jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/18/22 12:41 p.m.

We recently had a thread here about somebody that made a mistake buying a car from out of state.

I do not want to be that guy.

I am considering buying a paid off and clear titled 1996 Nissan Hardbody from Virginia and trailering it back to Pennsylvania to immediately license and drive on the street. I called AAA and they said that I need a bill of sale and a signed title, but could not advise if the signatures need to be notarized in Virginia or not. No so helpful.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on how to do this correctly? I cannot afford to have an off road only pickup/paperweight parked in my my driveway and the seller is 6 hours away so it's not so convenient to just drive back and have the paperwork redone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
8/18/22 12:42 p.m.

Call your tag place of choice and check with them- ultimately that's who is going to be making the decision on whether you've got the right documentation for the title transfer and registration.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
8/18/22 12:47 p.m.

Virginia resident, our titles do not require any notarization for transfer.  Buyer signs, seller signs, good to go.  

Whether PA DMV accepts that I couldn't say.  To bring a PA vehicle to VA, i had to get the PA title notarized before leaving the state.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/22 12:59 p.m.

What does PA require for a sale that goes PA to PA?   I would do that.  

It might mean you have a notorized piece of paper that didn't need to be notorized.  I expect you would never be rejected for having that notary (and not needed) ,  just rejected for not having when needed. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 1:07 p.m.

VA isn't a notary state so there will be no place on the title to notarize and it is not required even if you are going to transfer it to a notary state. 

If you want to do a separate bill of sale and have that notarized it couldn't hurt. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
8/18/22 1:13 p.m.

I bought a vehicle in Ohio and transferred to PA. Bill of sale, if applicable title notarized, it doesn't matter what you say on the sale price, Insurance info, they use market value for taxes, You of course need a PA inspection and then they mail you the title in a month after the transfer.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
8/18/22 1:45 p.m.

PA notaries are not very consistent.  If you choose to use AAA get at least 2 of their people to confirm what you need.  I only use them when gifting a car to one of my kids, otherwise I use a local person who knows me.  Had too many problems with notary sphincters who think they rule the world of dmv.    If the VA title doesn't require a notary stamp having a notarized bill of sale is a good idea.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/18/22 2:05 p.m.

Great info. Thanks everyone.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/18/22 2:12 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Call your tag place of choice and check with them- ultimately that's who is going to be making the decision on whether you've got the right documentation for the title transfer and registration.

This seems like the safest approach.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/18/22 2:15 p.m.
No Time said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

This seems like the safest approach.

That's what I do but my favorite place closed. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/22 2:21 p.m.

I'm the one who posted about my nephew getting screwed.

PA (with caveats) uses the rules of the other state.  If VA doesn't need a notary, you don't need a notary.  The reason is, since VA doesn't require a notary there is no space on the title for a notary stamp.  It's not kosher to notarize something that doesn't have a spot for it, therefore PA can't really require it.  If you take a VA title to a VA notary, they will likely decline to notarize it because they can't, or at least aren't supposed to.

Above all, ALWAYS consult two different DMV tag places AND check the requirements on the PennDOT website.  You might need just a signed title.  You might need a bill of sale.  You might need a young priest and an old priest.  As with any transfer in PA, you'll need your ID and an insurance card.  As long as you have the state minimum liability on another vehicle, you can get stuff done.  You don't need insurance on the new Nissan yet.  PA insurance law (this can be more or less restricted by the company you use) gives you 30 days to add it to your policy.  It is covered, provided you add it and pay the premium within 30 days of the purchase date.  In theory (check with your company), you could buy it on August 1st, drive it home, do the title/registration, and hit something on the way home.  As long as you call your insurance company and add/pay before August 31st, it's covered.

If VA does temp tags, do it.  Once you get it back to PA, the person doing the transfer will need to see the vehicle itself to do a VIN verification and GVWR confirmation.  Once that happens, they can punch some buttons, take your money, and hand you a plate and registration.  You'll get the title in the mail a few weeks later.  One stop shop.

Some states do a 30-day thing where a signed title is good as a temporary registration for 30 days, meaning you could drive it home.  That was the case in TX, but I think it was actually 60 days.  The plate stayed with the vehicle and you could just drive it without transferring for a while.  Print out whatever you find on VA law concerning that in case you get pulled over in MD or WV.  Out-of-state police aren't required to know VA's rules and they usually don't.

Above all, be prepared for PA to be confused.  They have a big book of all the states' rules but it is sometimes wrong or not up to date.  I bought a boat out of MD once.  MD didn't start titling boats until the mid 80s.  The boat I bought was a 1981, so no title, but the PA book said that they DO title boats and required a title.  I even presented them with documentation from MD's website that said my boat didn't ever have one and they refused.  Fortunately, I found a sympathetic person at the MD department of boaty things (MDDoBT) who typed up a "fake" title for me.

8/18/22 2:34 p.m.

I have used Beaver Co Tag and Title/Georges Notary just off 51 in the past.  It's beside a DOT license center and a Dicks or Dunhams or something.  That was smooth for me.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/18/22 2:38 p.m.

Granted it has been a while since I've done an out of state but in my experience you need the ownership document for the vehicle and a completed MV41 VIN Verification form, completed by an inspection mechanic, state police officer, or notary. Have never been asked for a bill of sale in this state. 

8/18/22 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

I've not been asked for one either, but I always get one even if it's just scribbled on a napkin.

PA uses the purchase price to determine tax liability, so you technically can tell them a low number to save on taxes.  The notary won't care what you say.  The problem is, if you go too low PennDOT will send you a letter that basically calls you a liar and tries to charge you tax on the book value.  If you have a signed bill of sale that matches the price you reported, they drop the subject.

I personally always report the actual price I paid.  It takes a little more out of my wallet but it just saves headaches and doesn't berkeley with my karma.  If I'm selling a vehicle, I offer a bill of sale but I don't fill in the purchase price.  If they want to lie, that's on them.  I make two.  One for me, one for the buyer.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/18/22 4:32 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I have used Beaver Co Tag and Title/Georges Notary just off 51 in the past.  It's beside a DOT license center and a Dicks or Dunhams or something.  That was smooth for me.

Thanks Curtis. That's right up the road from me and where I plan on going to. I also have a AAA membership but the people there can be difficult.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/18/22 4:40 p.m.

And a quick call to them revealed no notary work in Virginia is required. Just the signed title and a plain bill of sale. Now I just need to firm things up with the seller. 

8/18/22 5:36 p.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

Go git it!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/22 6:17 p.m.

I recently transferred a car from Ohio. I had a signed Ohio title.  Took it to the tag place I've been going to for 30+ years (now run by the deceased owner's son; RIP Mike).  Because it was an older car with a non-standard VIN, it had to be manually transferred, but otherwise, no issues so far, although I still haven't received the new title from PA.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/19/22 7:57 a.m.

I was ready to pull the trigger and...  

The seller decided that he doesn't want to sell it anymore. Or at least that's the story that he gave me. I took a day off from work and made a reservation at UHaul too. 

So if anybody is selling a 2wd regular cab Hardbody with a manual transmission and no rust, let me know. I prefer the later dashboard models, A/C is a must.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cmUo9EJWfdx75JzfdymHq3xLGFiq0lxG5idQqfn7MFnyu1jaGaNMyK9ZKnNISzVa