1 2 3 ... 5
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/12/16 1:47 p.m.

Baby stuff has a way of growing and we've got a tight fit already in the Mazda6 wagon. There just aren't that many big station wagons out there. I'm coming up with the Caprice/Roadmaster twins and that's about it. What else is there? None of the Volvos are anywhere near as big as the Caprice. Are we pretty much into an SUV or minivan if we want something with a better fit and finish than a Roadmaster but similar room?

I wish Lexus made an LW400. A wagon version of the LS400 seems like it would be perfect. The jump up in height to go to an SUV or minivan has so many compromises.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
9/12/16 1:52 p.m.

Dodge Magnum. No front bench, though. Roomy for five adults. Well, four adults and a child. Can be had with V8 flavor.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
9/12/16 1:53 p.m.

The newest B-body wagon is now 20 years old, so yeah, you're into CUV's and such now if you want a "new" wagon that's "fullsize".

The price and depreciation you'll eat on a new CUV though, you could build a pretty stellar overhauled Roadmaster... fresh LS, T56, suspension overhaul

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
9/12/16 2:01 p.m.

Mazda 5
Kia Rondo
Chevy HHR - I had one and regret selling it. It was FANTASTIC at hauling the kids to football with all of their gear, or even trips to Costco.

Or just go full on and get what you know you need...a minivan. I promise, you won't lose your man card.

wnick
wnick New Reader
9/12/16 2:04 p.m.

I have had my 2009 flex for 6 yrs. We just turned 80k miles. I still like it. The 3.5 has plenty of power, if I don't pass everyone on the highway I get 25-27 mpg. I get 17-18 in the city. Rear fold down seats are easy to use. I would recommend getting a 2010 or newer. We have had a few 1st model problems that I think we ironed out in later models

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/12/16 2:05 p.m.

Pretty sure it's not what you're after, however, the '17 V90 should be available soon. Volvo doesn't have pricing on the website yet, but Car & Driver says the base T5 is $53K.

I look forward to Volvo's brick like depreciation, to provide a sweet looking affordable wagon in 5-6 years.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/12/16 2:10 p.m.

The Flex is probably your answer for big wagon.

If that's too pricy the Ford Freestyle is cheap, ugly as sin but roomy and solid.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/12/16 2:13 p.m.

I have had a little bit of an eye on a Lincoln MkT for a while as a car/van thing for the wife.

It is the restyled and tarted up Flex but because of legendary Lincoln depreciation they get pretty reasonably priced when bought used.

In the limo world, they offer these with a trunk too. I'm not quite sure why since it shares a lot with the MkS
link

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/12/16 2:19 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621: Whew! I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but every time I've seen an MkT in person I've thought it was astonishingly ugly.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/16 2:20 p.m.

When I want to sleep on the couch I ask my wife if I can have the keys to her wagon:

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
9/12/16 2:24 p.m.

Came here to say Flex. It's basically a big wagon but shh, don't tell Ford's marketing department I said that. No idea how they drive but the mother in law has one and it seems roomy and nice inside.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/12/16 2:26 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

You should know I don't worry very much about my man card. What I do worry about is enjoying driving the car.. and my wife enjoys driving fun cars too. Yes maybe it's time to give that up with baby hauling duties but that's a thing that will go kicking and screaming not with a whimper and the convenience of stow & go.

@bigdaddylee: Yes that's beautiful but costs $49k more than the most expensive car in my driveway. I'm willing to spend more if it's compelling but $49k better come with blow jobs and a 0-60 time measured in the 3's or 4's.

@wnick and JohnRW: Oooh! The Flex is neat looking and appropriately huge. Too bad they made it so tall. I wonder if the ecoboost is fun to drive. The MkT is hideous but supposed to have a ludicrously nice interior. Something to think about at least.

I know "fun to drive" and "land yacht" don't sound like synonyms but they have their charms. I loved my Roadmaster but it was nailed together of lowest bidder parts from the bin so I don't know if I'm ready to repeat ownership as a daily driver.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/12/16 2:28 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: The Flex is probably your answer for big wagon. If that's too pricy the Ford Freestyle is cheap, ugly as sin but roomy and solid.

Word of caution on the Freestyle. The early models have a problematic CVT. Later this was changed to a traditional auto trans and along the way the name changed to Taurus X.
The pre-Ford Flex.
Wiki

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
9/12/16 2:34 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Yeah, I'm with you my friend. I don't give a rats behind about a "man card" either. Well, if you want a wagon that can haul what you need and be fun to drive, what about HHR SS? Much more cost effective than some of the other choices. Fast right out of the box and can be tuned to be stupid fast. They really can haul an impressive amount of cargo. Fold the back seat down (or even half of it if you're carrying your daughter) and it's cavernous inside. I also liked that the load floor was a durable plastic. Super easy to wipe clean.

