1 2
B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/26/18 8:20 a.m.

Ok so I have a problem. Im really an import guy. I have owned Nissan, Datsuns Infinitis most of my life. I have only had 3 American Made vehicles and they have always been trucks/SUVs.

But, I have a soft spot for light FWD cars. And this one is such a good deal a couldn't pass it up (I think). It seems super clean but I literally Know NOTHING about them. Im about to sell my Imprezza RallyX car. I figured this little Neon would be a fun back and forth to work (8mi) and occasional autoX or rallyX car to add to the stable. My Infiniti G20 build is becoming more and more of a time attack. 

I already bought it... Kinda Sight unseen? For $500... Help what did I just get myself into?

1998 Dodge Neon 2D coupe

From the Owner: 

5spd tranny w/short shifter, cold air intake, has racing springs, battery set up in trunk, has monza exhaust, factory stock interior in good shape

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/26/18 8:29 a.m.

They are fine, change the engine mounts, shifter bushings and timing belt and water pump when you get it and don't let it overheat and it should be pretty reliable. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/18 8:34 a.m.

One of the best handling fwd cars I've driven was an STS prepped ACR sedan, they're a blast!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/18 8:40 a.m.

For $500 you just bought yourself an awesome little car that drives like a happy puppy.  Congratulations!

Really, what Tk said above is about it.  Do the maintenance above, drive the heck out of it, and have fun.

Look for Booger Bushings for the shift linkage.  Jeff Ball is a great guy and long-time Neon owner.

Start here to learn about Neons < My little contribution to the Neon world.  Still has relevance today.

You'll hear about headgaskets.  Look down between the intake runners - if you see a small flange of the headgasket sticking out with some little metal grommets through it, it has the revised MLS headgasket that usually cures the problem.  If it fails, it usually fails externally to the back of the block near the left side.  As long as oil is not getting in the coolant (or vice versa), you can let it weep like this forever.  Just keep the level topped up.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/26/18 8:55 a.m.

Nice score!  This place doesn't waste any time.  I think the high spots have been hit already.  Cute, nimble little coupes that are fun, fun, fun.  ChryCo really screwed up when they dropped the 2-door for the 2nd gen.

B13Birk
1/26/18 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Thanks for the advice yall! As I said I know nothing about these cars. It should be a fun little toy to mess around with. Im hoping to not look at any site for modifying these cars.... But that wont happen. 

I felt that for $500 It was a can't loose situation. The owner wasnt too clear on what the modifications are exactly that have been done to the car But apparently this gentleman is very meticulous and build the car to do AutoX with. We shall see, Im helping run the Nasa Rally Sprint this weekend so ill probably go pick it up sometime Monday or Tuesday. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/18 9:25 a.m.

Its got the DOHC and manual for $500?  And it looks decent too!  I say thats a steal!  (does it run?)

D2W
D2W HalfDork
1/26/18 9:43 a.m.

We have had a 96 2 door in the family for 13 years. Both my sons drove and beat the hell out of that little car and it just keeps going. My oldest has it back now and uses it for an autocross car. Mods are easy and well documented. I think you got a steal. This is one car that Dodge hit a home run.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
1/26/18 11:16 a.m.

DOHC/3.94 is a great start.

I see it already has an intake. 52mm TB from an automatic car is a great and almost free power mod.

The Mopar ECU and pulley is another great mod as well. My SOHC neon was running in the 14s at the drag strip with those mods back in 2003 --- that was Mustang GT territory at the time!

The car itself looks strange - was it repainted? Never seen a DOHC without a tach - so I'd swap that over (2 screws). You have base model seats but with a highline center console.... and a sunroof? Is it aftermarket?

Maybe it's not a 3.94 after all...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/26/18 11:18 a.m.

As a northerner in the salt belt.    I mean this with the most sincere way I can think of.  berkeley you.   

That is way too clean for the price you paid.

$500 gets a bucket of rust up here.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/26/18 11:30 a.m.

I’ve been running a 1998 Neon as my rallycross car for several years now.  It holds its own against more powerful cars, as it handles great, and is nice and light.  If it doesn’t have one already, I’d suggest a rear sway bar to get the back end to rotate easier in the dirt.

If you run into any overheating issues, before assuming it’s the head gasket, check to make sure it still has a front airdam.  It’s really small, but does make a significant difference.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/26/18 11:36 a.m.

