Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
6/7/17 7:07 p.m.

Howdy Y'all. So I have a Datsun 280z that is currently minus a drivetrain. I have another Z that will be completely stock so I am not too worried about that with this one.

What I am curious about is if one year is better for any reason than another and if there is a cheap way to find one. I figure everyone wants a 351 out of a Mustang or Cougar but what about a later model sitting in a junkyard van or truck?

Thanks!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/17 7:10 p.m.

Be aware that they are a little taller and wider than a 260/289/302 and they use a different firing order.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/7/17 7:25 p.m.
Woody wrote: Be aware that they are a little taller and wider than a 260/289/302 and they use a different firing order.

Only before 1982. After, the 302/5.0 maintained the same 351 order.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/17 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Thanks. I did not know that. I am old (school)!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/7/17 7:50 p.m.

Is 351W code for LS?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
6/7/17 7:56 p.m.

It is now ! Right along side E36 M3 and berkeley.

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
6/7/17 8:15 p.m.

Well, LS sure does make more power but I am going to go old school with carbs. Plus I already have an intake, headers, carbs, and a Ford T5 trans. The easy button for me is just stick with what I got and go Ford. 5.0 is surely a little easier but the heart wants what the heart wants.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/7/17 8:36 p.m.

As long as the deck height and bit of extra cost dont bother you its a stronger block. Some newer blocks lack the provisions for a mechanical fuel.pump.

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
6/7/17 9:10 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

Do you happen to know what year they made the change? Are there any decent stock heads?

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
6/7/17 9:47 p.m.

Be aware that the taller deck height of the 351W means that 289/302 intakes do not fit, nor do the distributors or oil pans. Since the deck height is taller, this makes the engine wider and headers may not fit between the frame rails of a Z-car.

A 302 would be a lot more common and easier/cheaper to find performance parts for, but if you want a 351W and it fits, why not?

As far as performance is concerned, any 351W you would find in the junkyard is pretty much a dog until you start to add things like better heads, cam, exhaust and such.

The only decent stock heads (and unmodified they are mediocre at best) would be the GTP heads from a late 90's Explorer/Mountaineer. But they require specific exhaust manifolds/headers because they changed the spark plug location on the GTP heads. If you do go this route, put some better valve springs on them, even for a stock cam.

Don't know what year they stopped adding the provision for the mechanical fuel pump, but since that is part of the timing cover, not the block, I suppose if you wanted to go to the trouble, you could find a timing cover with that provision and run a cam that is able to accept a fuel pump eccentric. I'd just run an electric pump if it were me.

Or if you want to spend some money, build a 347 stroker with the short deck 302 block. You won't miss those 4 cubic inches, not in street car anyway.

Also I would not worry about the difference in block strength between the 302/351, at least not until you get up to around 450-500 HP, and even then a properly tuned 302 will live longer than you think.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/8/17 2:14 a.m.
dropstep wrote: As long as the deck height and bit of extra cost dont bother you its a stronger block. Some newer blocks lack the provisions for a mechanical fuel.pump.

Blocks are the same for the fuel pump mount, it's the timing that changes for if you have one or not.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/8/17 2:17 a.m.
Pattyo wrote: Are there any decent stock heads?

Short answer no.

Longer answer is by the time you have recon'd some gt40 heads or similar (after paying a small fortune for them initially), you may as well spend the extra $ on some aftermarket aluminums.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/8/17 9:29 a.m.

Is the 351C any better ?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/8/17 9:59 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Is the 351C any better ?

It takes a lot more effort and money to build a good hi-po Cleveland, and they are a lot wider than Windsor based SBFs, so they don't make a good choice for swaps.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
6/8/17 10:13 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Is the 351C any better ?

The 351C is a bit of a dinosaur. Not built since the mid 70's so stock parts are hard to find. It is the basis for the Ford racing engines used in NASCAR and other forms of racing from the late 70's through the early 2000's. But we're talking racing parts and not street parts.

The 351M & 400M are derivatives of the 351C. They are tall deck engines, taller then the "C" and were used mostly in trucks and full size cars in the late 70's.

Go 5.0L and stroke it as suggested. The 351W besided all of the things listed is also heavier! The block, crank, and rods are all bigger and heavier. They are not high rpm engines in stock form where a stock 5.0 will rev to 6K and with a simple cam and head swap make good power up to that point.

Where the 351W shines is when you swap in a stroker lower end, big port aluminum heads, and the right intake. You can go as big as 7 liters with a stock block. The down side is cost! I have heard that with aftermarket blocks with 4.120 bores you can exceed 450 cubes. Big block power in a small block package. If you can fit it under your hood!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mxqaYRXtJGPBp7GgcdwVowWaFNubK0LmXUBKkjUL1tvaxL940pjjnyMTXys3QLhI