The Flex is a great choice too. We looked at them several times, but they're not quite large enough for full family hauling needs, since we've got 3 kids. But for one kid, they'd be great. Not sure about the fun to drive factor though. They're not bad, but not "fun" either.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/12/16 2:44 p.m.

Have you looked at the non-V CTS wagon? I'm not sure they're much bigger than the 6, but probably worth checking out. No idea what pricing is, they're pretty thin on the ground.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/12/16 3:00 p.m.

If you have had good results with the 6 Wagon except for the space, how about staying with Mazda. Let me throw this out there:

Mazda CX-9: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=19446&endYear=2017&modelCode1=CX-9&showcaseOwnerId=75280&makeCode1=MAZDA&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=15000&showcaseListingId=415003827&mmt=%5BMAZDA%5BCX-9%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=436905221&Log=0

I know you don't want to go into SUV territory but there aren't many options left in the wagon realm. I think an Ecoboost powered Flex would be a promising start. A Mazda 5 would probably be too small or not too much bigger than the 6 Wagon.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/16 3:07 p.m.

How many kids do you have? If more than two, bite the bullet and get a minivan. There are countless threads on this forum from those of us who tried to avoid one, but seriously, they really are the most logical answer for hauling a family.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
9/12/16 3:25 p.m.

Budget? I'll chime in with those that suggest a minivan. If you're okay with a 10+ year old car, then get an MPV. Still have mine since new and it's been great. Big enough, but not too big. Drives and parks like a sedan. Not sure what will replace it. I'm also keeping a lookout for a 5-series BMW wagon with the inline 6 and a stick shift, but I'm more likely to be struck by lightning!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/12/16 3:37 p.m.

The large Sears rooftop car carrier makes it possible for us to take my wife's Mazda5 on a weeks vacation with the baby. It may help to stretch your Mazda6's capabilities as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
9/12/16 3:41 p.m.

A sawzall, a welder, and the roof from a Land Cruiser could get you the Lexus LS wagon you desire (you already have the Lexus, yes?). Since Toyotas rust from the bottom up, you should have no problem finding that roof either

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/12/16 3:46 p.m.

We have one baby now, and the second on the way. (woohoo!) The first one will be 2 by the time the second is born so she can go forward facing. But my main concern is legroom for me, a somewhat long legged 6' tall, in front of the baby seat. It is very tight for me in front of the rear facing seat in the Mazda 6. I could not drive in front of a rear facing seat. Front facing is better but not 100%.

Secondary concern is now everything baby doubles, and the sport utility stroller alone does a good job of filling the cargo area on the 6 wagon.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/12/16 3:47 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: A sawzall, a welder, and the roof from a Land Cruiser could get you the Lexus LS wagon you desire (you already have the Lexus, yes?). Since Toyotas rust from the bottom up, you should have no problem finding that roof either

Believe me the thought occurred to me. I had thought of using a Volvo 960 as a roof donor. I could probably weld together a body but getting the interior to a fit and finish I would be happy with would drive me crazy for so long the kids would be driving by then.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/12/16 3:57 p.m.
dculberson wrote: The jump up in height to go to an SUV or minivan has so many compromises.

The Flex is a full 5" taller than a Mazda 5, 10" taller than the 6. Its way into SUV territory.

I'm very surprised you can't fit in front of a rear facing seat in the 6. I can do that in my SL2.

The published cargo area size of the 6 isn't that big (slightly more than the Fit?). I assume the numbers don't reflect reality.

Not a real recommendation, but an option, the Saturn L wagon offers a solid 30% more cargo area (published) than the Mazda 6. A coworker picked up one as a beater/materials hauler for $cheap and the cargo space is definitely large. The L series is 1" shorter in height than the Mazda 6 (numbers may be slightly different for wagons, couldn't find them)

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/12/16 4:34 p.m.

An outback or legacy wagon, while not appreciably bigger than your Mazda6, are more space efficient inside. Find a base model with a stick like I did or a loaded high end turbo or 3.6l H6 model if prefer speed. We're only 10 months in on kid #1, but my '12 outback will work well taking two.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/12/16 5:40 p.m.

Ive never understood this kid space and cargo thing. We have spent all 8 years of my twins lives using my wifes ion. Including trips to maryland. How much crap do you guys carry per kid.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
95fqLrLCxm4WpWE39vBNCdDuYgYmJFCSjgydouh0804MD8xDZFt68FM0v9C6kzeq