And to quote a Sports Car and Classics buyers guide: "....AVOID U.S. only Scorpions with 1800 engines and 80bhp."

Because suspension and brake bias can't be fixed?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WfhPmwfJGT56jBKgLeEAZKvaMqLUgZN1kiSI9wagyJWB9bdAMUkCSZdpm3FRTr10