Best. Crappy.  Car.  Ever.

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
1/26/18 11:44 a.m.

Nice buy. If you want to Rallycross it, Rallynotes.com, those guys have built both generations of neon, and we're winning podiums fairly regularly, so they must have an idea of what they were doing.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
1/26/18 8:38 p.m.

Nobody has pointed out the 2.4 swap yet? Car has the TMN motor mount adapter and telltale mangled lower rad hose. Enjoy torque all 2.0 bolt ons work just better N/A and turbo power is EASY pick your poison. Ask neon people unfortunately the "community" is infiltrated with morons and SRT4 children these days. 

Highline was the base trim in 98 your car has 95-96 flat "Confetti" seats and the no tach cluster. All post 96 and most earlier cars are wired for a tach it's as simple as swapping the clusters. All neon seats interchange so good seats are easy to come by I am taking a set of red "squiggle" seats out of my challenge car this weekend if you're close to York PA come get 'em have a set of Depo clear lights you desperately need too. 

You have a fairly desirable Iceman intake on the car. If you can take a photo of the end tag on the trans we can figure out what that is. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/18 8:52 p.m.

A stock Neon was one of the most capable feeling cars I have ever rallycrossed, ever.  And my normal rallycross car has won or nearly won nationally every time it has come out to play.

B13Birk
1/26/18 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

I wasn't sure if it was the 2.4 or not since it didn't say 2.4 on the valve cover but when I got there tonight I began to notice that stuff didn't look stock and had the signs a swap had been done.  the owner had no idea. Older guy. Really nice. SCCA races a sohc neon and bought this car for parts from a tow yard or something.  Already has the shifter bushings replaced and some other stuff i noticed. Once I get it home in a week or so I can further examine what i have actually got here. 

that is kinda cool about the option of easily adding a turbo. Idk what im gonna do with this thing yet. may just drive it a bit, clean it up and sort it out. and sell it for a profit. Id for sure be interested in the headlights but the seats would be a tough one. Im in Florida 

We shall see. Thanks for all the support and info folks. That's why I love this group of enthusiasts. GRM for the win again. If I start a build thread Ill add the link here. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/26/18 10:52 p.m.

The only new car I ever bought was a 1996 Neon - 2 door stick shift absolute base model. I loved that car. It was quick and fun to drive. I was young and dumb and "upgraded" to my first Range Rover.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
1/27/18 7:01 a.m.

That's a 2.4 swap that somebody ground the 2.4 L off the valve cover. Just the mount adapter alone gives it away.

Desy
Desy New Reader
1/27/18 1:41 p.m.

I've have a friend that still drives his 90's neon nearly every day still. He loves it no matter how much crap it's given him or we've given him.

They used to be amazing auto-x cars in the acr trim.

My experience with 90's mopar FWD is limited but I did have some months driving a car with a 2.4L. Motor had tons of torque which was nice. But also suffered the early blown head gasket issue. (I think there was a factory defect with the number 4 cylinder studs not being long enough?) My biggest complain 90's mopar was the electrical system. Tail light never would work, had a short in my door so my power windows/locks acted weird.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/27/18 2:17 p.m.

If you got a 2.4 swapped car that nice you underpaid by at least 100%. Nice job!

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
1/27/18 3:36 p.m.

Really good deal for a 2.4L. I'd be happy for any stick Neon in the $500 range, because they've all turned to rust here.

Usually black hood is a red flag for me, but in this case it looks like a good example.

B13Birk
1/27/18 5:00 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch :

Same here. I thought the same thing. It was actually green when I arrived So i realized it was just replacing not riceing lol

B13Birk
1/27/18 5:11 p.m.

Some pictures from seeing the car last night in person. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
1/27/18 5:30 p.m.

Definitely a 2.4 looks like an early 2000s Caravan, Stratus, or PT engine. Appears to have an SRT oiling system I dont see a filter parallel to the passenger front tire. Iceman intake, TMN adapter, and Booger bushings. 

For $500 you scored! 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/27/18 5:52 p.m.

I call dibs if you ever want to sell it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bVlkZH0rootFss9gWjohbWSPr6wP5LZvYmuA3czeAUHAhpvNG0RvLYJLzw0dGYcb