1 2 3 4
rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
1/26/12 11:06 a.m.

I hate this board. I'm now searching minivans. Again......

So, is there a caravan swap guide thing? 3.8L V6 into a short wheel base model. Disc brakes from where? Sway bars are J/Y items or retail? etc.

-Rob

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
1/26/12 11:07 a.m.

I've got two well adjusted jr high school aged kids; I think my manliness has been approved.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
1/26/12 11:20 a.m.

Wow! Who woulda guessed I could start a thread with such awesome internet high-fiving?

I agree with many of you here that taking virtually ANYTHING and making it turn and/or go is "cool".

I also am sure that I've never considered a vehicle a tool to prop up my manliness. Especially when the time comes to waste a more "manly" car in the 1/4 mile or road race track!

I actually lost sleep last night because of the replies here! (in a good way!)

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/26/12 11:26 a.m.

I resisted getting a minivan. We are on our second one. Over the summer I towed a car (tow dolley) back from Virginia, over the mountains with a motorcycle inside. I averaged 21 mpg. Can't beat that with a stick.
Trans Maro, didn't you read the GRM article a few years back? A stock Odyssey trounced a 356, E-type, and i think a 60's vette on a road course and I think the strip as well. If you had a miata or a P71 that did that you'd be swinging your balls aroud yelling about how manly you are.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/26/12 11:30 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote: I hate this board. I'm now searching minivans. Again...... So, is there a caravan swap guide thing? 3.8L V6 into a short wheel base model. Disc brakes from where? Sway bars are J/Y items or retail? etc. -Rob

The brakes were from the Grand Caravan, springs were from Eiback, sway bars were Ground Control (IIRC).
The 3.8 does respond to porting well, but I was told the lower-end would never take boost or juice. I thought about a Stealth R/T twin-turbo AWD drivetran stuffed under one.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 1:17 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
BARNCA wrote:
Oh man.... midship 3.5/42RLE/IRS.... HEAVEN!!! Plus I believe you could keep the middle row of seats too....

why does that idea make me giggle like a little girl?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
1/26/12 6:36 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: why does that idea make me giggle like a little girl?

For the same reason it's now my wallpaper on my computer and why I can't stop looking at them while in the mall parking lot!

Marty!
Marty! Dork
1/26/12 6:49 p.m.

I <3 me some minivans. Currently at present is the first time in 12 years I don't have at least one Caravan in my driveway. I may have to rectify that soon.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
1/26/12 7:32 p.m.

3.8L 2001-2007 215 @ 5000 RPM 245 @ 4000 RPM

Not too shabby for a Caravan. That's like 85 hp more than my Protege!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
1/26/12 10:49 p.m.

Oh dear me, look what I've started.

Guys, I hate minivans, that's all there is to it. I managed to get quite a few of you wound up in the process.

I can't think of a more boring, soul-sucking appliance than a minivan and there are so many options that do the same thing and aren't minivans.

Buy a station wagon or a good, mid-sized SUV and you can do the same stuff only better.

I can't understand why you would spend good time and money, putting all that into a minvan and still have a minivan at the end of it all.

Why not just go out in the garage and burn your money?

I'm well aware that a minivan with 40+ years of suspension and tire technology will beat an early sports car, If you don't think that's possible, you're a fool.

Just, WHY would you bother spending any amount of the short time we have on this earth in something that is as boring and plain-jane as a minivan?

The folks who design those things should be made to wallow in their own filth as punshiment for angering the automotive styling gods.

For once, one of us is trying NOT to be an enabler and look what happens.

Seriously man, if you want to do it, go right ahead. You might make something fast and fun but it's still like winning a gold medal at the special olympics.

And for some of you:

• cut the "welcome to GRM" suff, I've been here as long as you have and I know how it works.

• Going to the F-body driver stereotype, really? I'd expect better from most of you than simply picking the low hanging fruit.

Shawn.

P.S. I forgot, to make this internet rant complete:

Hitler probably had something to do with minivans.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/26/12 10:57 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Buy a station wagon or a good, mid-sized SUV and you can do the same stuff only better.

