Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/25/18 8:23 a.m.

My rallycross AW11 has eaten it's filled motor mounts for breakfast.  Would like to make a set from hockey pucks.  Anything I need to worry about when buying said hockey pucks?  Certain materials to look for or avoid?   Any types that are filled?

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
12/25/18 8:53 a.m.

You might as well use solid mounts as hockey pucks. OEM mounts are designed so that there is no solid connection between the engine and the chassis. To use a puck you have to drill a hole through the puck and then run a bolt through both the mounting bracket on the engine block and the chassis with the puck in between.  How is this not a solid mount? The puck will have little if any NVH effect.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 10:02 a.m.

Hockey picks should all be basically the same, otherwise they’re not real hockey pucks :)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/25/18 10:51 a.m.

What did you fill them with?  I've used castable urethane, 60 shore, if I recall, with a 20 valve that I beat the snot out of and never had any problem.  Did that on an AW11 and on an AE92.  I put >80K miles on the AE92 20 valve, and I bounced off the rev limiter every single day.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/25/18 10:54 a.m.

Almost forgot:  Did that to the 3SGTE RAV4 also.  And that motor makes more HP and torque than any 4AGE, including a Formula Atlantic.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/25/18 11:14 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Hockey picks should all be basically the same, otherwise they’re not real hockey pucks :)

You’d think that, but a local HS team got some that were made in Pakistan. Look the same, feel the same, drop the same, but the damn things would literally break in two (or more) on a hard shot when they hit the post. 

Look for some made in Czech Republic, Slovakia, or Canada. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/25/18 4:21 p.m.

I like to use chunks of old silicone couplers to fill the voids of mounts to take the slack out without much if any additional vibration 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 5:29 p.m.

I use two part portable sealer used in pitch pockets in EPDM roofs. I prefer the Firestone  Stuff but Carlisle  also makes a good one. What ever you do don’t use the one part stuff. Just tape off one side of a mount and fill the voids with it. You could do many many of them with a gallon so plan accordingly. Also make sure it is completely mixed before using.  I have repaired broken mounts and made mounts with this stuff  

Nugi
Nugi Reader
12/25/18 8:03 p.m.

I find 3m WindowWeld to be the best one-part for mounts of oem-ish hardness, otherwise call up a plastics shop and have them spec you some 2 part polyurethane in your choice of color and hardness. Window weld is great for filling oem mounts for extra stiffness too. 3m stuff seems to stick to anything, while i would rough up metal for poly. 

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/25/18 8:27 p.m.

I used 3M window weld on one set of mounts and a urethane epoxy on another set.   Both were torn mounts initially  so I was filling in broken gaps taping one side and filling from the other.  For all my mounts I pulled them from the car and soaked them in dawn overnight and then scrubbed them clean letting them dry before applying the filler.   All the mounts had at least a week to dry before I reinstalled them.  All mounts eventually failed.   Here's a pic of the 3M filled one.

I have no concerns about NVH as the car is pretty much exclusively a rallycross car my biggest concern is cost/performance.   I beat the snot out of it on some pretty rough terrain to the point that I've busted 3 different motor mount bolts over the last 2 years of events.   I'm sure the extra stress of the rough terrain and some amount of time with a mount bouncing around on 1 less bolts caused the failures.   I have access to a lathe and a drill press so I have no issues with cutting hockey pucks down and drilling the hole.  Hockey pucks also seem to run about 1-2 dollars each on Amazon so price/performance seems to be quite high.   

The two mounts I plan on working on are the front and back mounts and they are both circular with no funny business on the shape they also already have a metal tube through the middle for the bolt.   I plan on getting the pucks pulling the mounts and cleaning all the rubber and filler out.   I'll turn the puck to the proper size and drill the center for the tube.

pirate
pirate Reader
12/26/18 11:31 a.m.

Not motor mounts but I drilled and counter bored (large enough for a flat washer) three hockey pucks to be used for feet of my 60 gallon air compressor. Compressor sat on concrete floor and vibrated just enough to walk a small amount plus was loud. Used 1/2 inch bolts with Nylock nuts tightened just enough to be snug and hold in place. Hockey puck feet cut down on vibration and was also more quiet. 

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/28/18 9:08 p.m.

I got a set of 12 pucks for $20 on Amazon.   Based on the advice here I paid a little more for ones made in Czech Republic rather than India.   Weirdly enough my front mount is exactly regulation puck size.   

The rear mount I'll have to turn the puck down to fit.   I'll drill the holes in the center and I'm reusing the sleeve from the mounts.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/29/18 1:42 p.m.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/18 4:21 p.m.

I think I saw the problem with your filled mounts. You started with torn mounts to begin with. If you started with brand new ones and filled them, I would think they would last a lot longer than your car would

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/30/18 12:38 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Very likely.   I still stand behind filling mounts as the goto but you get out what you start with.  They held up to 2 years of rallycross abuse.  Still the whole point of filling them and eventually the hockey puck was to keep from having to buy new mounts as the whole build is quite budget oriented.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rUmpJq6HrIawRj9MkMNfyVrnWvTgKmCQM09pWZ9FCetbET9k73FIByKDslhfNrK7