scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
12/28/21 9:17 a.m.

Looking for my soon to be driving daughters first car. She's in love with the Mini Cooper but she's got to have a auto. I had an 03 S years ago and enjoyed it but I'm scared of a used one after seeing all the problems that they have. So how's the non S with the auto? The other option is a VW bug...

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/28/21 9:32 a.m.

Early autos suck hardcore. CVTs that just fail spectacularly with no warning. The 2nd gen got the "normal"  6 speed automatic, and those can have typical automatic issues, but are much better.

https://www.youcanic.com/mini-cooper-automatic-transmission-problems

Unfortunately, the MINIs in the lower price ranges are usually the first years of the first gen, or the first few years of the 2nd gen, and those should be avoided at all costs anyhow. '04-06 first gen cars are better than earlier, and '2011-2013 2nd gens are the ones to get of that generation.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
12/28/21 4:19 p.m.

First gen R53 got an aisin non cvt auto.  It is not great, the valve bodies fail very early due to "lifetime" oil.  I have one in my 06 cabrio, it is on its 3rd valvebody.  The rest of the auto is pretty good 

So if you find one with a replaced vb then it may be a go

Hard no on the justa cvt.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/28/21 4:24 p.m.

I do believe that the 6 speed auto is shared with the VW Beetle, and as such they share the same problems (as was mentioned, the valve bodies and solenoids are issues). A good replacement 6 speed auto trans can, however, cost more than the car did...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/28/21 4:58 p.m.

Talk her into learning to drive a manual?

(someone had to say it...)

Otherwise, over almost 20 years of playing with new MINIs, I agree the automatics are generally to be avoided. 

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
12/28/21 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

That's a probability...

Next question... Which ones worse a Mini Cooper or a Beatle? 

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/28/21 5:53 p.m.
scottdownsouth said:

Next question... Which ones worse a Mini Cooper or a Beatle? 

Well, since the 6 speed auto in both are shared... the issues tend to be the same. But if you're not getting a convertible, the base engine in the Beetle is a bit better. And I think the regular Beetle autobox is a 5 speed, but don't quote me on that. The convertible gets it's own engine with specific parts that are not shared with standard Beetles or any other 2.0 powered VW. I spent way too much time tracking crap down on a convertible beetle to ever want one. So I got a convertible MINI.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/28/21 6:17 p.m.

I also had an 05 R53S with the 6 speed Aisin auto bought new.  The valvebody alone is not the issue.  I replaced that twice in short succession.  Both the dealer and the indie shops wanted more than $10k to replace the trans.  I think it was $6k just for the trans at the time that I sold it about 6 years ago.  

The Beetle is also a nightmare.  Neighbor's daughter had one at the same time we had the Mini.  

Cost of repairs and maintenance on these things are a nightmare.  So is working on them.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/28/21 6:22 p.m.

I wouldn't *recommend* one but if Beetle and MINI are the only options a Beetle with the 2.0 or 2.5 non-turbo is probably going to be the least painful ownership experience. It will hurt, just less than the alternatives.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/28/21 6:30 p.m.

Tell her she can buy one after she graduates college.  Motivation :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KZ18Ypg1EmUnhUA3XFx04MUvD5Fa4LwlXYGbIc7BZLqLwpMxWXxraZdeoYkl3l3U