No you can't.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
1/27/12 12:33 a.m.
Grizz wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: Buy a station wagon or a good, mid-sized SUV and you can do the same stuff only better.
No you can't.

That's not an argument, it's just contradiction.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
1/27/12 7:06 a.m.

I think in general a station wagon or suv will never compare to the capacity to carry stuff like a minivan, by that I mean interior volume. maybe a fullsize SUV?

If you need something bigger, IMO, a full size van is the ticket.

I am firmly in the berkeley SUV's camp. Ill take a van, yes even a mini, any day.

Dr Boost, when you talked about towing, you were doing that with a Caravan amirite? Actually I think I remember that thread with the pics.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/27/12 7:14 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Grizz wrote:
No you can't.
That's not an argument, it's just contradiction.

Ok, then 'splain yourself.
Lemme 'splain. No, here is too much, lemme sum up. Let's take people-hauling. You canget 7 people in many SUV's now. But it takes contortions to get to most of those rear seats and, let's face it, they are occasional seats in reality. Those seats often place the rear-most passengers heads quite close to the rear window, not safe in a crash.
Stuff hauling. Only the largest SUV's have more cubic feets then a minivan but they also have a higher load floor, seats that either don't fold flat and/or have to be removed and stored somewhere. With the Chrysler minivans you can fold all of the chairs away in litterally minutes, leaving a flat load floor. When the seats are up, you have lots of under-floor storage that's out of sight and out of the way.
Style, that's subjective but minivan's aren't pretty. Neither are SUV's.
Economy. Minivans hold their value much better and get better fuel economy.

My wife's friend is like you. Hates minivans just to hate something the masses like. She has an Expiduche. She has kids, so do we. She can't get any more people in her Eped than we can (but getting to the rear seat in her truck is a PITA. When you get 1 stroller, a large diaper bag and light groceries, she has a 3 seater. We can get all that stuff, more groceries and 5 people no problem. she get's 11 mpg, we get 20.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
1/27/12 9:39 a.m.

I must not get it because I don't have kids.

You raise some good points Mr. Boost.

You can fill the Exhibition up to it's capacity and still tow something.

Can you do that with the Minivan?

Shawn

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 9:57 a.m.

IMO vans like this are the most efficient vehicle made. They typically can be made to handle well and go fast, they get decent milleage, and they can cary about 5 times as much crap as your average sedan. In other words, they're a very intelligent choice. I find something very affirming about intelligent choices.You'll get no hate from me. I think building one up is a great idea.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/27/12 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Car vs. truck argument. As a pure people and covered stuff hauler, minivan hands down. As to moving things on a trailer, buy a damn truck and quit trying to get the best of all worlds. SUV's are a complete compromise that don't do anything very well. I spent 3 hrs in the very back of a 7 passenger, with 7 passengers in it, Exped yesterday, even with the IRS in back, it was a completely ill handling, gas guzzling, and most uncomfortable POS rolling down the road.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/27/12 10:04 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Oh dear me, look what I've started. Guys, I hate minivans, that's all there is to it. I managed to get quite a few of you wound up in the process. I can't think of a more boring, soul-sucking appliance than a minivan and there are so many options that do the same thing and aren't minivans. Buy a station wagon or a good, mid-sized SUV and you can do the same stuff only better. I can't understand why you would spend good time and money, putting all that into a minvan and still have a minivan at the end of it all. Why not just go out in the garage and burn your money? I'm well aware that a minivan with 40+ years of suspension and tire technology will beat an early sports car, If you don't think that's possible, you're a fool. Just, WHY would you bother spending any amount of the short time we have on this earth in something that is as boring and plain-jane as a minivan? The folks who design those things should be made to wallow in their own filth as punshiment for angering the automotive styling gods. For once, one of us is trying NOT to be an enabler and look what happens. Seriously man, if you want to do it, go right ahead. You might make something fast and fun but it's still like winning a gold medal at the special olympics. And for some of you: - cut the "welcome to GRM" suff, I've been here as long as you have and I know how it works. - Going to the F-body driver stereotype, really? I'd expect better from most of you than simply picking the low hanging fruit. Shawn. P.S. I forgot, to make this internet rant complete: Hitler probably had something to do with minivans.

I don't like minivans either. I understand the utility and practicality. I can see how they make sense for a family. I still wouldn't want to have drive one.

Maybe I'd come around to them if I had a wife and kids. I doubt it though.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/27/12 10:08 a.m.

I can't tow as much with a caravan as with a Exped, but I just towed a car over the mountains and about 700 miles, with a motorcycle (Katana 750) INSIDE the van, standing up and averaged about 21 mpg. You ain't doing that in a Exped.
So, if you need to haul a horse trailer, a minivan is the wrong choice. Just about anything less though, the minivan does more, for less, with less.
Do you see what you did Trans_Maro!?!? I'm freaking DEFENDING the purchase or ownership of a minivan!!! What depths of human depravity have I sunk to? I was the biggest anti-minivan dude around for many moons. It's just, after owning two of them do you realize they are usefull. And yes, having kids makes them more valuable.
Now I'm going to go sit in the mini now (though I could park the mini in the minivan).

kreb
1/27/12 10:09 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: Car vs. truck argument. As a pure people and covered stuff hauler, minivan hands down. As to moving things on a trailer, buy a damn truck and quit trying to get the best of all worlds. SUV's are a complete compromise that don't do anything very well. I spent 3 hrs in the very back of a 7 passenger, with 7 passengers in it, Exped yesterday, even with the IRS in back, it was a completely ill handling, gas guzzling, and most uncomfortable POS rolling down the road.

Considering that 80 percent of SUVs get used solely as station wagons, one has to wonder if they aren't the emotional equivalent of a 1970s Vette. - A compensation device. Given that used that way a minivan is far superior, the question should be: Are you man enough to be seen in a minivan? Huh, punk?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
1/27/12 10:30 a.m.

Well I don't like poor-handling, overly-loud, heavy, slow-despite-having-an-oversized-gas-sucking-engine cars with ficitional birds painted on the hood, so I guess it's good that it's a free country and we can buy what we want

And I didn't get worked up, I give GRM forum members a bit more credit to understand usefulness over perceptions.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
1/27/12 10:41 a.m.

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/27/12 11:08 a.m.
kreb wrote: Given that used that way a minivan is far superior, the question should be: Are you man enough to be seen in a minivan? Huh, punk?

You bet. My wife, not so much. She is anti-minivan and anti-wagons. I have no problem pimping a minivan. It is just another means of appliance transportation. Plus MOST, I'm looking at you Ford and your POS Windstar, minivans are easy to work on. Caravans are nearly bulletproof. When working on them, the steering rack, wiring harness for the sliding doors, and power steering pumps/reservoirs were the parts most likely replaced besides maintenance items.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
1/27/12 11:33 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I must not get it because I don't have kids.

That could be. Your whole perspective changes after kids We've got a family of 6...my, wife, 3 kids and a nanny. I couldn't imagine life without our Sedona. Sure, a Suburban or Expedition could carry 6 in comfort and tow. But the differences, at least for me...

My Sedona can tow 3500lbs. Not heavy duty stuff, but more than sufficient for me. I've towed a landscape trailer with mulch and assorted crap countless times. I can even tow a small car on a dolly.

Sedona gets 18-20mpg, much better than a big truck.

DrBoost mentioned the versitility. One other huge thing is the sliding side doors and easy access to the third row. When my twins were babies and my oldest was 3, having super easy access to the center and rear row was invaluable. It's a PITA in a big SUV.

And I don't mind the 250hp either, it's fun to surprise some cars every now and then.

When my kids are older, I'd love to get a conversion van, but for now, the minivan is perfect.

kreb
1/27/12 11:47 a.m.

I went against the tide: I had a minivan before I had children, and now drive a quad-cab pickup. I bought the minivan for work, and ended up loving it as an all-around vehicle. Not sports-car love, but the love one has for something that just works really well for what it is. The truck is very useful for some things, but 98 percent of the time I wish that I still drove the van.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nYvB8DpFTAhbseuKkGTZMAYS94NZnNMITLV8eKheSbmoH3ooVCcwqy0jUUgevxS